I have already posted this in the Tea Room but I wanted to post here as well in case any of you, or family members or friends have cabins at Pigeon Lake.

I know that everyone on here are proud Canadians and that is why I'm coming here to ask for help. Currently, there are no bylaws against dumping harmful fertilizers that contain phosphates into lakes. These horrible chemicals are causing Blue-Green Algae levels to sky rocket. Blue-Green Algae is known to be smelly, ugly and more importantly, carcinogenic. It is depleting the oxygen levels in the lakes, not only makes it difficult for fish to live, but it also raises the temperature so much that they actually die. Last year in Pigeon Lake, AB alone over 200,000 lb's of Whitefish washed up on shore who had died from the decreasing quality of the lake. This also makes it impossible for people to swim, boat or generally have a good time.

The reason it is becoming more of an issue not only in Alberta, but all over Canada is the use of these fertilizers both cosmetically (landscaping) and commercially (farms) and the removal of the natural filtration systems (trees and wetlands). Finally, at Pigeon Lake the authorities are inviting us to have our say about fertilizers and their use and management. We are hoping to have this bylaw passed and that other municipalities across Canada will follow suit.

The deadline to complete a survey is 10:00 pm Saturday, January 18. I know this is late notice but every survey helps to protect our natural lakes, rivers & wetlands. Thank you for taking the time to read this and ask, if you have an extra 10 min please fill it out

Here is the link,

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NQC8Q7G