User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Zonny

Thread: Tips on Buying a New Leather Sofa

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Any advice on best quality? Best value? Looking to likely spend 4K on a love seat and couch or 2 couches.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Run away from 'bonded' leather - it's cheap, and that's the quality you'd get too.

Ours is Natuzzi, and we're very pleased with it. We went with dark brown leather, it's several years old and still in great condition. We don't apply any products to it, messes wipe off easily (we have a DS who's nearly eight now).

I think this is the one I have: http://www.sears.ca/product/natuzzi-...02-21604-21604

I would never buy at Sears again, due to some things that happened with another purchase a few months later.
    Last edited by Zonny; Sun, Mar 30th, 2014 at 11:08 AM.
    i_forget and pdaaat like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Looking at La Z Boy. Heard good and bad. More good. Everyone seems to be selling the best and slams everyone else!

Read good things about Natuzzi too but also heard the ones through Sears are not made the same.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 05:20 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Some sofas are not all leather, they are called "Leather Touch". Arms, seats, seat backs are leather, but the back of the sofa itself and the lower part where your feet are around the base outside and outer sides are fake leather. So be aware that such a hybrid thing exists.
    That's not a *horrible* thing if you know about it up front. Those parts that are made of fake leather aren't subject to wear like the seats are, so might be OK if you're looking at that price point.

Our Natuzzi leather sofa and chair are from Sears and about four years old, still in great condition. I have no complaints about them at all. Like most sofas, the middle seat doesn't get sat in much so it's not getting squished like the rest does, but even the end seats aren't flattened really. The only thing I don't like, I can't remove the cushions, it would be nice to rotate them sometimes but they're kind of built in.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:40 AM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We bought a 100% leather set on sale from Sears Home about 5 months ago. It's Palliser. It came with a sofa, chaise, and chair. It's creamy color. It's very easy to clean, everything just wipes right off. It comes in every color you can imagine, so no issue there. We paid extra for added warranty against any rips, or stains that we aren't able to remove. If they can't remove the stain, they will replace it with a new one. All 3 pieces were around $4 k total. Palliser is probably the best leather you can get. It's incredibly comfortable and very stylish.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yes watch for fake leather. If it doesnt say genuine leather its not and will crack and look terrible fast. Most stores like the brick and leons say they have genuine leather but when yiu read the small print on the tag its says the back, sides etc are not real leather but the seats, seat back etc are. We bought one of these types knowingly, 2 cindy crawford type leather reclining sofas, happy so far. Next set though may be lazy boy.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Make sure it is 100% leather and that you find it comfortable

Thread Information