User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: People who don't honor their debts

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I had an item on Craigslist I was trying to sell but no luck. I wanted $40 but then since I had no messages and a coworker wanted it, I said she could have it for $30. This was almost a month ago and I said it was okay if she didn't have money right away.

Fast forward a month and still no money. Yet she comes to work with coffee from Timmy's every morning and buys lunch almost everyday. WTF?? I understand if she didn't have the money right away but she's buying lunch with money she supposedly doesn't have. I just want my damn money soon!!!!

Oh and here's the kicker: a week after I sold it to her I got a message on CL from someone who would pay $40. I could have gotten more money and right away
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by superhamster; Thu, Feb 20th, 2014 at 12:04 AM.
    niro_anan, ticul, momi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I would casually mention it to her nicely a couple of days before your next payday so she can get the money for you. Probably wouldn't hurt to mention that you could use the money since you were selling it for that reason.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It can be awkward but mostly likely an honest mistake. Since a month has gone by, she may have forgotten completely about it.
    Like Macw1960 says, just reminder her. She'll probably be quite embarassed.

Next time, best to give a time limit...i.e. until next payday. Even better, ask for a post-dated cheque.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

I would be reminding her because people like that in my experience do it on purpose, hoping you'll forget.
    One time a group of our friends went camping and I paid it all up front, so they could pay me back when we actually went camping.
    For 3 days I waited for one of my friends to pay me, finally as we're about to leave I said to him, '' So do you have the money for your part of the reservation?''
    he goes, ''yea I only have a $20 bill tho''
    so I go, ''that's fine I have change''
    He seemed po'd that I made him pay.
    Some people are cheap, plain and simple.

For this very reason I hate lending money to people, hate buying other people things, hate bugging people to pay me back, it's an endless cycle.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

She's clearly not a Lannister.

I agree with macw1960, bring it up nicely and remind her that she still owes you the money. She may have actually forgotten but it's also possible that she was hoping that you'd forget. Either way, be as nice about it as you can be. My parents always said to me that never lend money to someone that you can't afford to lose. I know you didn't lend her the money but it's the same idea. If you ever do this again, make sure you set a date (like next week), as crater suggested, and stick to it. Hope you get your money!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Keep reminding her until she gives you back the money.

I wonder if there's a rule somewhere saying if you borrowing an amount under $5 then you don't expect to pay back. Whenever I loaned someone money $2, $5 they never give it back to me. Say a coworker come up to me and asked to borrow $2 for coffee but the next few days they just act like nothing happened. And if I dare to remind them about that they act like I was the cheap one. Like you're cheap for asking to be paid back the money they BORROWED from you. I have no problem buying someone a coffee, muffin, cookie or whatever but when someone borrow something from me I expect them to remember and pay me back promptly. Is it a workplace culture thing??
    Last edited by Decaf; Thu, Feb 20th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
    DaveP, DianneS, trishka and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post

I wonder if there's a rule somewhere saying if you borrowing an amount under $5 then you don't expect to pay back. Whenever I loaned someone money $2, $5 they never give it back to me. Say a coworker come up to me and asked to borrow $2 for coffee but the next few days they just act like nothing happened. And if I dare to remind them about that they act like I was the cheap one. Like you're cheap for asking to be paid back the money they BORROWED from you. I have no problem buying someone a coffee, muffin, cookie or whatever but when someone borrow something from me I expect them to remember and pay me back promptly. Is it a workplace culture thing??
    Where I used to work it was usually if someone needed $2 for a coffee, they'd always offer to buy me one the next day. That's just really cheap if they can't do that.
    Insane, Decaf, sam786 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

There is a woman that works with dh and she is constantly asking him and other people to borrow money. Dh always says no so you would think she would stop asking him already. She's always broke and is supporting a husband who can't work (so shouldn't he be getting disability?). Anyway while I feel bad for her she makes about the same as dh. Dh pay check supports 4 people and I coupon, sign up for freebies, enter contests to get by and take care of 2 kids under 5 24/7. (Ds1 starts school later this year.) anyway money is tight for us but we get by and have a few extra without trying to mooch money off people.)

sorry rely to rant in your rant. I can't stand moochers/thieves.
    lecale, Decaf, wolfwoman and 1 others like this.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Not only they don't pay you back , when you ask for YOUR money they act as if YOU are the one being cheap by asking for YOUR money

They act as if they are the good guy in this whole thing and YOU are the one who is being petty & cheap & don't have any etiquette for reminding them to pay you back !

That's the worst part than getting the actual money back ! Even when you do get the money back , things are NEVER the same as before between the two of you .

NEITHER A LENDER OR BORROWER BE
    Decaf, wolfwoman and toronto166 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yeah .. I never get people who don't have money for groceries etc , but always have money for fast food , coffee , expensive brand name clothes/shoes , cable , fancy phones, expensive cars , video games , expensive restaurants, take outs etc.

A friend of mine his cell bill is $ 100 per month with fancy data plans & add ons etc ..he can't really afford it ..but doesn't want to go for a NO frills phone or plan
    toban, Decaf, wolfwoman and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This is why I usually prefer to deal with people I do not know.

I have a serious pet peeve when it comes to people like that. I know people who are constantly complaining the have no money for various things (diapers, groceries) but funny they always have money for smokes or to order in lunch. Sometime priorities are just in the wrong place or in some cases I find people feel entitled. I know of people who work with me but look at me as a single female and feel that I have extra/disposable income because I am single but it is like um hello I have one income to support me you have two incomes in your household, it is not my fault you live beyond your means.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Funny how it always looks petty asking for your money back that you lent to someone else in the first place. DH's parents are always asking for money and it is always for smokes, coffee....basically crap. And they never pay it back. Jacka$$es
    toban and toronto166 like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    Funny how it always looks petty asking for your money back that you lent to someone else in the first place. DH's parents are always asking for money and it is always for smokes, coffee....basically crap. And they never pay it back. Jacka$$es
    Maybe give them a cheap jar of instant coffee and a pack of Nicorette when they ask for money.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    Where I used to work it was usually if someone needed $2 for a coffee, they'd always offer to buy me one the next day. That's just really cheap if they can't do that.
    It's totally like that where I work. Sometimes I buy the coffee, sometimes someone else does. I figure it all comes out even in the end. And if it doesn't I'm not sweating a few bucks. Because everyone's intention is to pay the next time for me. No one purposely skips out. We all take turns.
    toronto166 likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post

I also hate people , who ask you for bus tickets or subway tokens or something like that.

They think its a small amount..lot of times its around 3 bucks or so..and bcoz its a ticket they don't think they have to give it back.

They will cooly stand at the subway or bus with you and ask you ..hey you got an extra tkt for me ! Yeah I do but its for me & not for you !..as its tickets for the rest of the week & future rides which I have planned in advance !

Really !!! You take public transit & you just leave your house without bus tickets & tokens etc and expect someone else to give you one !

Can't you plan ahead & buy 10-15 of them for the entire week , like others ! Do you also leave your house in your car without any gas in it & expect people to pay you gas mony !
    toronto166 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information