Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Insane
  • 1 Post By Insane

Thread: Mat/parental leave

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi there
    I'm hoping someone can help me out a bit I was looking on the service Canada site and am now very confused by the info listed as to when you can take mat leave and then the length of parental leave.

When I was last on it almost 6 years ago, I could go on mat leave 8 weeks before I was due and then almost a year on parental.

Can anyone help me try and understand what is normal now? I saw 8-15 weeks before due date for mat and 35 weeks parental? Is that right?

I'm not due until July but want to be as organized as possible before hand.

Thanks for any help!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

How long will I receive EI maternity or parental benefits?

EI maternity benefits can be paid for a maximum period of 15 weeks. You cannot receive EI maternity benefits beyond 17 weeks after the expected or actual week of childbirth, whichever of the two is later.
    EI parental benefits can be paid for a maximum period of 35 weeks. The payments must be made within 52 weeks of the week your child was born or the week your child was placed with you for adoption.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e...tal.shtml#long

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I'm on leave right now.

2week waiting period + 15week maternity + 35 week parental. You can start your EI up to 8 weeks before you're due. But you still have to go back to work 52 week from when you start your EI, not from when you give birth. You cannot receive more than 50weeks of EI. I wanted to go on sick leave before commencing my maternity leave but if I did, my EI would have just run out sooner.
    Natalka likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

And CONGRATS!
    Natalka likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I'm on leave right now.

2week waiting period + 15week maternity + 35 week parental. You can start your EI up to 8 weeks before you're due. But you still have to go back to work 52 week from when you start your EI, not from when you give birth. You cannot receive more than 50weeks of EI. I wanted to go on sick leave before commencing my maternity leave but if I did, my EI would have just run out sooner.
    Actually, the portion about sick leave is untrue.

If you have received sickness benefits before or after your maternity benefits you could receive up to a maximum of 65 weeks of combined sickness, maternity and parental benefits. However, certains conditions must be met during your benefit period...
    From here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e..._special.shtml

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oddduck View Post
    Actually, the portion about sick leave is untrue.

From here: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e..._special.shtml
    Thanks! That's what HR told me. I'm sending them an email now. I bet I could get my leave extended by 13weeks now!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

And this thread even answered many of my queries. Thanks everyone for bringing this question and importantly clearing doubts.
    Life is justified. Individualized Tutoring

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Reviving this thread as I have a question and hope someone can help.

I'm taking a full year off, do I need to apply for parental leave EI nearing the 17 weeks of mat leave or do I apply for both at the same time when I stop working?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post

I'm taking a full year off, do I need to apply for parental leave EI nearing the 17 weeks of mat leave or do I apply for both at the same time when I stop working?
    You apply for both at the same time. I have 3.5 months left of leave, online form is super easy to fill out, just make sure if you are married and changed your last name it matches you sin card, otherwise you need to get that changed first

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

[QUOTE=Insane;5236561]I'm on leave right now.

2week waiting period + 15week maternity + 35 week parental. You can start your EI up to 8 weeks before you're due. But you still have to go back to work 52 week from when you start your EI, not from when you give birth. You cannot receive more than 50weeks of EI. I wanted to go on sick leave before commencing my maternity leave but if I did, my EI would have just run out sooner.[/QUOTE}

I am not sure that your information is correct.

My LO was born in early Sept 2012. I am a teacher and will always be a high risk pregnancy, due to my own per-existing medical conditions. I made it to the end of the school year (even though my gp encouraged me to go on leave earlier). I went onto medical leave (EI) at the beginning of July, had to do 2wks waiting period. I then received 50wks of EI after LO was born (which ended in late August 2013). I did not share any of my leave time with dh because that is what he wanted.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post

When you apply for the benefits you choose how you want it split up. It is automatically counted as being all for the mom, unless you specify otherwise. The maternity benefits automatically roll over into paternity benefits.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    When you apply for the benefits you choose how you want it split up. It is automatically counted as being all for the mom, unless you specify otherwise. The maternity benefits automatically roll over into paternity benefits.

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Thanks you Samantha too.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

[QUOTE=Angela273;5791414]
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I'm on leave right now.

2week waiting period + 15week maternity + 35 week parental. You can start your EI up to 8 weeks before you're due. But you still have to go back to work 52 week from when you start your EI, not from when you give birth. You cannot receive more than 50weeks of EI. I wanted to go on sick leave before commencing my maternity leave but if I did, my EI would have just run out sooner.[/QUOTE}

I am not sure that your information is correct.

My LO was born in early Sept 2012. I am a teacher and will always be a high risk pregnancy, due to my own per-existing medical conditions. I made it to the end of the school year (even though my gp encouraged me to go on leave earlier). I went onto medical leave (EI) at the beginning of July, had to do 2wks waiting period. I then received 50wks of EI after LO was born (which ended in late August 2013). I did not share any of my leave time with dh because that is what he wanted.
    Mine situation was different. I wanted to go on sick leave after babe was born due to injuries I sustained while in labour. It was all a boon-dongle anyways. I think I should have gone on disability. It got all complicated.

Thread Information