• 3 Post By torontogal12
  • 2 Post By renegado
  • 1 Post By crafter
  • 1 Post By crafter
  • 2 Post By fayemercier

Thread: What is the policy?

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I went to SDM last night but forgot to ask. Maybe an avid SDM/Optimum Card fan may know.

1) When purchases are made & points are given, are the points taken back if the item(s)is (are) returned?...I've never done this at SDM but may have to one day so good to know. I know Zellers didn't take back points when purchases were returned(was surprised about that)...For some reason, I'm thinking the'll take them back...not sure though.

2) Will points be rewarded for both purchases if 2 different VIB coupons (points amount could be different for each one though) are used for the same product but in different transactions?

Thanks in advance for your response(s).
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, Zellers
    SavenRaven likes this.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

1) Yes, in most cases, points will be lost on the value of the item returned. If the item was purchased during a promo (20x WUS $50, 18500 WUs $75) Be careful that the value of the item doesn't take you below the promotional threshold of the promo the item was purchased during.

2) Yes, you can buy the same product twice (in separate transactions) and get the VIB bonus coupon points twice.

Hope that helps.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just to add to SavenRaven's post, as long as your UPC codes for the VIB coupons are different (I'm guessing they would be if the point amounts are different) you can use both in 1 transaction, provided you buy 2 of the items.

ie. 1 VIB coupon for 2000BP when you buy Pampers wipes and 1 VIB coupon for 1500BP when you buy Pampers wipes - you can buy 2 pampers wipes in one transaction and use both coupons.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for your clarification on losing points if we return an item bot during a 20x promo. Just want to double check...
    We picked up the ironman3 blue ray/dvd combo on Friday with the 20x cpn. The dvd works but not the blue ray. We exchanged it yesterday during the bonus redemption event. We ran into the same problem, blu ray doesn't work but dvd does. They told us that we could return it if we had the same problem but from my understanding, it could create a problem with points.
    i.e. I spent exactly enuf on Friday to get 25,000 points with the 20x coupon using cash and cpns
    we then redeemed 25,000 points yesterday to get $50.00 in free merchandise.
    So if I returned the blu ray, I would lose points on $31.99(price of Ironman3) and then be short for the redemption we made yesterday.
    So it's best for me to hang onto the combo blue ray/dvd since the dvd still works...right?

Quote Originally Posted by SavenRaven View Post
    1) Yes, in most cases, points will be lost on the value of the item returned. If the item was purchased during a promo (20x WUS $50, 18500 WUs $75) Be careful that the value of the item doesn't take you below the promotional threshold of the promo the item was purchased during.

2) Yes, you can buy the same product twice (in separate transactions) and get the VIB bonus coupon points twice.

Hope that helps.
    oscarandme likes this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    Thanks for your clarification on losing points if we return an item bot during a 20x promo. Just want to double check...
    We picked up the ironman3 blue ray/dvd combo on Friday with the 20x cpn. The dvd works but not the blue ray. We exchanged it yesterday during the bonus redemption event. We ran into the same problem, blu ray doesn't work but dvd does. They told us that we could return it if we had the same problem but from my understanding, it could create a problem with points.
    i.e. I spent exactly enuf on Friday to get 25,000 points with the 20x coupon using cash and cpns
    we then redeemed 25,000 points yesterday to get $50.00 in free merchandise.
    So if I returned the blu ray, I would lose points on $31.99(price of Ironman3) and then be short for the redemption we made yesterday.
    So it's best for me to hang onto the combo blue ray/dvd since the dvd still works...right?
    You may want to update the software on your blu-ray player. I had the same problem in the past and the update quickly resolved it! Good luck
    crafter and oscarandme like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Doesn't matter anymore but Zellers definitely took back the points. I worked at Zellers customer service desk for 8 years.
    Insane, crafter and oscarandme like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Dealigator
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you return the movie, you will lose 6200 points. But if you already redeemed those points, you don't have to worry about your redemption. If your redemption reduced your points balance to less than 6200 points, you will have negative points after returning the movie -- that's all. They can't take back points you've already spent, or charge you $$ for a portion of your redemption merchandise, after the fact, because it turns out you didn't have the points to pay for it. (Is this making sense?)

If you go into negative points, you can continue "earning" points until you're out of the hole, or start again at zero with a new card.

It sounds like a software update is the solution, though.
    Abuse coupons, not people!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by renegado View Post
    If you return the movie, you will lose 6200 points. But if you already redeemed those points, you don't have to worry about your redemption. If your redemption reduced your points balance to less than 6200 points, you will have negative points after returning the movie -- that's all. They can't take back points you've already spent, or charge you $$ for a portion of your redemption merchandise, after the fact, because it turns out you didn't have the points to pay for it. (Is this making sense?)

If you go into negative points, you can continue "earning" points until you're out of the hole, or start again at zero with a new card.

It sounds like a software update is the solution, though.
    Thanks! Glad I asked..good to know for future events too
    oscarandme likes this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by fayemercier View Post
    You may want to update the software on your blu-ray player. I had the same problem in the past and the update quickly resolved it! Good luck
    What a great idea! Didn't realize you could update it. Any suggestions on how to go about updating it?
    oscarandme likes this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Look up the manufacturer online (i.e. Sony) to find the free software update. Save the file to a USB key and then plug the key into the blu-ray player. There may be other ways to update the software - this is what I used

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by fayemercier View Post
    Look up the manufacturer online (i.e. Sony) to find the free software update. Save the file to a USB key and then plug the key into the blu-ray player. There may be other ways to update the software - this is what I used
    Perfect I'll do the exact same thing! Thanks again really appreciate it!
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

I have been able to get around this issue in the past. Yes you will lose your points if you do a straight return off of your receipt. But explain your situation to the manager, and ask them to do an exchange without using the original receipt. I have done this before, where if the item was $15, take $15 worth of other product up to the counter and say, I will buy this other stuff so that Shoppers still has the money I spent to get the points, but this dvd does not work and I want to return it without losing out on my points.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not trying to be smart or anything but are you sure you dvd player is a blu ray player. blu ray will not play on a normal player. just wondering?

Thread Information