User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thelivewire
  • 1 Post By saphira

Thread: How to make Fructose-free Chocolate! (with Pic!)

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Further to my post about watching the Fifth Estate about the dangers of Sugar (specifically Fructose) I'm trying to eliminate added sugar as much as possible. There are several "Fructose free" sites out now and one was talking about Fructose free chocolate, there are companies that make it for sale and its really expensive ordered through the internet. One person had posted a recipe to make Fructose Free chocolate so I thought I would experiment with her version. It includes Coconut Oil which is something that is great to incorporate in your diet as well, it has MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides) and depending where you look there is a ton of reasons people say to include it sooooooooooo here goes:

(Coconut Oil melts at a fairly low temp so I used a low simmer)
    Melt 3/4 cup of Coconut Oil (I think Virgin Cold Pressed is the best - Costco sells a big bucket for a good price right now)
    Add 3/4 cup of Dextrose (Bulk store - fairly cheap - less sweet than fructose you may have to adjust for taste)
    (Melt Dextrose into coconut oil before adding Cocoa)
    Add 3/4 cup Pure Cocoa (I used Fry's)
    simmer slowly until smooth I think it was barely a rolling boil at that point, remove from heat
    Add 1 tsp Pure Vanilla
    I added about a half cup of unsweetened coconut and a half cup of chopped walnuts (whatever your preference)

Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil and pour chocolate into foil and let cool until solid, I broke it up like chocolate bark after.

It melts in your mouth because of the coconut oil, and kind of tastes like a macaroon? It tastes about as sweet as the dark chocolate bars (the 70% - 80% etc) that you can buy.
    (adding unsweetened coconut does add naturally occurring fructose that is in the coconut flesh but fructose in any fruit is combined with fibre and metabolized differently than fructose alone just fyi!)

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Virgin Mobile
    Last edited by Kat*in*Can; Sun, Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Add Pic

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds good, I will try this!
    Kat*in*Can likes this.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Sampled a few this morning - absolutely delicious!! I will be making these at home for sure.
    Kat*in*Can likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

As a person struggling with Diabetes and weight loss, the topic of sugars, carbs, glycemic index etc are very important to my daily living and lifestyle.

from my understanding dextrose on it's own is also pretty bad for your metabolism. It will cause a sharp rise and hard crash in your blood sugar levels.

this is an article that explains it fairly simply.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...rose-diabetes/

at the end of it all, moderation is key. but who am i to talk, because after my healthy, balanced brekkie this morning I had a small handfull of Twizzler Goodies

The whole sugar issue is a complex one. even sugar substitutes that are labelled as healthy and natural are totally bad for our bodies.

oh, how I would love to try a big hunk of that chocolate tho, yummers!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Thread Information