User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: What do you feed your cat?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Science Diet is a mediocre but heavilly marketed food. Vets that recommend Science Diet do so because they get paid to by the company, not because it's good for cats.
    My 2 main issues with it are that it uses corn as a filler, which is one of the worst ingredients you can feed a cat (Last I checked they called it "maize" to make it sound better) and that it's way overpriced to get people to believe that it's the best food out there when really it's no different than Iams.
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    Science Diet is a mediocre but heavilly marketed food. Vets that recommend Science Diet do so because they get paid to by the company, not because it's good for cats.
    My 2 main issues with it are that it uses corn as a filler, which is one of the worst ingredients you can feed a cat (Last I checked they called it "maize" to make it sound better) and that it's way overpriced to get people to believe that it's the best food out there when really it's no different than Iams.
    that's absolutely true!
    i would stay away from SD
    they have very poor reviews
    and the ingredients are not up to par.
    natynat likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

would you feed your cat wet food, made in thailand?
    SDM sells them
    i'm very hesitant to try it
    only cuz, thailand's safety food standards are not the same as the western world
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    Thank you!!! I am so paranoid now...I will wait for her to finish off the Purina Chow and then buy something else that's better for her. What do your vets recommend? The only one that I'm really familiar with that her vet sells is Hill's products.
    It can be confusing. But in the end you've just got to do the best you can with the resources you have. If you want to stick to dry for now, try President's Choice Nutrition First, or Petsmart sells an inexpensive food called "Simply Nourish," which has simple ingredients.
    Mortgage Queen also gave some great advice for making your own. I would suggest staying away from the chickpeas though. A lot of commercial foods put plant proteins in their foods to get the protein numbers up, but cats are carnivores and they aren't able to digest plant proteins very well. But the rest sounded fine.
    The very best diet for a cat would be grain free, but again, you have to do what you can with the resources you have, and oatmeal and rice are better for cats than wheat or corn.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Mortgage Queen,
    What form of calcium do you put in your cat's food? Do you use calcium pills for people or is there something that would be easier to mix in? How much of it do you use?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One more thing, Natynat,
    If you decide to change her food, don't wait until she's completely finished with her current food. She may turn her nose up at something new at first and her system will need to adjust (so don't be surprized if you see vomitting and/or a change in her poop at first). It's best to introduce new food gradually by mixing it in with mostly old food at first and gradually reducing.
    MortgageQueen likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    would you feed your cat wet food, made in thailand?
    SDM sells them
    i'm very hesitant to try it
    only cuz, thailand's safety food standards are not the same as the western world
    No I wouldn't. . .but pet food is not regulated much anywhere in the world, so. . . .
    frugal50 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    Mortgage Queen,
    What form of calcium do you put in your cat's food? Do you use calcium pills for people or is there something that would be easier to mix in? How much of it do you use?
    Depends on what I can get for a good price. You can get liquid calcium (be careful not to get "mint" or you can but the gel caps. . .prick them with end of a knofe and squeeze them out. .OR you can buy Taurine, which is more expensive but the best option for cats.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Where did you get these recipes that you use? Is there a recipe book for cat food that we can buy somewhere?
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I have four cats age 13 to age 7, two who had PU surgery and one older kitty with uber sensitive stomach kitty IBS. They have been on the Friskies/Fancy Feast/Whiskas since I got them. The two males who had PU surgery they have no hard food because it can cause crystals in there urine and makes them bloat up & slows them down. I do feed GO SENSITIVITY + SHINE™ Freshwater Trout + Salmon hard food to one of them who loves the stuff. Plus temptation treats and the PU kitty gets Purebites or Grumps freeze dried treats.
    I tried them on organic BFF and Weruva but one cat only likes Friskies and nothing else. The older cat gets human food (sweet potatoes, pasta, anything with fibre helps her tummy)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Depends on what I can get for a good price. You can get liquid calcium (be careful not to get "mint" or you can but the gel caps. . .prick them with end of a knofe and squeeze them out. .OR you can buy Taurine, which is more expensive but the best option for cats.
    Thanks! How much do you use though? I'm thinking about trying out your recipe, but I need exact measurements for everything because I'm really nervous!
    I know it's better than commercial food, but I'm especially nervous about not giving enough or giving too high a dose of vitimins and minerals.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over the measurements. What I generally do is just look at the dosage and amount of food and figure out a small dosage per cup of food. the recipe I posted I would probably use 6 gel capsules.(which was enough food for 2 cats for about 10-12 days) As for the liquid , it's usually not as concentrated, so you would have to go by the strength.
    abbasgirl and natynat like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are many websites you can get recipes from. You should take the time and go to several. Some put every nutrient known to man in the food. . . .others are simpler. I personally chose simpler. If you want to go simple. . . .just give them a kitty supplement once in awhile to cover all your bases.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Thank you MQ, you've been so much help!!!
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

A natural source for taurine is clams. Works great if you have a kitty that likes them (I think I have the only cat in the world who hates dairy and seafood).

And if anyone is looking for a complicated detailed diet for their kitty, there are tomes by Pitcairn and Strombeck (get them from the library, these books are $$$$).

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information