User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: What are your thoughts on being a 'Minimalist'?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Really interesting thread.

Right now I can't say that I'm a minimalist because my home has lots of stuff in it, including several boxes I still need to go through from our last move, almost six years ago. (there are a few items I have been searching for since then) We have started the process, but aren't done. There were a number of items we could donate, but lots was just plain junk, mostly of the paper variety, so went to the recycle bin. And I had some hobbies that have left me with lots of supplies, more than I will ever be able to use in my lifetime. Those are the only types of items that I have not felt comfortable getting rid of, because I want to get back to the hobbie. Some life events took me away from it, but with changing circumstances, I want to get there again.

But I don't buy much anymore. We are not big consumers, and really think about purchases before making them. There were several kitchen items that I have wanted for a while, and I put them on my Christmas wishlist, cause I could never bring myself to buy them, wondering if they were really a need or just a want. Wants are okay as gifts, and as a result, I now have a digital scale (sooo happy to have it), a mandoline and a spice rack (mine were are in little baggies in the cupboard, driving my husband crazy). But I really thought about these items before asking for them. Would they serve a useful purpose? Would they be used frequently, not just a few times a year? Did I have the space for them? (we have a small kitchen) Is the expense worth it? (by this, I think about what will I not buy, have or do because I spent money on this, which makes the money not available for something else)

I think that part of the trick to consuming less (which I feel true mimimalism, as opposed to a minimalist decorating style, really is) is to take the time to think about what we purchase. It is easy to make quick, almost mindless decisions to purchase things. When we stop and think, and particularly when we ask ourselves "is this a need or a want", it becomes easier to not buy.
    Last edited by super807; Wed, Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typos
    Natalka and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I've tried many times over the years, just can't do it.

I can keep myself to 'clutterer', at least! I used to be a packrat, lol!
    My, how things have changed in a year! We moved in November to a wee tiny house, and downsized by at least 60%. There is now absolutely no way now to live other than minimally - and it's kind of freeing...

I do miss lots of 'stuff', yes even though everyone reminds me that it's just stuff, it was MY stuff, OUR stuff, and FAMILY stuff..

The poster above reminds me how much it hurt to get rid of crafting supplies, I donated boxes and boxes of them. All those things, as crafters know, you want/need to have on hand 'just in case' - pretty much all gone.
    Last edited by Natalka; Wed, Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:43 AM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

my gracious .. this thread has been inspiring..
    now if i could only get packrat hubby and sons on board i'd be ok.
    i have no issues getting rid of stuff. however.. its mostly there stuff.. haha
    seriously though.. i have the kitchen.. which could still use another go through.. the pantry.. which also includes a 1000lb cast iron grill/pancake thingy that takes up so much room.. buts its dh..s (im not even going to get into the $1000+worth of cake stuff he has too) OR the basement of a 'project' he's been working on for years.
    OI..
    I would love to take a weekend with everyone and do a clean sweep.. we've done it here and there but never totally and not everyone was on board..
    it would make life so much better. heck our life is so cluttered.. i put a pair of sheers from our room somewhere and now i can't find them.. i know they are somewhere....in all honesty.... we cleaned our room a few weeks ago. put everything in our walk in closet to do so...
    its been like that a few weeks.. i touched anything in there.. what does that say.. so im cleaning it today.. and getting rid of stuff..
    our stuff gets put by the front door..so that day it hits the trunk.
    i wasn't going to make resolutions for this year. but im beginning to think this may b the year to declutter..
    anyway.........enjoy your decluttering all.
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    My, how things have changed in a year! We moved in November to a wee tiny house, and downsized by at least 60%. There is now absolutely no way now to live other than minimally - and it's kind of freeing...

I do miss lots of 'stuff', yes even though everyone reminds me that it's just stuff, it was MY stuff, OUR stuff, and FAMILY stuff..

The poster above reminds me how much it hurt to get rid of crafting supplies, I donated boxes and boxes of them. All those things, as crafters know, you want/need to have on hand 'just in case' - pretty much all gone.
    We also downsized and moved into a home with A LOT less closet space. Before we moved, we did a massive declutter and also left quite a bit of furniture behind in our old home for the new owners (per their request we could leave anything we weren't going to need). As for kitchen stuff, my hubby was a little paranoid about me getting rid of so many utensils and extras that we didn't use but it has been absolutely freeing. I can open any drawer or cupboard and know what is in there. And I am still being ruthless and getting rid of unwanted items - the thrift store has been benefiting plenty from us lol. I am so determined to keep our home clutter free.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    now if i could only get packrat hubby and sons on board i'd be ok.
    i have no issues getting rid of stuff. however.. its mostly there stuff.. haha
    I've been going through this. Five years ago we bought my MIL's house from the estate, where a lot of my husbands old junk still resided. I finally figured out that my husband would only remember he wanted to keep something when I would ask. Otherwise, it remained undisturbed until I came across it again. Drastic measures called for drastic means, so now unless I can tell it's very important like legal documents, it's out of the house.

Just to add a funny spin to the story, one day my husband came upon me doing one of my regular purges and he got all huffy and puffy, saying I should be consulting him before throwing anything out. So I'm like, "fine, but first tell me how useful is .... (I pick a piece of paper at ramdom out of the pile) ... an electrical bill dated April 27, 1989?" Yes, there was a bill that old in the basement, and not even for the house we live in.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I posted in this thread a few months ago, and since than I have decluttered even more stuff. Just this weekend I donated two garbage bags full of clothes, and 2 giant boxes full of kitchen dishes and misc. items. I received a good set of pots for Christmas and some bakeware, so all the old stuff had to go. Since I was already cleaning out some kitchen cupboards, I decided to just do them all.

It was the same with the clothing I bought a few new sweaters, lost some more weight so decided to do a crazy closet clean out. I actually get excited when I see my clothes collection shrinking because it means I am too, and it also means the end of the ownership insanity is insight.

This weekend I am tackling books, any books I have read in the last 4 months (about 20) are out the door to be donated to the seniors center. Sounds brutal, but what is the point of keeping a book I am highly unlikely to ever read again. If I love it that much, I can find a digital copy for my Kobo.

A decluttered house now means for me less time cleaning, less time maintaining, far less spending and a serenity of mind that comes from living in a simple home.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information