User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nelson 4L milk bag - goes off before expiry

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Has anyone noticed that when on the last bag of a 4L package, the milk would taste funny and would form clumps sometimes? This is at 1 week before expiry date. First time I noticed was when my 3yr old said "milk not good" and refused to eat his cereals with milk. So I tasted the milk and it was kind of off.

The milk bags go straight in the fridge once home and supermarket is a 5 mins drive and we put the bags in a cooler bag.

I heard similar experience from a friend with 3rd and last bag going off well before expiry date.

Maybe time to get a new fridge? it's quite old.
    But I'm interested to know if this has happened to others.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Jina; Mon, Jul 8th, 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Yes I have noticed this but only in the summer with this milk. Have you checked the temperature control in your fridge? The reason why I ask is because a few wks ago a bunch of stuff was going bad in my fridge really quickly and I couldn't figure out why. My fridge isn't that old maybe 7 years at the most. Figured out after 2wks that my DS's likely turned the temperature control dial down to 1(which is the lowest setting). I turned it up to 4 now and everything seems fine.
    Jina likes this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetmomma View Post
    Yes I have noticed this but only in the summer with this milk. Have you checked the temperature control in your fridge? The reason why I ask is because a few wks ago a bunch of stuff was going bad in my fridge really quickly and I couldn't figure out why. My fridge isn't that old maybe 7 years at the most. Figured out after 2wks that my DS's likely turned the temperature control dial down to 1(which is the lowest setting). I turned it up to 4 now and everything seems fine.
    Hmmm I have a 3yr old son who likes to open the fridge.
    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check the settings. He might have played with that.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

IMO, that's one of the worst, if not the worst brand of milk I've come across. I've stopped using for yrs & can say Natrel is the best... It even tastes fine after the expiry date.Big price difference too between both brands.
    Jina, GoJays, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shirnette View Post
    IMO, that's one of the worst, if not the worst brand of milk I've come across. I've stopped using for yrs & can say Natrel is the best... It even tastes fine after the expiry date.Big price difference too between both brands.
    Lactancia and Neilson TruTaste brands seem to last longer, taste better and survive past the expiry date. They do go on sale sometimes at Metro for a decent price. We stock the freezer when they are on sale, thaw slowly in the fridge and shake to redistribute.
    Jina, ticul and Shirnette like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the comments. I checked the settings in the fridge and looks like DS didn't touch them.
    So we'll stop buying Neilson milk and try another brand.

Has anyone tried the Costco one? or Beatrice brand?
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I checked the settings in the fridge and looks like DS didn't touch them.
    So we'll stop buying Neilson milk and try another brand.

Has anyone tried the Costco one? or Beatrice brand?

If it's Beatrice that has a Purfiltre line(can't remember as I've been exclusively using Natrel), then it's not bad either. I can agree that the Lactantia brand is good too. I've never tried Costco's brand( maybe you can google it & see if there are any reviews out there.
    Jina and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It also could be that the store you are buying it at doesn't have its cooler at the best temp as well.

Not a fan of Beatrice milk here - we buy Dairyland or, in a pinch, Lucerne at Safeway is good.
    Jina, ticul and Shirnette like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Neilson is the worst milk for early spoilage. We only buy it when there are no other options available. We've started buying the cheap milk from Longo's in the pink bag.. sorry can't remember the name of it off-hand, but never have had a problem with it.
    ticul likes this.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Yes, we also had problems with Neilson, it was spoilt long before expiry date. I even complained Neilson about that. Our fridge is fine, the temperature is always good for dairy products, and that was the very first time.

A small tip. When you suspect something's wrong with milk, just boil that (you can boil in a microwave oven, ours is a simple one, I boil about a minute). If it makes "spongey" (like jello) consistency, discard that immediately!
    Last edited by Mia; Sat, Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
    ticul likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'm going to sound like a total weirdo here, but frankly, I'm happy if my milk spoils before the expiry date because then I just might be able to assume there are fewer chemicals in it that are keeping it "fresh" (using that term loosely...lol)

Here's my rationale for thinking this way: when I was a kid, milk went sour relatively quickly and you could spot sour milk a mile away- it stunk like the dickens and it curdled in the container. Visible clumps, ya know?

Ever notice how milk today doesn't do that anymore? If it goes "bad" you can't necessarily smell it and while it might taste "off," there aren't any of those disgusting curdles and clumps that go "plop plop" when you pour it on your cereal. You usually have to taste it to decide whether it's bad. Nowadays, milk doesn't go sour. When it does finally "go," (after weeks and weeks in the fridge), it rots.

I dunno. Am I the only one who finds this a little disturbing? I mean, it's not disturbing enough that I've gone and bought a cow for my back yard...but it certainly ranks up there along with other things like, "ever notice how all the tomatoes now are perfectly round and firm?" or, "why do strawberries from Costco last a month in the fridge and still look and taste the same as they did one month ago when I first brought them home?" kinds of questions. Things that make you go "hmmmm" in the night.

Maybe I'm just weird.
    gracesmommy, GoJays, Mia and 1 others like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Of course, you are not weird! I so wish, "fooddy companies" would think only 10% of your thinking, but, alas, making money has more deep meaning than health for them.

But in many of so called "third world countries" things are still the same as you described.

Maybe we shouldn't be so much "chemically developed" and so little "naturally derived".

P.S. But I can smell spoilt milk (even without tasting), IMO, I'm too sensitive, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    I'm going to sound like a total weirdo here, but frankly, I'm happy if my milk spoils before the expiry date because then I just might be able to assume there are fewer chemicals in it that are keeping it "fresh" (using that term loosely...lol)

Here's my rationale for thinking this way: when I was a kid, milk went sour relatively quickly and you could spot sour milk a mile away- it stunk like the dickens and it curdled in the container. Visible clumps, ya know?

Ever notice how milk today doesn't do that anymore? If it goes "bad" you can't necessarily smell it and while it might taste "off," there aren't any of those disgusting curdles and clumps that go "plop plop" when you pour it on your cereal. You usually have to taste it to decide whether it's bad. Nowadays, milk doesn't go sour. When it does finally "go," (after weeks and weeks in the fridge), it rots.

I dunno. Am I the only one who finds this a little disturbing? I mean, it's not disturbing enough that I've gone and bought a cow for my back yard...but it certainly ranks up there along with other things like, "ever notice how all the tomatoes now are perfectly round and firm?" or, "why do strawberries from Costco last a month in the fridge and still look and taste the same as they did one month ago when I first brought them home?" kinds of questions. Things that make you go "hmmmm" in the night.

Maybe I'm just weird.
    Last edited by Mia; Sun, Jul 14th, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    ticul likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Big price difference too between both brands.
    Last edited by couponlady; Sat, Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: removed spam link
    ticul likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I consume a lot of cereal, and I did not notice this until I was ready to change the bag, clumps and an odor. But I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger indeed!
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ew, couldn't handle clumps or odor in my milk. Yucky.
    ticul likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information