User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: Loblaws Buying SDM

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Employees at the corporate office are caught off guard. No sign or leak of this at all prior to today....
    torontogal12 and oscarandme like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

After Sobeys bought Safeway a few months back , to make itself much bigger and have a strong foothold out West , I was kind of expecting Loblaws to pull of some major move to stay in the game.

But , I never thought of they taking over SDM , out of the blue for me .

Now , watchout for Metro or maybe even Target to take out Rexall Pharmaplus
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Looks like it was kept very quiet until the Weston family started moving around their stocks (which is also a sign that they know the competition bureau will have an issue with it so they moved stuff to keep them happy)
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Loblaws is also pulling out of Quebec, changing all the Loblaws stores into Provigo.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CouponsAddict View Post
    Employees at the corporate office are caught off guard. No sign or leak of this at all prior to today....
    That's because they can do Insider trading on SDM stock and go to jail like Martha Stewart

Loblaws paid a 27 % premium on SDM closing stock price on Friday , so today Monday , the SDM stock will suddenly go up 27 % or more on TSX

If I knew on Fri ( through a leak ) this was going to happen , I would have bet my house on SDM Stock and be around 30 % richer today ..ha ha ha

But I am sure the SDM executives and top level brass , with their zillions of stock options are laughing all the way to the bank and so are the other shareholder's. Its like bonus redemption , 20 x optimum days for them

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by padfoot View Post
    Omg my friend texted me this morning to tell me about this when she saw it on the news. It's my third shocker this week!
    What's the other two
    carlyincanada likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Maybe you could spend your points on bonus redemption days, and buy gift cards for stores you shop at regularly. That may be a good use of points.
    You can't redeem for gift cards sadly
    pippinelkhound likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

.... Buy a freezer, and stock up on milk. Lots and lots of milk.
    hopesdreams and Ladybug2011 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Yes, Loblaws can be expensive. I have found some deals there. I have also found deals at the other expensive grocery stores - Sobeys and Metro - especially with their loss leaders (flyer items priced very low, to get you into the store).
    Yup and their pink stickered items along with sale prices are not bad.

But thesedays I find the pink stickered items to be usually only 30 % off and not 50 % off ( rarely)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

@Shwa

It's not adding another Canadian company, it is removing one, because SDM will no longer exist and Loblaws will be bigger in size. Just gives Loblaws more clout to add to their #1 grocery store status and now there's one less guy everyone has to compete with.

Unfortunately you can't cash Optimum points for gift cards

Can't figure out how to quote your post...
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Jul 15th, 2013 at 09:48 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    That's because they can do Insider trading on SDM stock and go to jail like Martha Stewart

Loblaws paid a 27 % premium on SDM closing stock price on Friday , so today Monday , the SDM stock will suddenly go up 27 % or more on TSX

If I knew on Fri ( through a leak ) this was going to happen , I would have bet my house on SDM Stock and be around 30 % richer today ..ha ha ha

But I am sure the SDM executives and top level brass , with their zillions of stock options are laughing all the way to the bank and so are the other shareholder's. Its like bonus redemption , 20 x optimum days for them
    SDM stock price on Friday was $ 48.40 and Loblaws is buying them for $ 61.54 ..
    oscarandme likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh no!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    @Shwa

It's not adding another Canadian company, it is removing one, because SDM will no longer exist and Loblaws will be bigger in size. Just gives Loblaws more clout to add to their #1 grocery store status and now there's one less guy everyone has to compete with.

Unfortunately you can't cash Optimum points for gift cards

Can't figure out how to quote your post...
    What happens when you click " Reply With Quote " ? ..is it not working for you

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Item 44 means, of course, in 30 days, the program can be dumped...of course, there will be those issues of customer goodwill and loyalty (along with all those points), so I don't think that will be a concern for a while.

(Wow, all my shopping is at SDM and Safeway--both taken out inside of two months--how about that!!)

Nothing is forever, nowadays!!
    I use DropBox to store my Las Vegas pictures, books, etc., online. It works on every device/computer that I use, and gives you 2.0GB of storage for FREE. Use the link below, sign up, and you and I will both get an EXTRA 500MB of storage, for FREE.
    https://db.tt/UXGIw4Ke

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I expect it'll be similar to what happened to the T&T chain after Loblaws bought them. The sushi counter changed and the a la carte section disappeared (at least in the one closest to me). Everything was sold in trays with their best sellers packaged with their hardest to move items so I could only buy my favourite with my least favourite. Bleah! Also, the same package that used to sell for $x.xx now looks like the same package from above, but when I opened it, I noticed the bottom of the package was raised halfway. They had just made me pay 50% more unwillingly!

They didn't move the PC brand in, but they began a T&T brand which was priced at pennies below their best sellers and began selling them under the T&T name in NF, RCSS, Fortinos, etc. I don't think Loblaws knows what they're doing in this market because I haven't seen any good products like the PC brand has come out with. It's just weird flavoured cookies and products that I didn't really see people buying in the old T&T stores. There must have been marketing studies behind it, but I just don't get it. There are staples like rice and tofu that are comparable, but it's really hard to mess up a re-pack.

Prices seem to be much higher than they used to be as well. The package of California rice we used to buy was 20 lbs. Now it's 15 lbs, but selling for the same price. We go a lot less since the price points we shopped at seem to have disappeared.

Finally, you can trade in your PC points for a T&T GC, minimum 20,000 points for $20 required.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information