User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Minimum wage to increase to $11 in Ontario

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Just watched a news release stating June 1st minimum wage will increase from $10.25 to $11.00 in Ontario.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Certainly needed. It's hard to make enough to survive for waaaaay too many people.
    lucy16076 and blueeyetea like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Just wish the minimum wage applied to all jobs for adults in Ontario that are not provincially governed by separate professional acts or statutes or excluded from that wage level because of the nature of some work. As it is, there are hospitality service jobs that have lower minimum wages because the assumption is that bar/food servers make tip money.

Home workers will see a rise as a result because their hourly wage will be 110% of minimum wage unless they have more generous employers.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I hope the existing employees who are at or slightly higher than 11.00 also get .75 extra on their pay.

Lot of times these guys have started at 10.25 & after slogging for 2-3 years in a munimum wage job and after getting a paltry raise each year they are at 11.00 bucks and hour ..guess what now a new guy who comes in is also at the same same 11 bucks as them ..not fair I guess ..maybe the older ones should then be at 11.75

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Needed but they should look at raising the minimum tax threshold - currently at about $11000 or help lower the other deductions that come off of minimum wage workers paycheques. Most will never be able to collect EI etc.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I hope this ends up happening in BC too. Everything is just so, so expensive. Honestly, I've actually been debating moving to Alberta when I get out on my own because it's just far too expensive to do much of anything around here. Apartments ("condos", but I see no difference) sell for $350,000 for a 2 bedroom!

It really needs to be bumped up everywhere and I absolutely agree about the people working above minimum getting a bump up.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First of all, let me say that I agree completely with raising the minimum wage. Having said that, I always think that without decent money management skills, any increase, whether one is making minimum wage or a salary that is over the top, the increase will simply fly out the window. I see examples of it in my own family where the one who makes the most is the one in the most financial trouble.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Just watched a news release stating June 1st minimum wage will increase from $10.25 to $11.00 in Ontario.
    It is about time.! Iwork for min wage!
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    I hope this ends up happening in BC too. Everything is just so, so expensive. Honestly, I've actually been debating moving to Alberta when I get out on my own because it's just far too expensive to do much of anything around here. Apartments ("condos", but I see no difference) sell for $350,000 for a 2 bedroom!

It really needs to be bumped up everywhere and I absolutely agree about the people working above minimum getting a bump up.
    Vancouver is the worst..that too due to overseas chinese investors and speculators mostly from Hong kong.

These people don't even live there. But are increasing the real estate prices like crazy !..the gov needs to stop this real estate bubble before it burns lot of innocent Canadians..due to overseas greedy investors, who don't really care abt Canada .
    Shwa Girl and lucy16076 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

The increase of minimum wage to $11 will make Ontario tied for highest level of minimum wage (with Nunavut).

While I am sure that those who currently earn minimum wage will appreciate the increase, there is always a flip side to minimum wage increases, one that can have a negative impact on minimum wage earners. Some employers will struggle with the wage increase. In some cases, there will be a loss of hours for the part-time employees. The employers may also not be in a position to hire as many staff because they aren't able to pay for that many hours. This can make it difficult for those looking for that type of job to get hired. The timing of this particular increase, June 1st, could make it difficult for students, especially those trying to get their first job this summer, to succeed in getting a job.

I lived through the period in the early to mid 2000s, when minimum wage went from $8/hr to the current $10.25, not as a minimum wage earner, but as someone in a supervisory role. The place that I worked at the time, which is in the tourism industry, certainly saw a decrease in the number of hours we were able to offer to part-time staff, and a decrease in the number of positions we were able to offer full-time to students in the summers. This hurt the students, and all of the full-time staff too, as we all struggled to deliver the same quality product with reduced resources. While the increase in minimum wage was not the only factor in this as this was a difficult period in the tourism industry, it certainly contributed. I know that my organization was not unique.
    Natalka and theo44 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Starts today
    The minimum wage in Ontario rose to $11 an hour on Sunday — a hike of 75 cents.
    Other wage increases now in effect include a 70-cent hike in the student minimum wage to $10.30 an hour and 65 cents for liquor servers, who are now entitled to $9.55.
    ticul and Candini like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (97%)

A lot of the people who work for minimum wage are students. The post secondary ones living on their own are racking up high debts and they cod us the extra money too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    While I am sure that those who currently earn minimum wage will appreciate the increase, there is always a flip side to minimum wage increases, one that can have a negative impact on minimum wage earners. Some employers will struggle with the wage increase. In some cases, there will be a loss of hours for the part-time employees. The employers may also not be in a position to hire as many staff because they aren't able to pay for that many hours. This can make it difficult for those looking for that type of job to get hired.
    I've noticed more retailers and fast food outlets installing self-serve checkouts and order kiosks.....
    Ciel and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The local McDonald's got renovated so now there's a self-serve pop dispenser. The timing just is interesting but then the parking lot got overhauled as well.

Sobey's Extra has 4 self-checkout tills in the Ancaster store. During the day about three tills (customer service and two others) are open.
    Target-at night, one cash is open but the night customer action is split about 2/3s at self-checkout and 1/3 at the lone staffed till.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Jun 29th, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
    lucy16076 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

McDonalds where I live has had self serve fountain drinks for a couple of years now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information