User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By SavvyLady
  • 1 Post By avoncallingu
  • 1 Post By MrsSunshine
  • 1 Post By saundyl
  • 1 Post By SharonMe
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Trying to figure out how to avoid these crazy energy prices next winter. Suggestions?

Driven by success
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone have suggestions on lowering my energy costs? This last winter was INSANE, and I'm hoping there is a way to get out of or be discounted for my energy use. I'd like to be able to do this for both my home and business.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Great thread. Every idea helps..we're a family of 5 and when I do the wash or use the dishwasher( which is rare) I find it easier and faster to do the dishes by hand..but, I put the washing machine on delayed timer and I do the wash on off peak hours, and I'm always up early so I put it in the dryer before peak hours, do your wash in cold water..I don't know about you but I used to stuff my washing machine with clothes thinking I'm doing fewer washes, turns out that if you stuff your dryer the heat doesn't circulate and it takes longer to dry the clothes, costing you more in the long run...keep your thermostat set a couple of degrees less..you save money and sleep better! There are a lot of suggestions on the internet..
    If you're lucky enough to have a ceiling fan, running it in the correct direction makes this easy. When it's hot, the fan should spin counter-clockwise to push the hot air up and out. When the weather turns cold, instead spin the fans clockwise to trap heat inside. You'll often find a switch on your ceiling fan to choose a direction, so consult your fan's manual to find out where it is.
    I know most of these seem like common sense, but a few dollars here and there adds up!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Start knitting! Wearing a little touque keeps you warm. I find, too, that wearing a scarf around my neck keeps me warm.
    I think that you are talking about a discount system but I have not heard of any such discount or rebate. Probably someone on here has though!
    TooCouponCrazy likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

in addition to the fan suggestion. keep your windows/curtains closed during the day if you can. OR at least open them in reverse of the sun. you'll have a cooler breeze that way. black out blinds/curtains help as well.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Power saving tips I've tried

Power bars for Computers etc being switched off when not in use. Unplugging appliances when not in use.
    We turn the heat down to 15 when we arent home and at night.
    Invested in a Digital thermostat with auto programming.
    When we go away we change the programming to 15 all day and night.
    Turn lights and such off when not in use.
    Let the dishwasher air dry instead of heat dry
    Hang clothing to dry. (i miss my clothes line!)
    Turn the TV off when we are doing other things - this has been a hard one for the boys to learn.

Winter time:
    Plastic covers over windows.
    Leave curtains open during the day to catch the heat closed at night to retain it.
    We close the door between the house and the main entry to keep the rest of the house warmer.
    Program the furnace Turn the heat down 1/2 an hour before bed and 5 minutes before we get up it turns back on.
    Timers on the Plugin for the Block heaters.
    Limit usage on the electric heater

I personally am more apt to cover with a blanket or put on warmer clothing before turning the heat up.
    SharonMe likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

We had an old freezer in the basement that we unplugged and that lowered our bill by quite a bit as it wasn't energy efficient.
    We got a programable thermostat and bought those plastic sheeting at dollartree for the windows in the winter.
    In the summer we will use fans for cooling the house when we can.
    Look for ways to save on cooking time. Microwave when possible.
    A lot of veggies are pretty good microwave and if necessary stir fried when they're nearly done.
    I soak rice in boiled water from the kettle for a couple of hours before cooking. It's nearly cooked by this time. Then cook a short while on the stove.
    I try to go an hour each day without turning on the lights when it's twilight. It's difficult because my family likes electric lighting even when the sun's bright.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have wondered whatever happened to the corn cob burning stoves that were all the rage some years ago that promised to save money. Guess the rise in corn prices put an end to the market?

LED lighting is supposed to help save energy but the bulbs cost more. Have not seen much in terms of warm LED bulbs for home market. While digital signs are good for making businesses noticed, has anyone tracked how much they cost to operate in a year (maintenance, electricity, annual painting if paint fades)?

Toronto Hydro-have you explored the programs for business?
    http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/el...s/default.aspx

There's a green roof program for businesses.
    http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD

I worry about gas consumption-cannot go back in time to wood stoves and drawing water from wells in suburbia. Wish beer can solar panels were available to all house owners to help offset the energy costs-however, the glare issue needs addressing.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We wash the bowl by our hands even in the winter

Thread Information