• 1 Post By kicklegs
  • 2 Post By blackbingocat
  • 2 Post By Kerricakes
  • 2 Post By veebee

Thread: A List of Places to Donate Your Possessions in Kitchener-Waterloo

Oh, hello there.
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone with the generosity to donate! I am shocked by how many people simply throw away things when they are done with them. Inspired by a question on the board asking for places in Kitchener-Waterloo to donate, I decided to start a fresh thread with my suggestions, and please, please, let us know where you donate food, clothing, and even your time. Let's keep adding to the list until it is a comprehensive thread on charitable giving!

1. Canadian Diabetes Association allows you to schedule a FREE donation pick-up, right at your door, and you can schedule by phone or even online! I give to them a few times a year, as soon as I get four fair-sized boxes of clothing, books, magazines, small housewares, and shoes. All you have to do is mark the boxes/bags with the letter "D" so they know what to take (as in, not your patio chairs, hah!) and place them out on the date they tell you in the morning (leave it out overnight if you don't think people will steal it -- I have the benefit of a covered front porch) and by the time you get home from work, they've picked it up and you've done nearly nothing! It's my favourite method of donation as I do not drive, and schlepping boxes of coats on the bus in the dead of winter is a little slice of hell on earth to me.

http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/...-promise-form/

2: Several grocery stores have wire bins at the front of the store or by the cash checkouts for non-perishable food donations. Valu-Mart in The Shops at Waterloo Square (Waterloo Town Square, 75 King Street South, Waterloo) comes to mind, as it's the only place I've personally donated. They are open every day until 10 pm.

3: Worth a Second Look employs disabled and those working toward a better life in their store as well as for pickup, as they are part of The Working Centre. If you call them, they will pick up all sorts of things, free of charge. I donated a gigantic wall unit I otherwise could not have moved. It is also an awesome store to shop, as they have all sorts of art, SO MUCH furniture, toys, fabric, and exceptional housewares such as vintage glasses and china. They also accept donations of toiletries.

Give them a call at 519-569-7566. They are located at 97 Victoria Street North in Kitchener.

http://www.theworkingcentre.org/worth-second-look/166

4: Bibles for Missions (BFM) is hand-down the BEST thrift shopping experience I have ever had, here or in London or even in Toronto. It is AMAZING. The prices are so low to begin with, but they also have colour tag sales so you are in for a bargain, no matter what. They have high quality clothes, great shoes ($4 usually!), housewares, books, lots of fabric and crafting supplies, as well as a lower level accessible by elevator for hardware, large electronics and furniture and the like. I love to donate to them when I am in the area because it is also helping those of us who can only afford to thrift shop by enhancing our shopping experience.

Drop off at side door after hours, or in-store during store hours Monday-Saturday 10:00AM – 5:00PM, Sunday & Holidays CLOSED
    27 Scott Street, Kitchener
    http://www.bfmthriftstores.ca/kitche...-thrift-store/

5: Last but certainly not least, in addition to always needing financial donations, the KW Humane Society has a Wishlist for care of animals awaiting adoption. They do not require food donations anymore, but things like your used towels that would not be appreciated for humans can give comfort to homeless animals. This is also a great place to give excess vegetables, as you can see from the list below of this Wishlist, from their site. They are located at 250 Riverbend Drive in Kitchener.

http://www.kwhumane.com/
    Gift Cards
    Walmart• Zehrs • Canadian Tire • Home Depot • Pet Stores
    Animal Daily Needs
    KMR (kitten milk replacement • Small nursing bottles for kittens
    Non-clumping litter • Carefresh • Rabbit pellets • Rabbit and small animal food Aspen shavings • Soft dog treats (for training)
    New or used blankets and towels • Timothy Hay (for rabbits)
    “Field Greens” salad mix • Apples • Carrots • Peppers • Celery • Broccoli
    Silkworms • Hygrometers • Thermometers
    Calcium Sand • Treats for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
    Light Bulbs for Reptiles (Red & White, under 150W)
    Decor for Reptile Tanks • Dome Light Fixtures • Basking Bulbs
    Care Guides for Birds and Reptiles • Cricket Food and Cricket “Quencher”
    Chew sticks/toys • Vinegar (for cleaning small animal cages)
    Battery-Operated Digital Kitchen Scales (for weighing immature kittens)
    Grooming
    Standard grooming scissors • Oster & Whal clippers • Pet shampoos
    Clipper blades sizes 5, 10, 30, 40 • Scissor-type nail trimmers
    Training
    Nylon martingale collars • Kong toys • Strong nylon leashes
    Flat nylon leashes & collars • Books on dog behaviour
    First Aid for Animals
    Preparation H (brand name only please) • Bandage material/vet wrap
    Mineral oil for cleaning ears
    We also accept Canadian Tire money and Zehrs tapes.
    KWHS no longer needs dog and cat food donations as Iams
    generously donates all nutritional needs for the KWHS dogs and cats.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Walmart, Zehrs
    Kerricakes likes this.
    For $10 off for new customers at www.well.ca please use promo code KicklegsSmartestCanucks
    Surveys that pay! https://legerweb.com/RMBY0

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

WOWEE Kicklegs what a remarkable and informative message you are sending to us. Extremely helpful and very kind of you to do so. I was not aware of everything you had mentioned. Hopefully more of us will get involved.

THANK YOU so much for all of this very worthy information. Bless your heart!

