User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: anyone know about tax returns?

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

A rant and a question!

I filed mine and DHs tax returns last week. His refund was deposited today (sunday!)

When I went to check on my status, I just get that it has been "assessed" but no deposit date for my refund.

If I've been assessed, then should I expect my refund soon? I actually filed my return first so wtf is going on? With the horrendous year 2014 has been for me already I'm literally sick to my stomach right now.

Any advice?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, macw1960, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

You could always call up h&r block and ask them. I know you did your taxes yourself but they may still be able to give you answers/advice.
    ROMEO and macw1960 like this.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OgresWife View Post

Any advice?
    From the Canada Revenue Agency website
    When can I expect my refund?

We usually process paper returns in four to six weeks. However, we start to process returns in mid-February, so do not call before mid-March, even if you filed your return in January. If you filed your return on or before April 15, wait four weeks before you call. If you filed your return after April 15, wait six weeks before you call.
    We can process returns filed electronically (EFILE and NETFILE) in as little as eight business days, but wait at least four weeks before you call.
    To find out about your 2013 refund, go to How can I verify the status of my refund?.
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Yea, I found all that, but it didn't give me any answers. i guess I just have to keep checking my bank account/online status until they get updated or my paper copy shows up.

Ugh, could really have used that $96 before payday this week

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post

ROMEO, macw1960 and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wait. There's not much else you can do when it comes to your tax return. I bet if you had been owing, they would have been all over you about it.
    ROMEO, harbie, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by francine1985 View Post
    You could always call up h&r block and ask them. I know you did your taxes yourself but they may still be able to give you answers/advice.
    I use to work at H&R Block as a tax associate, the manager hated it so much that people kept calling us for tax advice when filing their own returns.(I mean hrblock is just a business, so answering thousands of questions instead of working during tax season does cost them a lot of man hours) But anyways, if the tax returned has been assessed it should be deposited soon. To be honest, I don't know of many banks that would deposit a bank transfer used by CRA on a sunday. If the transfer was sent friday-sunday, it usually wouldn't show in the account until monday morning / noonish.

I'm actually curious now which bank processes electronic transfers on a sunday, is it TD, Scotia? Pretty sure bmo/rbc don't.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dealfinder07 View Post
    I'm actually curious now which bank processes electronic transfers on a sunday, is it TD, Scotia? Pretty sure bmo/rbc don't.
    Back before I switched to a credit union if child tax fell on a Monday it was in my account in the wee hours of Saturday morning. I had a TD account and same for a friends who had Scotia and Royal bank.
    ROMEO, macw1960 and Shwa Girl like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dealfinder07 View Post
    I am guessing it is TD, since some of their branches are open on Sunday, and central processing of other functions would be needed to support the branches

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post

I filed our taxes last week, checked the status this morning and refund was deposited this morning.
    scbpooh, ROMEO and Shwa Girl like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Actually hes with BMO and his refund came in yesterday. His pay will also go into is account around 11pm the night before payday it just won't be "released" until midnight.

I did get a refund this morning....of $3. Not the $96 I had come up when I filed. so now I sit and wait for the paper copy to arrive.

I did have to pay in last year, but I paid that and got the statement back saying I was clear. I know I should count myself happy because I did get a refund and not have to pay in, but how the heck can I make less than $20 000 and only get a $3 refund??
    ROMEO and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

It is a good thing if you are only getting $3 back. That means you paid an accurate amount of tax all year long for your income level. Now go and pat your payroll manager on the back.
    Natalka, ROMEO, Zonny and 2 others like this.
    Jonesy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Actually hes with BMO and his refund came in yesterday. His pay will also go into is account around 11pm the night before payday it just won't be "released" until midnight.

I did get a refund this morning....of $3. Not the $96 I had come up when I filed. so now I sit and wait for the paper copy to arrive.

I did have to pay in last year, but I paid that and got the statement back saying I was clear. I know I should count myself happy because I did get a refund and not have to pay in, but how the heck can I make less than $20 000 and only get a $3 refund??
    How much you make doesn't really have much of anything to do with whether you'll get a refund or not. It's how much tax you paid vs. how much you owed. I make a lot more than you do, but generally get a fairly big refund. I haven't been able to file this year's yet though, since i don't have all my tax documents.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

A rant and a question!

I filed mine and DHs tax returns last week. His refund was deposited today (sunday!)

When I went to check on my status, I just get that it has been "assessed" but no deposit date for my refund.

If I've been assessed, then should I expect my refund soon? I actually filed my return first so wtf is going on? With the horrendous year 2014 has been for me already I'm literally sick to my stomach right now.

Any advice?
    Last year my refund was deposited 5-6 days after it was assessed , so don't worry ..and the exact same amount was deposited as I had calculated.

Very soon your status will show that , your refund will be deposited on so & so date ..if you check ONLINE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

How much tax did you pay ? What does your T4 slip show for tax deducted ?

They see your net family income ..so depending upon your DH's tax situation ..you might or might not get a bigger refund.

Plus maybe your payroll cut the proper taxes to begin with hence a much smaller refund

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Thats pretty much what I figured once I stopped to think about it. I don't think enough taxes came off me last year (less than $1700 and I made just under $19000)

Sigh, I guess I should have dropped the money and gone into a place and claimed my eyecare bills. I only did the online free version so save a bit of $$. I appreciate that I did get a refund and don't owe, its just the first time I had seen one total and been given another and I've been filing for over ten years (4 of them by myself)

Chalk this one up to annoyance and learning curve I guess.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information