User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: STOLEN Gift Card Balances - HELP !!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sadly Pin Codes aren't going to stop scammers in most cases when they are used in-store because the pin code is not even used to verify the gift card.

This has been going on for years and SDM and many other retailers that have gift card 'Malls' has known about this for a long time and nothing has been done, Just keeping the gift card behind the cash with cashiers could reduce the amount of gift card fraud by 99.9% because that would prevent the scammers from accessing the gift cards.

i have a feeling that the scammers target SDM during the gift card bonus points event because they know people will be stocking up on gift cards and may not use them for months.
    Silk, Insane, seylz_gurl and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Sorry this happened to you. Everyone's given good advice. I've learned a lot just reading the thread.

Good luck getting this sorted out.
    seylz_gurl and CouponLover618 like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I always spend mine ASAP.
    It would also help to buy SDM GC, that way its there fault.
    But it probably won't help to much.
    CouponLover618 likes this.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

If you have the Esso gift cards without a PIN, might be worth going to an Esso station and transfer the balance to a new card.

Now I'm worried - 3 of the Shoppers gift cards don't have pins. I checked the Petro Canada and 1 of my Shoppers but didn't look at all the shoppers.

Off to check. Oh, and shoppers - clearly says "will not be replenished".
    Last edited by Giving-Small; Tue, Nov 19th, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    WHAT?!? That's horrible. Where did you buy your cards at? I would cry if someone stole my balances considering I bought $900 worth of GC all for the same retail outlet. I just checked the balances and so far they are safe. It's kinda hard to spend $900 in gas over a week or two.
    I'm in Ontario. And yeah, you're right - hard to spend that much in gas unless you're going on a very long road trip!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm pretty sure that Esso will reimburse me after I spoke with the manager. Now it's just a matter of how long before it's resolved. And it's just such a hassle. Not sure I will participate in this promo next year

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CouponLover618 View Post
    So I purchased a bunch of gift cards from SDM a week ago to take advantage of the 8,000 bonus points offer; went to use one of the $100 Esso cards and there was only $9 left on the card!!!!!!!!! I know I didn't use it before and when I did a history on the card, it says the card was used last Thursday.

Has anyone had balances stolen from their cards before and if so, who did you call and was the issue resolved? So far, I called SDM and they said they couldn't do anything and that I would need to call Esso whcih opens up at 9am.

It happen to meyou have to call Esso and they do an investigation and when they call you back with in 72 hours they are going to mail you a Esso card with enough. Points to purchase another card
    torontogal12 and Karlina like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I got the Shoppers card with Lipstick and just checked... it doesnt have any pin at the back. Maybe its time to check the balance... how can I do that? anywhere that I can check the GC balance??

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

That's a low down dirty shame on those people but I heard of this many years ago and actually I had purchased a GC from SDM for DH for Christmas one year for Burger King and the balance was less than the actual amount. A SDM employee mentioned to me before that's why they changed the redeeming SDM points for GC like they used to!
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by online View Post
    I got the Shoppers card with Lipstick and just checked... it doesnt have any pin at the back. Maybe its time to check the balance... how can I do that? anywhere that I can check the GC balance??
    For balance inquiries , call 1 800 974 5399
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.... what more can I say........

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Shoppers gift card is likely safe on second thought. Nowhere that I know of that you can purchase stuff online or transfer to another card (I hope).
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Really? Phew!! All others I got were Petro canada. Hopefully this will be my first and last participation in GC promo.

Quote Originally Posted by Giving-Small View Post
    Shoppers gift card is likely safe on second thought. Nowhere that I know of that you can purchase stuff online or transfer to another card (I hope).

wit
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It happened to me too. I got denied at the ESSO gas station today and I checked the balance online and it was redeemed two days after purchase. I got to call them after work. I also bought several ESSO cards because of shopper's promotion.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi the same thing happened to me, just wondering if you are from Barrie and if so did you purchase them from the SDM on Bayfield. I have contacted Esso and my card was spent 2 days later in North York
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information