Gwen

Quote Originally Posted by kicklegs View Post
    Thank you SO MUCH to everyone with the generosity to donate! I am shocked by how many people simply throw away things when they are done with them. Inspired by a question on the board asking for places in Kitchener-Waterloo to donate, I decided to start a fresh thread with my suggestions, and please, please, let us know where you donate food, clothing, and even your time. Let's keep adding to the list until it is a comprehensive thread on charitable giving!

1. Canadian Diabetes Association allows you to schedule a FREE donation pick-up, right at your door, and you can schedule by phone or even online! I give to them a few times a year, as soon as I get four fair-sized boxes of clothing, books, magazines, small housewares, and shoes. All you have to do is mark the boxes/bags with the letter "D" so they know what to take (as in, not your patio chairs, hah!) and place them out on the date they tell you in the morning (leave it out overnight if you don't think people will steal it -- I have the benefit of a covered front porch) and by the time you get home from work, they've picked it up and you've done nearly nothing! It's my favourite method of donation as I do not drive, and schlepping boxes of coats on the bus in the dead of winter is a little slice of hell on earth to me.

http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/...-promise-form/

2: Several grocery stores have wire bins at the front of the store or by the cash checkouts for non-perishable food donations. Valu-Mart in The Shops at Waterloo Square (Waterloo Town Square, 75 King Street South, Waterloo) comes to mind, as it's the only place I've personally donated. They are open every day until 10 pm.

3: Worth a Second Look employs disabled and those working toward a better life in their store as well as for pickup, as they are part of The Working Centre. If you call them, they will pick up all sorts of things, free of charge. I donated a gigantic wall unit I otherwise could not have moved. It is also an awesome store to shop, as they have all sorts of art, SO MUCH furniture, toys, fabric, and exceptional housewares such as vintage glasses and china. They also accept donations of toiletries.

Give them a call at 519-569-7566. They are located at 97 Victoria Street North in Kitchener.

http://www.theworkingcentre.org/worth-second-look/166

4: Bibles for Missions (BFM) is hand-down the BEST thrift shopping experience I have ever had, here or in London or even in Toronto. It is AMAZING. The prices are so low to begin with, but they also have colour tag sales so you are in for a bargain, no matter what. They have high quality clothes, great shoes ($4 usually!), housewares, books, lots of fabric and crafting supplies, as well as a lower level accessible by elevator for hardware, large electronics and furniture and the like. I love to donate to them when I am in the area because it is also helping those of us who can only afford to thrift shop by enhancing our shopping experience.

Drop off at side door after hours, or in-store during store hours Monday-Saturday 10:00AM – 5:00PM, Sunday & Holidays CLOSED
    27 Scott Street, Kitchener
    http://www.bfmthriftstores.ca/kitche...-thrift-store/

5: Last but certainly not least, in addition to always needing financial donations, the KW Humane Society has a Wishlist for care of animals awaiting adoption. They do not require food donations anymore, but things like your used towels that would not be appreciated for humans can give comfort to homeless animals. This is also a great place to give excess vegetables, as you can see from the list below of this Wishlist, from their site. They are located at 250 Riverbend Drive in Kitchener.

http://www.kwhumane.com/
    Gift Cards
    Walmart• Zehrs • Canadian Tire • Home Depot • Pet Stores
    Animal Daily Needs
    KMR (kitten milk replacement • Small nursing bottles for kittens
    Non-clumping litter • Carefresh • Rabbit pellets • Rabbit and small animal food Aspen shavings • Soft dog treats (for training)
    New or used blankets and towels • Timothy Hay (for rabbits)
    “Field Greens” salad mix • Apples • Carrots • Peppers • Celery • Broccoli
    Silkworms • Hygrometers • Thermometers
    Calcium Sand • Treats for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
    Light Bulbs for Reptiles (Red & White, under 150W)
    Decor for Reptile Tanks • Dome Light Fixtures • Basking Bulbs
    Care Guides for Birds and Reptiles • Cricket Food and Cricket “Quencher”
    Chew sticks/toys • Vinegar (for cleaning small animal cages)
    Battery-Operated Digital Kitchen Scales (for weighing immature kittens)
    Grooming
    Standard grooming scissors • Oster & Whal clippers • Pet shampoos
    Clipper blades sizes 5, 10, 30, 40 • Scissor-type nail trimmers
    Training
    Nylon martingale collars • Kong toys • Strong nylon leashes
    Flat nylon leashes & collars • Books on dog behaviour
    First Aid for Animals
    Preparation H (brand name only please) • Bandage material/vet wrap
    Mineral oil for cleaning ears
    We also accept Canadian Tire money and Zehrs tapes.
    KWHS no longer needs dog and cat food donations as Iams
    generously donates all nutritional needs for the KWHS dogs and cats.
    kicklegs and Kerricakes like this.

Trading Score
    155 (100%)

Also consider Anselma house in Kitchener, they are part of women's crisis services. This is a place I donate all the time and is very close to my heart as my family used thier services some time ago. They take any health and beauty items/food items/baby items. They will even sometimes take new clothes and toys(around christmas). They do not take any medicines.

Anselma House
    700 Heritage Drive
    Kitchener, ON N2A 3N9
    Tel 519.741.9184 Fax 519.741.1478
    kicklegs and veebee like this.
    RRRRRLF - FPC's for Schneiders/FPC for Prime Turkey/$4 Easy ups from Pampers portal/ $2 Lacoupe/$5 Arctic Gardens/FPC Huggies&Pampers wipes/FPC Barilla/FPC Milk ~ Mean People Suck!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

thanks for this list.
    I just wanted to add another place- the House of Friendship. I have sent coupons there, and to the Anselma House before, as well as donated goods.

VeeBee
    kicklegs and Kerricakes like this.

Thread Information