User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Nanny Hours

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi,

my wife and I are considering getting a live-in nanny, and I'm wondering about how parents who have one have managed the nanny's schedule. I know that a nanny's work-week is 40 or 44 hours, and I understand that you can build a schedule with your nanny that involves working at some times of the day and not others i.e. a "shift" doesn't have to be a continuous 8 hours, but can instead be a few hours in the morning, some hours in the afternoon, and a few hours again in the evening. I understand also that hours can be spread over more than 5 days.

Has anyone taken an approach like this (irregular schedule)? If so, how has it worked out? Any advice or watch-outs about an approach like this? Thanks,
    jeff
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

If I was you, I'd start off by looking at your province's rules and then your local authoritie's rules..

There may be some local groups where 2 or more family's share a nanny to reduce costs..

Other potential pit-falls..

work required by host family...child-care and/or other related tasks..does the nanny need to do laundry/cook/clean after the children.Pick up from school??

regular time off? Do you want to monitor his/her time off?? esp as he/she is living in your home..Is he/she allowed friends in your house? while you are there or not??

Will out of hours care be a one -off emergancy? or are you /your spouse on call-out or otherwise needed to be availible for work at short notice?

Who is the primary parent? Do you both agree vis-a-vis with regard to your standard parenting and are able to write out a contract for the nanny to follow without any " I didn't agree to this" by one or other of the parents??

What happens if the nanny has an emergancy of his/her own ? Will you have cover availble for him/her?

I'm sure I have some more talking points....I'll get back to you..
    Natalka likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you can call Sarah at 416 8405637, she is working for FreeFromCare agency, specializing in Live in Nannies. They provide free consultation with no obligation, she will definitely know the answer. We had two nannies from them and she always was very helpful.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here is their site if you need freefromcare.ca

Thread Information