User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Will you retire at 65 or will you keep working - til 100 : 0. This lady did it...

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The Toronto Star had an article about a retired CEO who volunteered 18 months for Children's Aid Foundation to ensure there were funds for the children who needed it. His outlook was that there are retirees with skillsets that can help organizations think like a corporation.
    http://www.thestar.com/business/pers...y_roseman.html

Some corporations do provide retirement planning or information sessions to workers set to retire in their last year-one parent still gets invited to investment firm sessions despite being retired for years. But unless those workers actively planned for savings beyond the RRSP or pension contributions, those work sponsored sessions might actually not register with people until they find out their monthly amounts don't go far enough to cover living expenses, let alone vacation/travel plans.
    SnowFlakey and Shwa Girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've been doing volunteer work when I've been healthy since we retired, which is, if course, quite different from working, but also quite rewarding to use skills I was once paid for, to help others.
    My hubby retired with a full pension at age 54 and has kept happily busy since then.
    But actually going back to work? {{{{ shudder}}}}....

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    In the US Dave Ramsey has a financial planning education program for schools.http://www.daveramsey.com/school/home/

Nice that your DD is doing the Freedom 55 retirement deal. Like the old London Life commerici als.
    I love this concept & will work on a program written for Canadian Students!!
    Lynn49, SnowFlakey and Shwa Girl like this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lucy16076 View Post
    I love this concept & will work on a program written for Canadian Students!!
    I think he would be happy to help. I think he may give you a copy of his program for free -- doesn't hurt to ask.
    Lynn49, SnowFlakey and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

And now, a 98 year old barber who won't retire. He says he's seen customers retire and then 4 or 5 years later, they are gone. He decided, he wasn't goin' out that way, and keeps working.
    Video:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/on-the...-cutting-edge/
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think there is a huge difference between wanting to retire and not being able too and those who do not want to retire.

My Opa (grandfather) is well into his 70s and still works insane hours, even after he had serious surgery last year it barely slowed him down. The only things that slows him down is Oma (grandmother) who is no longer in good health. But still he now over sees the staffs that takes care of her, takes care of the house and works insane hours. He usually comes into work between 9 and 10 am but will work hours after everyone else goes home usually not getting home till 7 or 8 pm. He also works most weekends and even though he is in 70s there is nothing he will not do he still climbs ladders installs product there is nothing that can keep this man down. So for him retirement is not option instead of retiring what he did was pass off parts of the business he does not want to do anymore and now focuses on machinery and new product development, to him his is retirement, no longer dealing with the day to day business and just focusing on his passions within the business.

I personally hope to retire at some point but only time will tell I am only 30 so we will have to see what comes.
    SnowFlakey and Shwa Girl like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

SassyAshley, your Opa is amazing. What kind of work does he do?
    SassyAshley likes this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I've been a stay at home mom since our oldest starting crawling and it wasn't possible to take him with me to work any longer. I have not regretted this in the least. I took care of all the budgeting, cooked all meals from scratch pretty near, had a good sized garden, canned and froze veggies/fruit and the myriad of other things a stay at home mom does. It gave me extra time to reach out to others in need and I will always be grateful for this. My hubby is not a spender and we both adhere to a very strict budget and he is now able to retire if he wants but chooses to work for a few more years.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Thank you, he makes and designs aluminum exterior building products, his current baby is a roofing shingle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    SassyAshley, your Opa is amazing. What kind of work does he do?
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

no such thing as freedom 55 these days

people are living longer and healthier lives

55 is the 30

it's more like freedom 85
    SnowFlakey likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

@frugal50, you are so right about this.
    frugal50 likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    I've been a stay at home mom since our oldest starting crawling and it wasn't possible to take him with me to work any longer. I have not regretted this in the least. I took care of all the budgeting, cooked all meals from scratch pretty near, had a good sized garden, canned and froze veggies/fruit and the myriad of other things a stay at home mom does. It gave me extra time to reach out to others in need and I will always be grateful for this. My hubby is not a spender and we both adhere to a very strict budget and he is now able to retire if he wants but chooses to work for a few more years.
    Awesome.
    You just proved it can be done.
    Some say 2 incomes are needed. I guess it depends on how much income, where you live, how you live, what you spend on and if there are extra needs (e.g. health care costs for disabled family member).
    blueeyetea likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Well...my hubby retired at 55, 14 years ago and still keeps busy, golfs every day in the summer...it still happens, but sadly, not to enough workers these days....
    Shwa Girl likes this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Hubby retired this year in february with a full company pension and his Regie des rentes de Québec (quebec govt pension). He will be receiving the OAS in June. I also have a Québec Govt pension which im collecting and will receive the OAS next year. We definitely arent living in the style we`ve become accustomed to but then we dont have any of the previous expenses either (mortgage, credit cards (all paid off), etc). Retirement creeps up on you and you wont even realize it. It is extremely hard to save for retirement when you have a mtg, children, credit cards, college and University expenses for the kids, etc. But the belief that you will be looked after with a govt pension is unrealistic also. We were Lucky because hubby worked for a major multi-national company and now had a great pension from that company, otherwise i think we would be up a creek without a paddle.
    walkonby and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    You sound like me when our kiddlings were young, although I did work part-time...like ShwaGirl said, it all depends on expectations, wants vs needs...Our DD is quite the opposite, working 50hrs most weeks, hubby full-time also, but they have all the toys to prove it! I sincerely wish she'd make it easier on herself...but she's working towards that, and has sort-of "retired", by having another gal hired to help with the load; it'll mean she'll reach her goal in perhaps 5 years instead of 2-3, when she can 'retire' in her job.
    Good for you, for doing it all your (and your hubby's) way....!!
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information