User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: So who else doesn't own a dishwasher?

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

When we renovated our kitchen (believe me, it was a need, not a want) to create space, we allowed space and wiring for a dishwasher (for resale value) but asked that a removable cupboard be inserted instead. My boys have always dried the dishes and hubby washes....they have great conversations during dishes duty. I can think back to when my eldest was just a lad of 5 or so, drying dishes, and turning to his Dad to ask, "Daddy, do people get babies like dogs get puppies?" And so arose an opportunity for another father to son talk Boys are older now but conversation still happens by the kitchen sink and conversation can be rare now a days so we'll keep the dishwasher out of the house.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

That's such a sweet story!

We have a dishwasher. For the longest time it was just me doing the dishes and begging DH to get a dishwasher. He finally agreed when I was pregnant with #2.

Now DD helps load and unload the dishes. She'll stand on the chair beside me and put away all the cutlery (no knives though). It's nice to have the help!
    Dee09, macw1960 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I used to have one in my last house. I loved the convenience when I was working 16 hours a day but now that I work part time and am in a home without one I much prefer the reduced cost of doing them myself and not having to 'pre-rinse' everything. I don't think I'd ever get another one, if it was left up to me. My last one was a top of the line Kitchen Aid and I had to clean the filter, change the fittings that came with it to better quality ones (for the water hook ups) and although it advertised that pots and stuck on food would come clean in it, it really never did this properly. Kind of a hassle.
    Angela273, Dee09, macw1960 and 3 others like this.
    OOP: $3844.62 (fuel, food, household, health & beauty)
    Coupons used $901.90
    Average grocery savings percentage: 82.30%
    Gasoline savings percentage: 15.58%
    Accumulated Bonus Value(not yet redeemed): $1032.52

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I have a dishwasher but rarely use it as it takes 1 hour to wash the dishes which I can do in 10 minutes, I enjoy washing dishes minus the sticky pots but I have non-stick so doesn't happen often.
    Dee09, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have one, but only use it when entertaining. As per the previous post, it doesn't take long to do it by hand when there's only a few dishes. But with the pile of dishes after entertaining, the dishwasher can do it faster.
    Dee09 and macw1960 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

momof5boys, if anyone would have grounds to need a dishwasher, I'd say you qualify just by the number in your family.
    That being said, we have never had one, nor wanted one. An uncle once warned me that the hydro would go up, so that was enough deterrent for us.
    Btw...loved your sentimental post about the father son " talks".
    Dee09, macw1960, i_forget and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I didn't have one for years living in rentals. Then we bought our first house in 2007 which came with a wonderful dishwasher. Dishwashing is my most hated job. I don't use gloves and hate getting my hands wet, it just wrecks my nails and drys out my skin. We did have the boys help with dishes too though when we didn't have one. Then when we moved it was chore to just get them to put dishes into the dishwasher, so we threatened to get rid of it and they could go back to handwashing. Most of the dishes made in after that. I still do really dirty pots by hand but use Dawn dish soap, that stuff takes off everything! Just let them soak a bit and voila just about wipe clean.
    Dee09, macw1960, i_forget and 1 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I have one that doesn't work properly and for the most part it's not a problem since the brood are out all day. Most days I have breakfast dishes, my lunch and every-one's supper plates plus any pots and pans used. Takes about 5 mins twice a day.

week-ends, then the Penguinettes do the luch and supper dishes while I do any pots , pans and glassware from the meals. When lilPengiun is taller ..he'll be helping to.
    Dee09, macw1960, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I did have on at my mum house until we sold the house 6 years ago.And he was at least 15 years old...A yellow maytag one;no money for replace it but it worked still great.After in appart...I dont have one ...I saw some have one but you pay a lot more for that and I cannot afford that..So I learned to be my own dishwasher lol But at least I have the facility for a washer-dryer...most important than a dishwasher
    Kitty77, Dee09, macw1960 and 2 others like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

The house we bought 8 years ago had a dishwasher and I wouldn't part with it for the world. Always run it when the rates are cheaper and never use the heat dry.

Run it about 2-3 times a week as there is only 2 of us and sometimes I wash dishes by hand.
    Crochetlady, Dee09 and ticul like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Do it by hand is less expensive in my opinion...I have my dishwasher soap very cheaper.I dont know the price of the soap and the products to clean and maintain the dishwasher running(cleaning grease,cleaning the dishwasher etc......but a dishwasher is so an facility I want later...save up a little time.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The first house we lived in for 25 years and in which we raised our kids, didn't have a dishwasher. Our last name is Moffat so we always joked that we had a 4 speed Moffat, which over the years became a 3 speed Moffat and then a 2 speed Moffat, when we became empty nesters. When the kids were growing up, I gave them the responsibility of cooking dinner one night a week and the deal was that if you cooked dinner you didn't have to do the dishes. They liked that a lot!

In 1998, when we bought a house to open a bed and breakfast, the house came with a dishwasher. If it hadn't had a dishwasher we would have put one in to better sanitize the dishes for our guests. I found that I really liked the way the dishwasher cleaned the glassware. There was no dishwater dullness, in fact the glasses sparkled.

After having the dishwasher, I would have been disappointed to do without one but if our apartment did not have one, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker. With only 2 of us, doing the dishes is not a big deal. I'm happy to say that the apartment we moved into does have a dishwasher. Our utilities are included in our rent so I don't worry about the hydro and water costs of running it. That being said, with only 2 of us, most weeks we only run it every 2 or 3 days.
    Dee09 likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I got my 1st one in 1981. I have severe arthritis and it was almost impossible to do a lot of things. Since then, with some good drugs I`m a lot better but now I`m used to the dishwasher and wouldn`t want to be without. I also run it 2-3 times a week and always use the delay feature to run it in the middle of the night.
    Kitty77, Dee09, ticul and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I don't have one, and don't need one at the moment. It's just my bf and I in the house so it's not that much to wash. I always try to leave my sink empty so that nothing racks up and becomes annoying. My mom has a dishwasher and doesn't use it either. Go figure. Maybe when I have five kids I'll be taking back my words, but for now...no dishwasher lol.
    Natalka, Dee09, cath007 and 1 others like this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

i have one -in my first house and this house-but now i dont use it much just the 3 of us-too much on hydro -i would rather do them by hand-use it when the grown kids are here or big meals
    Dee09 and Anna Michele like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information