User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Laptop or Desktop computer?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    I am looking for a new laptop. I currently have a 17" Dell Inspiron that's about 6 years old and appears to be on it's last legs.
    I must be getting old as all the technology out there now overwhelms me lol

I haven't decided if I want to get a 17" again or go to a 15". I don't even think I want a touch screen. Pretty much all I use my laptop for is surfing; a few word docs, storing my photos and email, and printing coupons (of course!) so I don't think I need anything very powerful or fancy.
    I don't think a want a tablet.

Any input on recommended makes & models would be much appreciated. TIA
    I'm in the same boat. Currently I have a laptop and looking to get a new one. I stopped using my desktop and finally got rid of it.
    I love the idea of being mobile but I also like to have a bigger screen. 17" looks fine but a tad bigger would be ideal for me. I've just started looking and hoping to get a real deal this xmas/boxing day. I saw Dell's XPS 18 Portable all-in-one Desktop online. It might be something I might like to get coz of its size and mobility. Still looking around....
    Youct1959 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Love my 18.9 Sony. There's not many choices above 17.3 today. Here's one...
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10298315.aspx

Another option are external monitors. I recently discovered USB monitors.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Asus-MB168B-Wid.../dp/B00GHAKH6Y

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

desktop all the way, without of doubt

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think for serious work , I prefer a desktop .

For casual things , I prefer a lap top. Usually I am more fast & productive , If I attach a mouse to the laptop. I hate the track pad & other cursor controls on a lap top , I am too slow with the navigation..I prefer a mouse.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    . I'd advise against buying a used laptop because the batteries have only a certain lifespan and they are expensive to replace. Asus and Toshiba are considered premium/high end brands and HP and Acer are budget brands. (Personally I have had a bad experience with Acer working for a company that was too cheap to buy decent laptops...everyone was having issues.) On the other hand, you might get some good deals on desktops which typically have more powerful processors but are at the same time, cheaper than laptops. Set a budget, then see what you can afford.
    I have an Acer laptop and recently replaced the battery for $60 at the Battery Store.
    ROMEO likes this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I have an Acer laptop and recently replaced the battery for $60 at the Battery Store.
    Try eBay. I have bought a number of replacement laptop batteries there. Usually under $12 with shipping. Every single one has worked great.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Which model did you bought? in my opinion, i would rather thd desktop computer,beacuce i love the computer game.haha
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have both a custom desktop and a laptop computer. I actually prefer the desktop by far and spend almost all of my computing time on it vs the laptop.

A nice big monitor with a full sized mechanical keyboard. It's more comfortable/ergonomic to me as well as I can position the monitor up high at eye level and then have the keyboard/mouse at a lower position. The laptop monitor being attached to the keyboard is a major con for me and you're always looking down towards the screen.

I hate using a laptop trackpad but you can easily attach the same wireless mouse as any desktop.

The only benefit to me for a laptop is the portability. I hate that the battery life gets worse over time and after a year or two, you either have to keep it plugged in most of the time or get a new battery. Also once a laptop becomes outdated, it is also hard to upgrade parts and you're better off buying another one whereas on my desktop, I can easily change or add parts with minimal issue.
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have both, laptop and desktop. I feel that laptop is much more convenient. Sometimes when i'm just home from work and it's tired for me to sit in front of the desktop but i still need to use it, then i can lie on the bed and take my laptop. For laptop, i have to say that Macbook is the best.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bought this the other day, http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...2fd63e1651en02
    Very nice. It would have been nice to wait for a sale, but needed one right away. ASUS is ranked near the very top of Laptop manufacturers!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have both, I think that it depends of the usage, for example I have my desktop for programming and laptop for presentations.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Laptop for business, Desktop for family use etc

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

laptop for fun
    desktop for work

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good question

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think if you want to buy laptop .Then amazon is the best place for it ...
    Last edited by peterluke; Wed, Mar 25th, 2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling missing

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information