Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lilo0003
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By lilo0003

Thread: Need help deciding on bank for kids

LTJS2
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am opening a bank account for my kids. I had one at CIBC its a long story but I will not be dealing with them in the future. So, I'm looking around for the best options. What is a good rate? Any deals out there -- if you open an account you receive _______.

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Our son's was at our local credit union. No fees, no charges for anything - not until he was 18.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Scotiabank offers free bank accounts for students up until they are done college / university (just have to provide proof). I know ING offers cash incentives, but you have to have cheques to sign up.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My son's was also at local credit union.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know my parents signed me up with TD Canada Trust just because they were with that bank and it just made life easier. I'm still with TD and although I suppose there isn't any sort of incentive to joining, I didn't have to pay for anything unless I wanted a cheque book. I'm now over 18 and I still don't pay for anything (probably because I'm a student). I know a lot of my friends have a limit of the # of times they can use their debit which I thought was very odd when I first heard that because I have an unlimited use.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I like RBC because they were the only one that would offer a bank book. LOL.

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

A few years ago my son signed up at Royal Bank and got a bonus $5 deposit right away. Not sure if they still have that? We live closer to a TD bank, now and we both just switched. No fees. (And I'll be getting a free Samsung tablet just for switching. :D)

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Most banks offer free banking for youths under 18 and then still free as long as you're a student. It'd probably be easier if you bank at the same institution...unless you bank with PC because of the lack of service. If that's the case I'd recommend whoever is closest to your house for his convenience because it'd be free for him.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

we had accounts with TD but when the money earns 1 cent a month in interest the kids learn nothing about saving so we switched to ING. I wanted them boys to learn the concept of saving and being rewarded for it. ING pays 2% for kid accounts and since I have an account already it was super easy. It also makes the transfer of the saved amount of their money simply. We also opened them when a promo was on &\I think they each received 25.00 for the account.
    walkonby likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    we had accounts with TD but when the money earns 1 cent a month in interest the kids learn nothing about saving so we switched to ING. I wanted them boys to learn the concept of saving and being rewarded for it. ING pays 2% for kid accounts and since I have an account already it was super easy. It also makes the transfer of the saved amount of their money simply. We also opened them when a promo was on &\I think they each received 25.00 for the account.
    But with ING you have to send them a physical cheque to open an account with them right? How did your kids get their own account without having another account somewhere else? We ran into that problem because with CIBC they had savings accts, no cheques available, they would not even issue a one time counter cheque so we opened PC no fee accts first, then used the free cheques from PC to open their ING accts. Seems like a hassle, but glad now that we did it.
    xox2010 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    But with ING you have to send them a physical cheque to open an account with them right? How did your kids get their own account without having another account somewhere else? We ran into that problem because with CIBC they had savings accts, no cheques available, they would not even issue a one time counter cheque so we opened PC no fee accts first, then used the free cheques from PC to open their ING accts. Seems like a hassle, but glad now that we did it.
    I opened our ING savings about 12 yrs ago so it was easy to open for the kids as I opened them in thier names and linked to my account. I only sent a check when I first opened the account for me and then was able to link to my other account. You need to send the check in order to link and that it how you can move your money between accounts.
    walkonby likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Last year I got a BMO account for my daughter-came with a 25 free deposit and a discount SPC card which we have used a few times. Not sure if they offer such a deal this summer

Thread Information