User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Split the cheque or separate bill at bars/restaurants ?

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Even when I go out with family we get separate bills unless one or the other is paying for everything. I don't think any of us carry cash on us so it would be too hard to split a bill when we all want to pay by debit or CC!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

i once went out with some friends, had one drink, they kept going. next thing i know they stuck me with the bill. after being stuck with a few hundred dollar tab; a) i never went out with those guys again b) i always ask for separate bill. Don't feel bad or cheap about it. You're money is your business and you should not be expected to chip in on others bills.
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I have been one both ends of this - the patron and the server (restaurant or bar) and honestly I will ALWAYS pay for what I had

There is a difference between going out with a large group and splitting the bill then just 1 friend - usually when it is just with one friend most people tend to share appetizers and each have something else, neither person goes overboard so splitting the check down the middle is justified

Also being a server I don't know why it would be hard for one to split the check - most places now a days have this built into their POS systems - best place to use as a example would be Boston Pizza, it breaks down what each person ordered or the total bill amount on the same check! It is almost common sense when you see a group of people sit at the same table you would assume each was paying for their own stuff unless two parents and kids

You should never feel embarrassed or ashamed to ask to split the bill - why should I pay for someone else who wants to drink themselves under the table, FYI if you are that person that would do this can I be your FRIEND just kidding
    Last edited by Peachykeen2007; Mon, Aug 26th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jayne_a View Post
    i once went out with some friends, had one drink, they kept going. next thing i know they stuck me with the bill. after being stuck with a few hundred dollar tab; a) i never went out with those guys again b) i always ask for separate bill. Don't feel bad or cheap about it. You're money is your business and you should not be expected to chip in on others bills.
    You must have been real mad ..now wonder you never went out with them again.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Tue, Aug 27th, 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Peachykeen2007 View Post
    I have been one both ends of this - the patron and the server (restaurant or bar) and honestly I will ALWAYS pay for what I had

There is a difference between going out with a large group and splitting the bill then just 1 friend - usually when it is just with one friend most people tend to share appetizers and each have something else, neither person goes overboard so splitting the check down the middle is justified

Also being a server I don't know why it would be hard for one to split the check - most places now a days have this built into their POS systems - best place to use as a example would be Boston Pizza, it breaks down what each person ordered or the total bill amount on the same check! It is almost common sense when you see a group of people sit at the same table you would assume each was paying for their own stuff unless two parents and kids

You should never feel embarrassed or ashamed to ask to split the bill - why should I pay for someone else who wants to drink themselves under the table, FYI if you are that person that would do this can I be your FRIEND just kidding
    How do the servers keep track of who ate or drank what when they are in a group of 10-15 ?

Is there a numbering system or do they just remember in their head ?

So if people get up and change seats/positions and move around , is it hard for them( servers ) to remember who ordered what during the sepearate checks ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information