Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By momof5boys
  • 2 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By rock_climberjoe

Thread: Creaky wall

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Just curious if anyone on this forum lives in a home with a creaky wall on the main floor when water drains through from the upstairs. We don't have leaks but probably just a drainpipe sitting too close to some wood.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    jaydenmoorie likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Not creaky, but it knocks where it has no business knocking. It's in our en suite bathroom at the top corner of the room. Why would there be plumbing running in the top corner of the room on the top floor of the house? I'll never know.
    Natalka and Natalka like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Just curious if anyone on this forum lives in a home with a creaky wall on the main floor when water drains through from the upstairs. We don't have leaks but probably just a drainpipe sitting too close to some wood.
    I just realized that the creaking or knocking noise doesn't happen while the water is draining but starts about five minutes after the shower is turned off. It knocks every four seconds for about five minutes...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Not creaky, but it knocks where it has no business knocking. It's in our en suite bathroom at the top corner of the room. Why would there be plumbing running in the top corner of the room on the top floor of the house? I'll never know.
    probably coming from the vent stack which exits out your roof.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    I just realized that the creaking or knocking noise doesn't happen while the water is draining but starts about five minutes after the shower is turned off. It knocks every four seconds for about five minutes...
    after a hot shower the drain pipe expands slightly from the hot water. the creaking noise you hear after the shower is the pipe cooling and rubbing on the wood framing.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rock_climberjoe View Post
    after a hot shower the drain pipe expands slightly from the hot water. the creaking noise you hear after the shower is the pipe cooling and rubbing on the wood framing.
    Because this is a new home, they are asking us to wait a few months and then they'll probably open up the wall to fix the noise. Hopefully this is able to get fixed once for all. I'm also noticed some creaking when someone is running the shower upstairs as well.

I must say the builders have been fabulous - so no complaints there....they are definitely aiming to please - very well known builders in this area....I think the plumber must have goofed up somehow.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is this creaking consistent, or only during certain times of the day, or during certain seasons?

Thread Information