User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The unfair wheelchair world!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    it's frustrating that everything specialty costs insanely more, from plus sizes, to wider shoes, it's frustrating when you don't fit into the status quo

i do get why they are more expensive though (they can't mass produce them for sale like a generic product because there just is not the market for it) have you compared the price to buying this vrs buying a nice new van and having it converted to this style?

It it is the styling of the seating and the new ramp style too. It doesn't need to be electric, it can be pulled manually, and it has two lengths built in (short ramp for smaller spots, longer ramp for easier entrance and exit). I know that sounds trivial, but I have had to run an electric heater overnight in our van to keep the hydraulics on our lift working. Even with that, because of the yucky winter weather it has burst lines twice ($200. Per repair).
    I have checked with a conversion service, and they suggest it is cheaper to buy it from MV1. They are now becoming the standard accessible taxi, too. A Toronto newspaper had an article about them.

i ranted because there is really no help (government or otherwise) for anyone between 18 to 65, if you have a work income. And I was just having a really bad day.
    So, back to saving, and as my husband says to himself, stop whining, we can learn to do without.

thanks for everyone kind words.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Just a thought. Call up your local community paper & advise them of your situation. Then go to local Car Dealerships that can order the van for you and tell them of your situation. It's not as if you're getting the van for free - you just need the extra funds for the specially-fitted van. The dealership receives free advertising and a story in your local newpaper including pictures of you, your husband & the dealership if the dealership presents you with a check for the difference, or the dealership just pays for the difference.

Either way, get your picture & story in as many newspapers as you can. It's not as if you're asking for a completely free van. Perhaps beforehand, place an on-line kijiji garage sale, so the newspaper can illustrate that you're actively raising funds, not just waiting for a handout.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by miamitall; Sat, Mar 8th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's lousy. Have you contacted the media for help? They may be able to advocate on your behalf or help with a fundraiser.
    Last edited by Durham Couponer; Sat, Mar 8th, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

It's not whining.. sometimes you have to express your frustration so you can release the pressure a bit and move on. Life is definitely more challenging when you have health issues and compounded when there are so many expenses. Sometimes we need to take a little time out, to lean, to vent and then begin again.
    abbasgirl, Insane and Midnightly like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    It's not whining.. sometimes you have to express your frustration so you can release the pressure a bit and move on. Life is definitely more challenging when you have health issues and compounded when there are so many expenses. Sometimes we need to take a little time out, to lean, to vent and then begin again.
    Agree 100%. You are allowed to rant. Everyone does it. It's cathartic. You can rant away anytime here. It's not whinning, it's expressing a frustration. Everyone gets frustrated some time.
    MillieH likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I really wish the money we give to (for example) The United Way would actually make it to the real people who really need help. SO many of us could use help, but it's simply not there. I am so sorry that you're having to go through this. Sending smiles your way.....wish it could be dollars. Also sending positive vibes that maybe somehow a whole lotta cash will find its tax-free way to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information