User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By alicia
  • 2 Post By r0c0upons
  • 1 Post By natynat
  • 2 Post By tjthemanto

Thread: I have two weeks to find a place to live..

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Back in May I decided to give notice that I would be moving out of my apartment Sept 1st. If you've read any of my previous posts you'd know that I've had problems with mold, things falling apart,an aggressive nosey super's wife and woman that slipped a note about the lord under my door.

So, I went on the hunt right away and found a great place within mine and my boyfriends budget. Applied, got approved and gave a seposit etc.
    Monday morning I got a call saying that the current tenant has decided not to move and I will be unable to move in, they returned my deposit and everything else but it gave me a little over two weeks to find a new place to live. I thought about fighting what they said since I had signed a lease but do I really want to live somewhere where I'm obviously not wanted..

I've been looking at about every apartment/flat within my budget while staying out of the dodgy areas of my city but Ive had no luck. It's either no pets (we have cats), we're too young or 25 other people apply before we even get to look at the place.. we have a lot of students in Halifax and they're all looking too.

So thats my rant, I have two weeks to find a home..trying not to freak out.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

If you're willing to move out of the South End (I am assuming), you can get a beautiful place in Clayton Park. With the bus passes included in tuition, it's not too bad.

I had decent places in South End Halifax and know lots of loads of places that my friends lived. I know some places that say no cats but don't actually enforce it. Good luck with the search!
    Last edited by alicia; Wed, Aug 14th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
    matrix82 and anastasia1009 like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

OK so this is just going off what the last super I had told me, but the said the "no pets" in leases can't actually been enforced. I was wondering when I saw everyone move in around me suddenly had a dog!
    krysta lynne and tjthemanto like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Sucks to be in your place I would've fought for the other place, are they even allowed to do that?? You've given your notice because you assumed that you would have a place to live in, and you've found that place, and finally the tenant decided to stay? But since you don't want to fight for that, I wish you good luck. Did your current landlord find tenants? Maybe you can ask for a month extra if no one has signed a lease yet? Or could you not live with your or your bf's parents until you find a place? Sorry, wish I could offer more advice!
    GoddessDigi likes this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Find out if you have any legal recourse for them doing this. You will probably have losses because of them breaking the lease.
    When I rented my last apartment I was not able to move in when they said and they gave me a discount on my rent because of the issue which covered my losses.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

exactly. they cant evict you once you have been moved in over the pet thing. theres no pets in my fourplex and my one neighnor has four cats, the other has a dog, we have rats (and soon a dog) i think there some fine print out there that says they can prevent you from moving in because of pets, but they cant evict you over it. we didnt say we had pets on our application. and our app actually said no pets. my landlord is aware of them now. i think it is just to cover bases so that if there are damages caused because of the pets it is your absolute responsibility because you signed a lease knowing the landlord didnt want them there
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by r0c0upons View Post
    OK so this is just going off what the last super I had told me, but the said the "no pets" in leases can't actually been enforced. I was wondering when I saw everyone move in around me suddenly had a dog!
    Please check your provincial legislation or call your landlord and tenant board or whatever agency enforces the legislation. It does vary by province. In Ontario, you can be evicted for having a pet in certain instances, but pet clauses in general in rental agreements are unenforceable. However, if I remember correctly, in Nova Scotia they can restrict pets.

I think the only way you can get any money back would be taking them to court for the hardship. But that could be more costly in the end. As natynat said, maybe you could rent on a month to month basis from your current landlord if it has not been rented yet. Sorry I don't have any more advice.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I know right now your freaking out, but, freaking out will only make things worse. Start looking everywhere and anywhere at this point. I know you dont want to be in a certain area, but, you might have to find a place temp. before you find a place you would like to stay in for a good while. Who knows? U might be surpised by what you find.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tmlskk01 View Post
    Back in May I decided to give notice that I would be moving out of my apartment Sept 1st. If you've read any of my previous posts you'd know that I've had problems with mold, things falling apart,an aggressive nosey super's wife and woman that slipped a note about the lord under my door.

So, I went on the hunt right away and found a great place within mine and my boyfriends budget. Applied, got approved and gave a seposit etc.
    Monday morning I got a call saying that the current tenant has decided not to move and I will be unable to move in, they returned my deposit and everything else but it gave me a little over two weeks to find a new place to live. I thought about fighting what they said since I had signed a lease but do I really want to live somewhere where I'm obviously not wanted..

I've been looking at about every apartment/flat within my budget while staying out of the dodgy areas of my city but Ive had no luck. It's either no pets (we have cats), we're too young or 25 other people apply before we even get to look at the place.. we have a lot of students in Halifax and they're all looking too.

This clause is illegal. ( atleast in Ontario , probably in Halifax too )

http://www.thestar.com/business/real...forceable.html

Lie and don't tell them you have pets.

After you move in , there is nothing they can do , even if you have signed the lease with no pets clause.

They can't make you sign something that's invalid and even if you did there is nothng they can do.

If a no pets and no smoking clause is written into a lease and the landlord discovers that the tenant has a pet and/or smokes in the rental unit, is this grounds for the landlord to evict the tenant?

A landlord cannot evict a tenant because they have a pet in violation of a "no pets" clause in the lease. The RTA does not address smoking. However, a landlord may have grounds to apply to evict a tenant, either for having a pet or for smoking, if the pet or smoke damages the property or bothers other tenants.
    Q6: The landlord says I must either move out or get rid of my pet; Do I?

A6: Only if the pet is dangerous, causes allergic reactions or causes problems for other tenants or the landlord, must you get rid of your pet or consider moving elsewhere as perLandlord application to terminate tenancy based on animals.
    Even if you signed a lease with a "no pets" clause, if the pet is not a problem for anybody they can not enforce it; such no pets clauses are invalid under the law.
    You do not have to move or get rid of the pet unless the Board issues a written order to do so.

r0c0upons and Tommycoupons like this.

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

... You can make them cover a lot of your costs for moving including first and last month's rent for the new place. And you do not have to disclose to a landlord that you have pets, and if/when they find out after that you do have pets, they can't evict you because of that (though they may try- they cannot). BTDT Call your local legal clinic.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tmlskk01 View Post

If are you looking for a one bedroom, try 5650 south street. They allow cats and are reasonable in price around $800. They are very strict however on noise, and it's not a fully redone apartment but everything works within the apartment and no mice, mould etc. The phone number is on the sign outside the building. They do not advertise very often. Have several friends who live there for several years.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Thread Information