• 3 Post By SassyAshley
  • 4 Post By ilovecats
  • 2 Post By MillieH
  • 1 Post By samm07

Thread: Walmart PMing

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I was super excited when I learned that my local WM PMed nationwide, but lately I am finding that many items can't be PMed -

1. items that are sold individually and not per lb (e.g. peppers, brocoli)
    2. items that come in different sizes (sooo many! e.g. my store only sells 3lb carrots, whereas I always see great deals for 2 or 5lbs)
    3. items that my store does not carry (common brand names, e.g. certain pasta/sauces)

Makes you wonder if it's intentional..."hey! bring your flyers and do all your shopping with us...aww, can't find your items? since you're here anyways, buy our stuff!!"

I can understand that products will vary based on location - certain products found in the West may not be available in the East - but I would assume it should be fairly consistent within a province.

After having the luxury of PMing in the last 3 months, it's hard to pay full price!
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    torontogal12 and sam786 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

yes, you are right, sometimes I wish there is a RCSS nearby me, the closest one to me is 45mins drive! so I m pretty much stuck with WM when comes to pming. their grocery selections are limited since they are a department store, not a real grocery store. I just have to work around it the best as possible and learn as I go to see which and what can't be pm'ed. For the brocoli, their crown brocoli are by the lbs, only their bunched ones are sold by unit. I found out by picking up the wrong ones and cashier pointed out to me, so in the future I make sure I got the crown ones. carrots-walmart seem to only carry 3lbs bags, but they sometimes can be on sale for around $1. about brand, some stores do carry sudden brands and not other ones. ex. walmart never carry lactantia dairy products and very limited choice of soy sauces....., no royale 6pk facial tissues which I was dying to pm for $2.99, lol, but never happened due to this reason, sigh.....their boi choy are sold in 1lb bags by the unit, can't be pm'ed as well....
    Last edited by cinpow; Tue, Apr 15th, 2014 at 01:51 AM.
    torontogal12, sam786 and d.ot like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

My WM PMs items sold individually! It just has to be sold in whichever way the other ad sells; i.e. Mangoes are sold per unit at all stores, I believe, so I can PM those at WM. I have never tried or noticed broccoli or peppers though. I just try to be grateful that at least my WM Superstore does PM nationwide because some stores still don't do this
    d.ot likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

But I think in some cases you also need to look at this on the flip side. I have notice some of our local grocery stores are now doing things differently which I think is so they cannot be price matched. We have one store normally only carries 3lb bags of carrots and 10lb bags of potatoes but the last two times these items have been on sale they got in 2lb bags of carrots and 5lb bags of potatoes.

But you also see this at other stores for example if you Price Match at No Frills it is great for general items but in general our No Frills has selected variety on flavours (ie VH sauce they do not carry all kinds, Classico they only carry select varieties). So I think when Price Matching this can become an issue no matter where you Price Match.

In some ways the ability to Price Match has really helped the consumer because you now see stores become more competitive but at the same time these stores need to find a way to you into their stores and not have you price match somewhere else.
    torontogal12, d.ot and sun_shine like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    But I think in some cases you also need to look at this on the flip side. I have notice some of our local grocery stores are now doing things differently which I think is so they cannot be price matched. We have one store normally only carries 3lb bags of carrots and 10lb bags of potatoes but the last two times these items have been on sale they got in 2lb bags of carrots and 5lb bags of potatoes.

But you also see this at other stores for example if you Price Match at No Frills it is great for general items but in general our No Frills has selected variety on flavours (ie VH sauce they do not carry all kinds, Classico they only carry select varieties). So I think when Price Matching this can become an issue no matter where you Price Match.

In some ways the ability to Price Match has really helped the consumer because you now see stores become more competitive but at the same time these stores need to find a way to you into their stores and not have you price match somewhere else.
    Another thing the competitors are doing so price matching can't happen is they won't give a price for their product, or they don't specify the size (and if there is a picture, the size on the product is removed or hidden so one can't tell), or they use percentages off rather than specifying a price.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I feel it will take a while for the managers to find their footing. The Walmart nearest me has decided to only pm their major competitors. They won't pm mom and pop stores ie Asian stores.. nor will they price match dairy from Quebec and one store in particular from there named Super Marche or something similar. They are also really reading the small print looking for reasons NOT to match.

An item in particular is the Sunlight tabs for $4 at Safeway. The manager said they wouldn't match safeway because you need a card to get the savings. The ad actually states "card free savings" It helps to notice these things in advance and be prepared with a copy of what the "card free savings" means from Safeway's website.

I think if we are patient while they go through this transition we will have better success than if we get angry and aggressive. We don't want to trigger a knee jerk reaction where they refuse to ad match at all.
    SassyAshley and d.ot like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I agree stores now I think are struggling to find ways to get you in THEIR store not someone else's. I hate my Walmart as some may have noticed in other posts. They are very inconsistent with basic principles they have carried out for YEARS like overages! I've heard stock ppl discussing "pulling that sale item" they are just shady. So... I drive around store to store PM what I can at target and fresh co. If it's a particular good deal only I can find at WM I purchase that one item and leave.

Truthfully I think must of us agree target has had fabulous deals! I'd much rather give them my buisness to keep them in Canada and not go under than Walmart.

But on the original note, I do think this new policy will take some time I feel like certain managers think coupon use will bring a loss to the store when actually it doesn't! Before my WM got annoying I'd PM everything, use my coupons, and buy the rest of my groceries from then. Not anymore.
    d.ot likes this.

Thread Information