User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Shopping in the USA

deedah
    We go to the states probably 3 or 4 times a year....I love Walmart....we save it to shop in at night after dinner when we need to walk around and before we go back to the hotel...they are open either late or all night.......
    there stuff is so much cheaper

I am a scrapbooker and things I buy here for my Cricut cutter are $20 at Michaels for 2 pads and Walmart in the states are $7.99 for 2 pads...
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    115 (100%)

I personally go shopping in the US about every other week. If I am there on a Sunday I always pick up the Sunday newspaper for the great coupons. I have A TON of US coupons for food, personal care, cleaning supplies, etc. if you are interested in a coupon train just PM me.

Here are some sites to print online coupons:

http://coupons.smartsource.com//inde...=5S2ZUA6PWPEPO
    http://print.coupons.com/couponweb/O...id=iq37&nid=10
    http://www.auntjemimafrozen.com/index.html
    http://offers.e-centives.com/registr...253D%253D&hp=1

(the last 2 links are for gerber baby/toddler foods)

Hopefully these links work!
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    hi,

we also plan to go to usa to visit relatives and why not go shopping a bit
    i wonder ....
    can we shop for no limit $amount ???
    i mean when you cross the canadian borders, you have to declare evrything you bought.....
    If you stay in the states over night or longer you can buy more things. I'm not sure about the amount but maybe you could check a website like peace bridge.com, or where ever you are crossing. Have fun

Trading Score
    178 (100%)

You have to be in the States for 48 hrs to bring back $400 per person back to Canada. If you stay shorter than that I believe it is $50 fro 24 hrs but nothing for less hrs than that and not sure if you are staying longer how much you can bring back. Keep all your receipts as you will have to show them when you cross back over.

Little tip * if you are shopping for clothing items pack less in your suitcase and wear what you buy then shove it in your suitcase when you cross back over *without the tags* and throw the receipts out* Then you can buy more of other things with your limit.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

thank's
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    178 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessandjake2005 View Post
    I personally go shopping in the US about every other week. If I am there on a Sunday I always pick up the Sunday newspaper for the great coupons. I have A TON of US coupons for food, personal care, cleaning supplies, etc. if you are interested in a coupon train just PM me.

Here are some sites to print online coupons:

http://coupons.smartsource.com//inde...=5S2ZUA6PWPEPO
    http://print.coupons.com/couponweb/O...id=iq37&nid=10
    http://www.auntjemimafrozen.com/index.html

(the last 2 links are for gerber baby/toddler foods)

Hopefully these links work!

Thank you so much for the sites. I am leaving in a week to go to the US so I won't have time for a coupon train but thanks for the offer. Maybe Mia could use it.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

We go about every week. It is not worth it to not declare everything. If you get caught, forget about shopping in the US again. The amount you have to pay for taxes/duty is really not that much.
    If you buy clothing, you pay duty on anything that is not made in Canada, US or Mexico. Personally, I have not been made to pay duty often. Sometimes just the taxes. $10 maybe?
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Thank you all
    i appreciate your help
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (95%)

I usually go twice a week. I live so close! I love it there, was there today. Went to biglots! Did you know that htey have a TON of almay, maybelline, and such cosmetics at dollar tree!? UNBELIEVABLE
    greeny and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Makes me wonder with all the shopping in the states. WHY DOESN"T ANY STORES IN CANADA LOWER THEIR PRICES????
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    not anymore. live too far from the border to make it worthwhile, besides I live near the NY border now, and the us customs ppl are so insanely uptight and rude it's just stupid. makes you just not want to cross the border.
    I travel frequently and I find the Canadian customs agents can be just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by juniperjune View Post
    We go about every week. It is not worth it to not declare everything. If you get caught, forget about shopping in the US again. The amount you have to pay for taxes/duty is really not that much.
    If you buy clothing, you pay duty on anything that is not made in Canada, US or Mexico. Personally, I have not been made to pay duty often. Sometimes just the taxes. $10 maybe?
    Exactly. It's absolutely not worth the risk of getting caught and having your passport flagged for 6 years of secondary inspections. Besides, there are many times they just let you go without paying any duty or taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by twin View Post
    Makes me wonder with all the shopping in the states. WHY DOESN"T ANY STORES IN CANADA LOWER THEIR PRICES????
    Because retailers here are still experiencing record sales. They have no incentive to lower prices when Canadians are willing to pay what the market will bear. The only way to send a message is to stop buying here.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I live close to Port Huron, MI and I go on a few shopping trips a year. Last year my husband and I went down in November when the Canadian dollar was worth more and did about half of our Christmas shopping there. We're planning on doing that again this year.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Wrkghrd
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was in Chicago at a Nike store there and I got clothes for my son for $4 each, tops and shorts....couldn't believe it.

On a recent trip (April) to Walden Galleria, I went shopping at JCPenny. They were having their buy 1 and get the other for .88 sale. I got 2 bags. Great deal!! I never find deals like that here.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Just an FYI to those who shop in the states...

I was in Kmart in Marine City, MI on Tuesday and tried to use a printable internet coupon. They are no longer accepting internet coupons as they have had problems with people photocopying them and presenting them. They do however accept the printable Kmart coupons which I believe you can sign up for on the Kmart website. These coupons are for $5 off when you spend $50+ but they have a quick expiry date.

I was also in Walmart in Port Huron, MI and they still accept internet printable coupons no problem.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by juniperjune View Post
    Hello there! I was wondering if anyone else out there shops at Walmart in the US? We often go to Plattsburgh NY. They have a SuperCenter Walmart open 24 hours there.

I was astounded at how much cheaper their products still are in the US. Also, pick up the Sunday's paper of BURLINGTON FREE PRESS, NEW YORK POST or TROY RECORD for the P&G Brandsaver coupon booklet.

The new Gillette Fusion Phenom razer was under $8!!!! Here it is almost $15. Olay products, at least $5 cheaper. We bought oversized camping armchairs with a footstool for $10. Our shop vac was at least $10 cheaper....

The list goes on. Everything is cheaper. We wait until we need to stock up and head down there. When you factor in gas and duty, we still come out way ahead! And it is something to do at 11pm when you are bored.
    We got Nike runners at JC Penney
    Reg. $80, sale $60, second mark down $49.99, scanner price $39.99.
    Then the cashier scanned her JC Penney flyer for the lady in front of us.
    I asked if there were any coupons, and the cashier found one to scan and punched in a code.
    Glad I asked. Final price $34.99. For Nike!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information