User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I have an old pump from when I had my son, but it is D-O-N-E. I am going to buy a new one. The problem is there are soooo many choices! I can not afford $300+ for a Medela. I wanted a double so that it can go faster. I am breastfeeding, but I know I will need my “liquid freedom” so that I can sleep or stare off into space quietly by myself, etc…. J

My question is this: Which one to buy? I know there are older threads out there on this subject, but it has been a few years…

The Medela Swing, Lansinoh Affinity Double electric, or the cheap choice the First years double Mipump?

I want double preferably and I do not want to spend over $180 Max. If I will pump max once a day is the cheap choice, The 1st years, Ok? Or go for Gold, Medela, and who cares if it is only single pump because it’s worth it?

And I will not go for Manual, thank you.

Thanks for your input!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was determined to get the best pump for my money and I spent a lot of time reading reviews and talking to other Mom's. Finally I decided to suck it up and go for Medela. But I really wanted the pump in style one (double electric) and not the single electric swing model. So I search kijiji until I found someone selling the pump in style, still in the sealed box for 250. This pump is 425 including tax at babiesrus. When I was searching I found many people selling brand new pump (most people had received an extra one as a gift). I just had to wait it out until someone had the one I wanted. Now I love my pump! I wanted the double since I will be going back to work and needing to pump at work, during the day and I wanted to do it as quick as possible. However at home I mostly just use it as a single pump, that way I have milk for the baby if he wakes up and decides he wants to be fed immediately. If I pump both breast I often end up giving him the milk I just pumped. Long story short - if you are not needing to pump all of the time, just go with the single. You will be better off getting the best single pump you can get for your price point.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have the medela swing and I like it. I only pump once a day though so I saw no need for a double (plus I didn't want to spend that kind of money and not breast feed for that long). I did have a problem with suction a month or so ago (where I was using it at max) but I think that was more my supply dropped really low. I had a lot of problems with supply from the start. Now that my supply is back up it is great . It definately works for me. I also like that its small and easily stored and everything fits into its little bag.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I think I am leaning towards a Medela Single Swing. I want something that will last.

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

I bought a used Medela pump in style (double electric) on kijiji for $80 and then replaced all the parts (bought brand new in packages on ebay for $40) so I got an awesome pump and all brand new parts for $120!

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I just got my Ameda Purely Yourse from Welll.ca this afternoon. I haven't tried it out yet as I'm mostly breastfeeding and only pump right before bed and first thing in the morning.

There is a deal on at well.ca that if you spend 40 dollars or more you get ten dollars off. So I got a brand new pump for $203 and that included tax and shipping. I've heard it is just as good as the hospital grade pump so for me it was worth every penny.

You cannot return a breastpump once it has been opened to any store. This is because there is no one hundred per cent guarantee that bacteria doesn't get into the pump if someone else uses it. I just wouldn't have felt comfortable buying a used pump, but if it works for you and you don't have any problems, all the power to you!
    Last edited by ashokia; Tue, Aug 2nd, 2011 at 01:01 PM.

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashokia View Post
    I just wouldn't have felt comfortable buying a used pump, but if it works for you and you don't have any problems, all the power to you!
    I'm curious as to how the bacteria would get into the pump? I replaced all of the parts, including the tubes and the milk doesnt even go into them! The only part that's original is the motor, and if milk got into that (I dont even know how it would) then the pump would stop working anyways.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by linnyeg View Post
    I'm curious as to how the bacteria would get into the pump? I replaced all of the parts, including the tubes and the milk doesnt even go into them! The only part that's original is the motor, and if milk got into that (I dont even know how it would) then the pump would stop working anyways.
    No, my old one the milk sprayed all over and it over pumped and backed up. I believe the only one that guarentees not to go back from the tubes is the Ameda Purely Yours.
    Health Canada and the USDA does not recomend buying a used Breast Pump. I looked into it and replacing all the parts, but I have not seen one that is cheap yet.

Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I have the swing and it is a decent pump, I like that you can clean inside the pump if milk gets in there, or if you decide to buy a used one you can clean the inside.

I however am now wishing I had bought the freestyle, it's so hard to find time to pump and to spend nearly an hour doing it (about 20-25 each side until it's empty! ;().

I also recommend pumpin' pals if you can make the investment, they are a set of 3 different sizes flanges, slanted so you aren't hunched over and they fit *so* much better then medela

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

some pumps no milk touches the pump iself.. personally i'd go for he medela, it is by far the best pump brand out there, you can buy replacement parts of need be *unlike many other pumps) it a comfy pump

like another mentioned you can try and find one second hand get the pump you want for the price you want
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

There is a great article here that discusses the dangers of used breast pumps. I found the link on kellymom.com when I was first looking into buying a breast pump. I guess as a first time mom and the only one in my family to have children so far, I'm probably more paranoid then I should be. LOL.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

There is a great article here that discusses the dangers of used breast pumps. I found the link on kellymom.com when I was first looking into buying a breast pump. I guess as a first time mom and the only one in my family to have children so far, I'm probably more paranoid then I should be. LOL.
    Ok, you had me convinced at "cracked bleeding". I never thought about the transmission of HIV through a used breast pump.

Not worth the $$, not my life. Thanks for the reassurance I should go with new. No question now.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Yeah, that one got me too, because my first night with my little booger, I had a cracked nipple.

On a positive note, I tried my new breastpump (The Ameda Purely Yours) once last night and once this morning and it works just great! (It does seem to be a little loud and it kept making a sound like, "Bathroom, Bathroom, Bathroom" which made me have to go pee really bad! The suction seemed just as good as the hospital model though, which I'm happy with!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Yeah, that one got me too, because my first night with my little booger, I had a cracked nipple.

On a positive note, I tried my new breastpump (The Ameda Purely Yours) once last night and once this morning and it works just great! (It does seem to be a little loud and it kept making a sound like, "Bathroom, Bathroom, Bathroom" which made me have to go pee really bad! The suction seemed just as good as the hospital model though, which I'm happy with!
    LOL! Too funny.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Medela and Ameda are the best, you get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap pump, you may not get as much milk as quickly and it may be painful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information