User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: assisted suicide

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

3 words - PTP = pull the plug. Do not let me suffer.
    madchives, TaraF, Lynn49 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I want to know why i was allowed to afford my dog the chance to stop before the pain got to be too much and why a human is not afforded the same option. We are not giving a death sentence here, it is already in place. This is a matter of reducing suffering. This should be a option if the patient chooses it and has let others know of the choice.
    madchives, TaraF, Lynn49 and 6 others like this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

heard this on monday, first thing after a nap of about 26 hours (shut down after breaking bad etc)

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Toronto/Audio/ID/2409605873/

open link in new tab, gets you there

is mostly a call in show, and does give a few thoughts/hopes of people
    and 2 (i think) medical people too
    darn heartbreaking of course, and for me the guy who's dad suffered for weeks
    with cancer, that when his dog suffered from it too was told, 'we should put him
    to sleep.'
    warning is an hour long with a fast news break halfway through.

i would never argue about this, just would hope that someday,
    a person would be able to choose and a way to do so would be
    infallible.

is something i would wave a sign about, just as i did for something
    that never affected me, pro-choice (ie abortion rights)
    and something that has - gay rights, hell batting 2 for 2.
    sorry sometimes, i have to have some humour
    but
    i think this will affect a lot of us, damn and has already
    Last edited by madchives; Fri, Oct 10th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

andi!!!
    you never ramble and i have known long enough to also know one would be nuts to
    ever consider you uncaring.
    what you said reminded me of this vid, posted in the radio thread.

paul also had cp
    and no i do not think everyone should spend all day reading/watching/listening to
    what i posted, haha, just me attempting to explain show what i have heard lately.
    (btw, my sound jumps in volume, with that vid)
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Assisted Suicide/Dying with Dignity. The concept has popped up in the news again as a 29 year old Oregon resident has scheduled herself to die on November 1. She isn't from Oregon but there are only a handful of states that allow assisted suicides and so she had to uproot her family in order to be able to die with dignity. Her name is Brittany Maynard, and she is originally from San Francisco and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 Glioblastoma (malignant brain tumour). She was only given 6 months to live. Instead of letting her cancer take her she wants to die on her own terms. I personally don't blame her. I've always been one who has thought that we should be able to have the right to die with dignity. It's got to be a hard decision to make and one to not be taken lightly.

Didn't Montreal pass a right to die legislation recently?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you are right tara, been feeling like why wouldn't someone have that right for years.
    sue rodriguez's end of life was awful
    TaraF and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Assisted Suicide/Dying with Dignity. The concept has popped up in the news again as a 29 year old Oregon resident has scheduled herself to die on November 1. She isn't from Oregon but there are only a handful of states that allow assisted suicides and so she had to uproot her family in order to be able to die with dignity. Her name is Brittany Maynard, and she is originally from San Francisco and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 Glioblastoma (malignant brain tumour). She was only given 6 months to live. Instead of letting her cancer take her she wants to die on her own terms. I personally don't blame her. I've always been one who has thought that we should be able to have the right to die with dignity. It's got to be a hard decision to make and one to not be taken lightly.

Didn't Montreal pass a right to die legislation recently?
    Oh, my, how much peace and serenity my Friend would have had in passing, if she had this opportunity. As a Mom, her Mom brought tears to my eyes; I don't even want to imagine what she's going through as a Mother. Bless Brittany's heart for speaking out, for her bravery, for her advocating for everyone's right to die in peace instead if writhing in pain like my Friend, Janet, did.
    madchives, TaraF, ninna and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

there are a lot of times i look back at what i posted and think i should delete,
    but didn't here, so sorry about that,

any one have any idea what i could say to someone i met (once/twice) and is my dad's
    girlfriend's daughter in the palliative care area of the hospital?
    i feel personally that although i barely know her,
    i'd like to see her. and with any luck say something, although what can ayone say,,,

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

So, is it your Dad's girlfriend's daughter who's ill, or her Mother?

Well, anyone who's lost someone to any disease just needs someone to listen, rather than sermonize or pontificate. Just tell her you're sorry for what she's going through, that you wish you had the right words to make the hurting stop, and that you're there for her if she needs someone to talk to.....nothing we say can make it better or make the pain go away, we can just say we care, that we're there if they need a shoulder to lean on....
    elayjosh, madchives and TaraF like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

In case some of you don't visit the "health" thread: Vision TV tonight, 9pm, Medically Assisted Dying.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

CNN is reporting that Brittany Maynard has died. She had originally scheduled to die on November 1st but said yesterday she still felt enough joy. She was 29 and had terminal brain cancer, stage IV glioblastoma multiforme. Her obituary is here. I hope that she can Rest In Peace. Cancer is a B*tch, but she tried to fight for other's to have the right to die with dignity, to have the option of a medically assisted suicide if they themselves were terminally ill, while whe was dying. What a beautiful soul.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

May Brittany rest in peace and be welcomed into the loving arms of God.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/brittan...ry?id=26644431
    madchives, TaraF and Patty Smyth like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Lynn, Brittany is my hero. Advocating for the terminally ill when she herself was dying. I read a very interesting article on CNN tonight that explained more about medically assisted suicide, and it really opened my eyes to the reality of it. Doctors really don't do anything. That choice is in your hands. In Brittany's case (as per the People magazine article I read) she was to dissolve tablets in water and drink the water and she would fall into a slumber. There is no Dr around when this occurs. Please, read below.

But physicians are not actively involved in physician-assisted suicide. In jurisdictions where physician-assisted suicide is permitted and where proper safeguards are in place to prevent depressed or otherwise ineligible people from access to lethal drugs, physicians play a standard medical role of ascertaining applicants' eligibility for the appropriate medications. Then the physicians get out of the way.

Where physician-assisted suicide is allowed, physicians withdraw from this role -- they stop blocking our free access to the drugs we need to end our life. They are not administering death by writing a prescription.
    Just the opposite, they get out of our way as free people and allow us to do what we want to do. Physicians cease their active blocking role and literally do nothing. We are the ones who act to end our lives
    The full article is HERE

But the part of the article I most agree with is this. Truly.

There are many who, on religious or other grounds, oppose suicide in any form. I respect their beliefs, and I would defend their right to refuse to end their lives by their own hand. But mutual respect here also requires that we allow others who believe differently to end their lives in the way they see fit, as Brittany Maynard has now courageously done.
    madchives likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

This ended up coming across my facebook feed tonight and her words hit me hard.

Name:  bm.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  53.8 KB
    madchives and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i'm glad she was able to die on her own terms... she fought her battle and knew it was a losing one in the end and decided instead of watching everyone around her suffer as she suffered she made the choice to end it with dignity and grace and i wish the stigma attached to it would disappear and allow people to have the choice if they wish to live or die on their own terms
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information