User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Can I get Pepper and Tomato seedlings from Canadian Tire or Home Depot?

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I opted not to start these inside. I did start cucumbers and now I'm kind of wishing I'd just started the tomatoes and Peppers too, because it's just so exciting to see them growing so fast! But it would mean going back out and getting more Jiffy Greenhouses and seed packs. And then more chance of failure during transplanting them to my container gardens once they're ready.

I just assumed that CT or HD would have seedlings that I need in a month or so. But now I'm wondering, what if they don't have pepper or tomato seedlings. I've never had to look because well, it's my first time gardening lol. Are these common seedlings that most places would carry?

If not, is it too late to start my own? Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Home Depot
    Last edited by Bronwen; Wed, Mar 26th, 2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Natalka and Shwa Girl like this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I've attached a few pictures because I'm so proud of how well my kids are cultivating their cucumbers hahaha

Last edited by Bronwen; Wed, Mar 26th, 2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Natalka, GoJays, walkonby and 4 others like this.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They usually have both, but not for awhile yet. They might not have either if this stupid winter keeps up

It's awesome that you have your kids participating in the planting They'll be able to appreciate those cucumbers once they taste them and realize how much better they are than store bought ones.
    Last edited by GoJays; Wed, Mar 26th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Congrats Bronwen on giving your kids such an educational task, and one that will reap them benefits nutritionally. I agree with GoJays, if this winter does not stop soon, there may not be any seedlings for a while. Just keep checking in with the stores.
    Good luck with your garden.
    Shwa Girl and Bronwen like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Awesome to have your children do this!

Actually, peppers and tomatoes are two things I always buy as plants already - every time I've tried them indoors they've just been so scraggly.
    Shwa Girl and Bronwen like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Thanks guys for your input it really helps!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The big Canadian Tires have a huge garden centre. Home Depot has the garden club that you can join.
    I saw Loblaws guys setting up their outdoor garden structures yesterday.

BTW, my friend waits until the tomato seedlings look very sad, buys them for next to nothing and raises great tomatoes.
    Bronwen likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Well you've all been so helpful I may as well ask another question that's been nagging at me...

How do I keep critters out of my garden? We have a massive raccoon problem here. There are also skunks, squirrels and a lot of stray cats. I'm anticipating that they'll all give me trouble. Our townhouse backs onto a forested area, so not much chance of getting rid of the wildlife.

I've thought about chicken wire, but a roll big enough to make a good secure area would cost close to $50 by the time you add tax. Any other suggestions for maybe some sort of enclosure?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    I opted not to start these inside. I did start cucumbers and now I'm kind of wishing I'd just started the tomatoes and Peppers too, because it's just so exciting to see them growing so fast! But it would mean going back out and getting more Jiffy Greenhouses and seed packs. And then more chance of failure during transplanting them to my container gardens once they're ready.

I just assumed that CT or HD would have seedlings that I need in a month or so. But now I'm wondering, what if they don't have pepper or tomato seedlings. I've never had to look because well, it's my first time gardening lol. Are these common seedlings that most places would carry?

If not, is it too late to start my own? Thanks

Yes, most stores carry both tomato and peppers. I would not buy them until 3-4 days before you want to transplant them into containers or in the ground. As I have found that they are a pain to get early as you have to be super viligant to keep them alive as they have grow lamps at the green house that you dont have at home. If you get a chance read lasagna gardening - as it does not require tilling or large spaces. My kids love this type of gardening as they help create the layers

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Canadian Tire carries 25ft rolls of green plastic grid fencing (3' or 4' high)-Made in Canada-$19.99 per roll. You would need some rods (thin metal or maybe some sturdy sticks) to put around the perimeter of your garden plus tie straps (small ones) to secure your fence. Then you have to think about a small gate-maybe some scrap wood (check for splinters/staples/nicks) that you can fashion, cover in fencing plus a latch and hinge assembly.

Canadian Tire does sell some varieties of pepper plants and tomato plants-if you want them right away, go when the garden centre opens probably a couple of weeks before Victoria Day weekend. If you wait for the sell-off of plants in July when the plants may be half dried-out or more, better know how to rescue the plants!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I just bought some seeds yesterday to start indoors this weekend. So excited!
    Bronwen likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Ur kids r so darling darn cute!!
    Bronwen likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by babypiggy View Post
    Ur kids r so darling darn cute!!
    Thank you!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good to see your kids and there work they are cute...
    Yeah I have brought tomato seedlings from Home Depot, so you can get them there!
    Bronwen likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

How grows the garden?
    Bronwen likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information