• 2 Post By lecale
  • 2 Post By 1cheapb*tch
  • 4 Post By debba1c
  • 1 Post By itsmewhoelse

Thread: Tips for a Novice Gardener?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I've decided to try and grow some veggies this year but I have never grown anything in my life.

I have a very small yard that faces south and gets lots of sun, and I will be doing all my gardening in raised beds and containers. I've made a list of the veggies I like but I suspect that I'm better off trying my hand at a few before going crazy with the planting, especially since I'm really new at this.

I'm overwhelmed by all the varieties in seed catalogs. How the heck am I supposed to know which tomatoes or green beans or zucchinis to grow? It just feels like too much information. When I want green peppers or zucchinis I just go to the grocery store and buy them. Never even knew they were different types.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Deb
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    BC Gal likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:43 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

As you are using raised beds and containers, I would suggest using the square foot gardening method. Sounds confusing when you read the instructions, but I found a youtube video that shows you how easy it is.
    I also found a great online vegetable garden planner (free 30 day trial, then 25 yearly membership fee) I used my email and then my hubbies for the first couple years but then I was missing out on some of the great features of the planner such as automatic crop rotation! so I finally bought the yearly membership. Did I mention its great!
    I actually made a post about this very subject last year around this time heres the link with all the above info and links in it too.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/339220-...dening-canada/
    Start with growing veggies you like, happy gardening.
    anisa, lecale and Anna Michele like this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

http://containergardening.wordpress.com/
    they also have a facebook page
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When you plant carrot seeds, plant radish seeds on top. Radishes start quickly and after harvest, you''ll likely see carrot tops emerging. Follow the spacing instructions on both packets! Last year a friend put carrot seeds every which way and most carrots failed to thrive enough because they were crowded with several others. She had not read the planting instructions on the packet.

You can seed lettuce seeds straight into container pots by Victoria Day weekend.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

We use a gutter garden for much of our lettuce, leaving the raised beds free for larger vegetables. We only use one long length of gutter, placed underneath a large window on the south side of the house. The set-up for a layered gutter garden works well, though, and the one in this video looks simple to make.

mjaas, lecale, spanishpoet and 2 others like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

^ very cool idea!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I would recommend that as a new gardener you will probably be better off buying tomato & pepper plants instead of seeds as they need to be started early and do best under lights (in my opinion). Lettuce, radish and beans are all easy to grow from seeds. Green onions (multiplier bulbs) are easy and can be planted in between other plants. Most seed packs will tell when they should be planted and how deep and how close, you can usually plant closer if you have good soil. Welcome to gardening and good luck with your new venture.
    Anna Michele and Shirnette like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Based on the recommendations from you all, I will be using the square foot method, and I will purchase tomato and pepper plants in the spring instead of growing from seed. I decided to grow lettuce indoors and my little seeds that I planted on Saturday have already started sprouting! Yay!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

If you try any squash or melons they take up a lot of space and can get powdery mildew, something you might not want to deal with when first starting out.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have some tips for you. Tomatoes need 10 hours of light is summers and required a bright airy spot. When buying a tomato seeding always beware of poor root system of lush green starts.

Thread Information