User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aslan
  • 1 Post By Aslan

Thread: Hektor Konomi - problem regarding Pen Drive

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi all, I have a pen drive of 8GB. Yesterday, unfortunately I dropped my pen drive in water by mistake. The main problem is that it is not working now. I have tried many times but unable to connect it. i have saved many important files in this pen drive. So, I am much troubled. Is there any way to get all saved information in this PD. Please suggest me.

Regards
    Hektor Konomi
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What happens if you plug it into a computer? Any error messages?

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Don't plug it in any more, this may damage the drive or even your computer. Don't use anything like a hair dryer or other device that generates heat. This may damage the circuit traces or circuit board and make the drive inoperable.

If you can, take apart the case, to try and let any more water out and limit corrosion. If it's glued really tightly then don't bother with this step.

After trying this, rinse the drive with denatured or isopropyl alcohol, 75% or higher. The alcohol will draw some of the water out and speed up drying.

After this, take a small bag of uncooked rice, place the drive in with the rice, and seal. Leave this there for at least 24 hours, but a few days is preferred. The rice is an absorbent, and will speed evaporation of the water in the drive.

If this works, copy the files out of the drive immediately, and make a couple backups.

If this doesn't work, then you might have to take the drive to a dedicated recovery service. This will probably not be cheap, but will have a better chance of getting your files back.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Aslan; Fri, Mar 28th, 2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Mistake in editing.
    hektor likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks to both for your responses. I will try to do the same as you suggested here....

Regards
    Hektor konomi

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello Aslan, I have tried everything what you told me but still I am unable to run the pen drive. i went to a mechanic but he also unable to run this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Unfortunately it looks like the drive is probably gone. The only other suggestion I have is to take it to a dedicated drive recovery service. This will be quite expensive, but it's probably your only option unless you're familiar with desoldering flash drives.

http://www.flashdrivepros.com/ I'm only giving this as an example, I have no clue how good they are as a service.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Aslan for your kind support.....

Regards
    Hektor Konomi

Thread Information