• 3 Post By Nancy Cherry Meow
  • 2 Post By Retiree
  • 2 Post By anastasia1009
  • 1 Post By Frugalbigmama

Thread: How to protect yourself from credit breaches

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sometimes the fraudsters start out with small charges to check if a number is “live” and can be used to make bigger purchases. Or the con artists keep making more fake small charges just to keep the scam going.

Former Washington Post employee Brain Krebs, who runs the watchdog site Krebs on Security, has advised consumers to report such fraud immediately to the card issuer. He said it’s also a good idea to request a new card even if the bank doesn’t suggest it. After all, if someone has your card number, odds are good that more fraud charges, big or small, could continue.

Beverly Harzog, a credit card expert and author of Confessions of a Credit Junkie, said consumers should not just wait for statements. They should also track their card activity online or through mobile banking as often as they can.
    http://www.thestar.com/business/pers..._breaches.html

Personally, this article wasn't as enlightening as I'd hoped, because I already check my account online at least once a week. I thought that maybe for those starting out or those who are concerned about their credit cards, but aren't sure what to do, might find this useful.

Do you check your accounts regularly?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Everyday! Takes literally 2 minutes to do it online, and by tracking it everyday, you are more mindful of the money coming out of your account/being charged.
    Retiree, Frugalbigmama and trishka like this.
    Affordable and cute jewellery coming soon! https://www.facebook.com/coquetteries.ca

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I check both our credit cards and our bank account each morning, when I am checking e-mail. As Nancy says, it only takes about 2 minutes. I have been doing that for quite a number of years.

Last year, I was able to pick up that our credit card had been compromised and was able to get it ged, corrected and a new card issued right away. If I only looked at it when the statement came in, who knows how much damage might have been done.
    anastasia1009 and trishka like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for sharing this topic. Well it’s definitely useful for me. Once I read this article I had a chance to protect my credit card.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I check my CC and banking account every day too - I used my CC at a EDM event in Toronto to buy a t shirt and I guess they copied my CC number - my CC bought tickets to Vegas to see Brittney Spears - glad I caught it and new card came within days,
    Retiree and trishka like this.

FLA
    Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can view all charges online for most bank accounts and credit card accounts, so check regularly is the best way to protect yourself.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I sometimes suggest to my clients (especially wealthy ones) using a card with a lower limit for everyday things and keep your higher limit ones for special purposes only. Easier and safer to track and limited potential loss.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

But my high limit one is my fav cc card

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well most credit card companies either offer insurance on theft gratis, or you can purchase it for a few bucks. . .not to worry.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My card was compromised for the 1st time ever this winter and the cc company called me to tell me. (it was just used for gas and they denied it) so I was very happy how they handled it.
    emg likes this.

Thread Information