User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By crissybb03
  • 3 Post By Candini
  • 1 Post By wimbly11

Thread: Any Vegetarians out there?

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I'm thinking of making the switch to becoming a vegetarian. Anyone here a vegetarian with some tips?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It depends what you have in mind. You can start just by going meatless one night a week.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been a vegetarian for about 10 years now and some tips I have are make sure you take vitamins like B vitamins, Multi's, Flax seed...etc. Stuff to help replace what you are no longer getting from meat. Eat lots of nuts, beans......etc for protein. If you're not a big cook (like me) veggie meat alternatives work. I use a lot of Yves Veggie Ground Round in place of ground beef. Works great in spaghetti, lasagna etc. There's fake meat everything now. From what I remember, some taste pretty accurate...and some, nothing like the meat it's representing but it still tastes okay. If you find it difficult to cut off meat completely, just cut it back to a couple times a week or whatever works for you. Sorry these aren't the best tips but I hope they helped a bit.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

You could try becoming pescetarian (only eating fish, fruits, veggies, no other animal ) first if you don`t want to completely cut out animal flesh. Make sure you take vitamins regularly. Get a blood test from your doc to see what vitamins you're missing out on.

A lot of people I hear from become vegetarian and end up getting really sick because they aren`t doing it properly.
    anisa, Natalka and blueeyetea like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I have never been a big meat eater, so cutting meat out isn't too difficult. I just want to make sure that I balance my meals so I am getting everything I need for my body. Doing some research and looking for some fun new recipes to go with this new lifestyle I have been enjoying the meat alternatives
    anisa likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I've been meat free for two months now and feelings just great. Wondering if there's any interest on here on swapping veggie recipes for some new ideas
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Since beans can play a big part in a vegetarian diet, I suggest you get yourself a pressure cooker along with the book "Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure" by Lorna Sass. All the recipes in that book are vegan, and a lot of them made with beans. With a pressure cooker, you can get away from soaking beans overnight, so if you're stuck, you can have a meal ready in thirty minutes. Canned beans will do if you're stuck, but home-cooked beans taste so much better.

Even though not a vegetarian, I really like a bean salad: white beans, green onions, celery, marinated in a French vingaigrette. If I have it, I'll add half an avocado.

Another favourite is brown rice-lentil salad: leftover brown rice, a can of lentils (drained and rinsed), green onions, raisins, sunflower seeds, and my version of lime-cumin vinaigrette.

Both these recipes can be prepared ahead, the longer, the better.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks for the tip The recipe for brown rice-lentil salad sounds amazing! Definitely going to try that one!!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank God am not vegetarian... Me eat everything what else is cooked happy happy.

Thread Information