• 1 Post By anisa
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: Skin cancer rates rise. Why? Tanning : (

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

It's coming up on the summer season. Really. No jokin'. Skin cancer is preventable. The rates are rising because,

Experts say the popularity of 'must-have' tans, package holidays abroad and sunbeds are among reasons for the increase.
    How much increase?

There were 13,052 malignant melanoma cases in Great Britain in 2011 compared with 1,757 cases in 1975.
    Skin cancer is preventable. Here’s how:

overexposure to UV rays from the sun or sunbeds is the main cause of skin cancer. This means, in many cases, the disease can be prevented, and is why it’s essential to get into good sun safety habits
    Good habits?

It’s essential to take care not to burn – sunburn is a clear sign that the DNA in your skin cells has been damaged and, over time, this can lead to skin cancer. When the sun is strong, pop on a t-shirt, spend some time in the shade and use a sunscreen with at least SPF15 and good UVA protection.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Make sure you have complete UV protection, and when in doubt, stay in the shade.

UVB burns the top layers of skin
    UVA causes a change in skin color, penetrates the deepest and causes mutations in cells.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    Make sure you have complete UV protection, and when in doubt, stay in the shade.

UVB burns the top layers of skin
    UVA causes a change in skin color, penetrates the deepest and causes mutations in cells.
    Yes.
    All true.
    Unfortunately.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Protect eyes as well with clip on shades (have to see if the market has made ones that fit the smaller lenses on regular eyewear, not the aviator style large lenses of yore).
    Hats with brims all round-very helpful to keep your neck and forehead from going lobster red. As recovery from red skin can be LONG and involve pain relief while head throbs and skin layers are sending lovely messages of OUCH! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT? in the meantime...
    I'm of the opinion that what we put on our skin daily is like a chemical layer of stuff that might one day turn on the cells that go rogue/cancerous (ingredients lists-wish chemistry class covered how those substances became salts and alcohols and other chemicals, with molecular diagrams on the chalk board). I like having Ms Sunshine shine on me without sunscreen when I'm walking but I do not purposely find a lounger and tan under the sun. So I have toasty looking arms and some tan on face but tend to look rather pale elsewhere. Sunscreen is fine on breezy warm days but cannot tolerate sunscreen on humid days (not a fun feeling of poaching in my skin).

High school memories-seeing peers who overdid the weekend sun at a conservation area or beach and wincing when their cooked lobster red limbs struck a surface when sitting down.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Today, Ontario bans tanning salons if you are under 18, to decrease skin cancer rates that are high for people in their 20s and 30s -- higher than skin cancer rates for seniors!

Starting Thursday, people under the age of 18 will be banned from tanning beds across Ontario.
    The ban, which passed through Queen’s Park unanimously last fall, requires tanning bed operators to ask customers for proof of age if they appear to be under the age of 25.
    Read more: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/youth-ta...#ixzz30YLu7c87
    Natalka and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

So the people who want to be tanned for prom will have to find a spray tan salon or tan outside or try self-tanners.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    So the people who want to be tanned for prom will have to find a spray tan salon or tan outside or try self-tanners.
    Good news.
    There is one more option for the prom.
    Go with the skin they were born with and feel good about themselves.

And they can get to the prom like this

Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    Yes.
    And Hugh Jackman has reported he has been treated for skin cancer. A SECOND time
    Hugh Jackman has been treated for skin cancer again.
    The 'Wolverine' actor - who had cancerous cells removed last November - tweeted Friday, "Another Basel Cell Carsinoma. All out now. Thanks Dr. Albom and Dr. Arian. Please! Please! wear sunscreen!"
    He urged fans to protect themselves from the damaging rays of the sun after undergoing the procedure to remove cancerous cells.
    Natalka likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Historically I suspect skin cancer would have been very high because a lot of people worked outside on farms, in forests, on boats or as foot soliders but they would not have been diagnosed as the primitive doctors wouldn't have been able to diagnose skin cancer in the myriad ways we do now.

Historically, also, a tanned or weather-beaten skin was looked down on as being lower class so the people who could afford to see the doctor wouldn't be exposed to the outside as often.

It was only when Coco Chanel espoused the whole tanned skin as a status symbol of money=time to laze around in the sun which ignited the boom for tanned skin in the 1920's. Following World War II when short haul and then long haul flights became within the grasp of the working classes hat the persuit of the ultimate tan was the whole goal of the overseas holiday.

The more accurate diagnosis, publicity on the news media and the relativily easy treatment of cancers such as basal cell cancers should make skin cancer a ting of the past as long as we are pro-active in protecting ourselves and our children.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A new report from the Canadian Cancer Society finds that the incidence rate of melanoma – the deadliest form of skin cancer—is rising for both men and women.

According to estimates in the report released Wednesday, 6,500 new cases of melanoma and 76,100 cases of non-melanoma skin cancers will be diagnosed in Canada in 2014. The report also estimates 1,490 deaths due to skin cancer this year.

The most important risk factor for developing skin cancer is exposure to the sun or ultraviolet radiation from tanning beds and sunlamps.

Link also includes info on how to check -

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/how-to-...#ixzz33492lcwE

Thread Information