User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Split the cheque or separate bill at bars/restaurants ?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...article589934/

So what do you guys do , when you go out to a bar or restaurant ?

I am not talking about when going out with family or even other family members like cousins , aunts etc.

I am talking about when going out with :

1. Close Friends like best friends etc.

2. Casual Friends ..you are friendly but only hang out once in a while or so..and only in touch occassionally.

3. Co-Worker's ..bunch of people you work with and are friendly with , but mostly in the office and not so much outside the workplace.

This is often a thorny issue for me as I am not much of a drinker and don't really order expensive food either. So splitting the bill rarely works out in my favour...but usually we end up doing that.

But , I like to have a good time when out with friend's , co-worker's etc. But i don't want to look cheap and don't want to embarass myself by asking for separate bills

I get a sense that everyone really wants a separate cheque , but no one is brave enough to say that and want someone else to say that , so that they don't look cheap or spoil the mood themselves, but want others to do that for them.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I actually do pretty OK when we go to a restauarant and the bill is split.

Its the bar , I am more concerend about.

But what's the general etiquette , when 7-8 of you go to a bar and sit down for a couple of drinks.

Do you ask for separate bills the moment you sit down , do you wait for someone else to say that or do you just forget it and wait for the entire one bill to come at the end and then chip in . When you do chip in , do you chip in equally or approximately for what you ate/drank ?

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Just say you need a separate bill because you're paying with debit. That's a good excuse

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Separate biils always. Around here it is pretty standard. I don't think I've ever been to a bar that they assumed everyone was on one bill.

Sometimes in a restaurant, if we forget to ask for separate bills, then we divide the bill based on who ordered what. I've never split the bill evenly between the number of people. That's not a very fair way of doing it as inevitably one person is paying far more than what they consumed and one person is being subsidized by the rest of the group.
    Zonny and LIVE SIMPLE like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

With friends and co-workers we get our own bill. ( I use my cc for everything) and I don't think anyone should "split" the bill when it's not equal anyway.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

we always pay our own way no matter what.. unless someone says hey its on me, who's going to argue
    Last edited by MrsSunshine; Thu, Aug 1st, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
    tjthemanto likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I hate when people split the cheque - like you said, I tend to order the cheapest things on the menu, and just drink water, so I end up paying for everyone elses beer / "lobster" type entrees.
    Natalka and LIVE SIMPLE like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    we always pay our own way no matter what.. unless a relative says hey its on me.
    Do you mention that at the start yourself or wait for the other person(s) to say that ?

Or is it just assumed that's how its going to be when you go out ?

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

tj-if we do go out with anyone, its normally with family, however on the rare occasion, we always do the 'vanna wave' when giving our order.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I go out with friends, we always get separate bills. If it is a special occasion, like a friends birthday or something, I will pick up the bill.
    tjthemanto likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Always ask for separate checks at the beginning, it shouldn't be embarrassing at all.Also it is far easier for the server to know from the beginning, it is a servers nightmare to try and split bills after the fact especially if it is a large group.
    operabob, Ciel and PammieD like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Usually friends and coworkers get their own bills and that request is made at the outset. There are some friends who offer to treat when the meal invitation is made to me (or I say I'm treating if I call them for a meal out). You do have to consider the fact that if a group reservation is needed to get enough seats for dinner if the plan is to go out after work together, find out what number of seats for your outing will initiate the group service charge/tip rate. Then when you tell your group, you might quickly find out who will commit to the outing and who will not.

I have ordered a dish on my bill that I shared with others mostly because some had gotten alcoholic drinks and I thought a couple of bites for all might keep brains and tummies happy until the entrees arrived.
    PammieD likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If neither of us are drinking and I'm out with a friend, we just split the bill in half - it's usually close enough. But when with a large group and there are big drinkers at the table, I ask the server to split the bill.

That said, I find people to be pretty honest with this. Those who are ordering expensive food or drinks tend to pitch in more if it's all on one bill. I can't say I've had too many bad experiences with this.

Then there's this friend I have who always seems to want me to pay for her meals completely! I haven't fallen for it yet, but it is a bit strange...I say, if you can't afford to go out, then don't!
    PammieD likes this.
    Get good karma by joining Tellwut surveys under me!

Be a Smart Canuck! Check out: Canadian Paid Surveys

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

For the most part its always separate checks, personally I like paying for my own meal then I don't have to feel guilty for ordering whatever I want and since I don't drink usually I get a more expensive supper DH and I do have one set of really close friends that when we go out one of us gets supper while the other gets the entertainment.

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Went out this weekend with close friends and we just split the bill... But it works out because we all just shared a bunch of appetizers, entrées, and ordered a few bottles of wine to share...
    I've earned $125 in Amazon GCs in 7 months with SWAGBUCKS! Click here & get started: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/LCFIXE
    AMEX GOLD REWARDS CARD - 1st year FREE & get 25,000 AEROPLAN POINTS when you spend $500 in first 3 months: </SPAN>Click Here</SPAN>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information