User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Petcetera undercharged us, now wants us to pay difference!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

When it's not a scanning error but an error the employee made entering the number on the POS machine I think it's unethical not to pay the total. Means your dh is carrying around a till receipt for $X amount that he actually didn't pay.

One day I was at WM and did $40 cashback but forgot to take the cash with me in all the coupon confusion. When I realized a few stores later, I went back, they balanced the till, realized they were $40 over and gave me my money. They didn't say "sorry, your mistake, you lose! We're all going out for ice cream on your $40 dumbo"

I know employers are not supposed to make employees pay for losses but they do (or they fire them). Not too long ago a gas station employee was killed because someone was doing a gas and dash and he thought it would come out of his pocket.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I have had instances where the debit information was entered incorrectly but luckily for me it was caught before I processed my debit card. I personally think it is up to the store to make sure their employees are entering information properly but it is a cost of doing business. I would be more upset that they went into their personal information to contact me. I have access to peoples personal information but we are not allowed to look it up without them calling us first.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cocottee00 View Post
    Like you said, it was their error, so in my opinion, you should'nt have to pay the difference. The transaction is done, that's it
    I agree!

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by betholio View Post
    When it's not a scanning error but an error the employee made entering the number on the POS machine I think it's unethical not to pay the total. Means your dh is carrying around a till receipt for $X amount that he actually didn't pay.

One day I was at WM and did $40 cashback but forgot to take the cash with me in all the coupon confusion. When I realized a few stores later, I went back, they balanced the till, realized they were $40 over and gave me my money. They didn't say "sorry, your mistake, you lose! We're all going out for ice cream on your $40 dumbo"

I know employers are not supposed to make employees pay for losses but they do (or they fire them). Not too long ago a gas station employee was killed because someone was doing a gas and dash and he thought it would come out of his pocket.
    I understand your point. My opionin is though that the customer is always right. It was your money as a paying consumer. You shop at their establishment and expect a level of service, hence why you would be more than entitled to get your $40 cash back. In the OP's case, again as a paying consumer, they paid what was asked. They bought their merchandise, paid "in full" to the best of their knowledge and left. Their end of the bargain was complete. If the store made a mistake, it's a lesson learned.

As I mentioned before to reference it to SCOP, I've got many items in my day and I too had free items that I had a receipt that said paid in full for. Meanwhile I recieved the items without paying a cent. The reason we get SCOP is because of an employee error..... They fail to update prices so we get the item free. Any of us feel guilty about that?? Anyone ever said.... "No I think I should pay for it because it was an employees mistake" ???
    Last edited by JennyFromTheRock; Sun, Apr 28th, 2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: typed it on my phone and it had many issues lol
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Well it is their mistake for the error and I agree with you that you should not be forced to go back and return the money...However, it is a question of ethics that the mistake was not noticed when paying...I mean would u have noticed if u were being over charged 30? If you didn't and noticed it until after you got home...would you go back and demand for your overpayment back? But still I do agree it is their mistake so they should cover the loss.
    Last edited by aly8887; Sun, Apr 28th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    I understand your point. My opionin is though that the customer is always right.
    Uugh this comment makes my skin crawl. No offense to you Jenny, but the customer is not always right, in fact many times they are wrong but think they are right. But that's a whole new can of worms

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Uugh this comment makes my skin crawl. No offense to you Jenny, but the customer is not always right, in fact many times they are wrong but think they are right. But that's a whole new can of worms
    haha, yeah I understand how it can sometimes be taken advantage of. But in situations like this, where a customer was undercharged unknowingly, or in SCOP cases and such they are. I know people tend to take advantage of it too.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The scariest thing for me here is that the store used your personal information that was provided when obtaining the points/loyalty card to phone you. Had you not been a member of their program you would not even know of the mistake! You would have left the store and they would have had no way of contacting you or finding out who you are! I do take part in loyalty programs but I guess that this is a reminder that these companies are not only providing us with rewards but also gaining information on us and our shopping habits. We all have to be aware that the companies have our info and we have no control over what they use our information for. I would be so mad if they phoned me at home! I do not believe you should have to pay for their mistake. Anyway, just my two cents!
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I am surprised how many people on here say they don't make sure the Amount is correct on the machine when the do a debit transaction!
    CrazyQT, krysta lynne and 2shopmom like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information