• 1 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 1 Post By rhexpose
  • 1 Post By secheltsaver
  • 1 Post By hidemein

Thread: The Seeding Square - Small Gardens

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I discovered the "Seed Square" online today. It's not a product I need, but might be useful for novice gardeners, square-foot gardeners, or people who enjoy gadgets!

The fact that it's based in Canada caught my eye.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...marter-not-har

Their Facebook page is HERE.

Update: The kickstarter project is finished, and the Seed Square is now available through their
    WEBSITE.

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Tue, Jul 1st, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Very good idea. I think we can do this for less $$$ than what they are saying. Me and my DH were talking about doing something like this next year. Uptade on it next year. Thank you for sharing.........................

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's creative. I hope they meet their fundraising goal. I don't think it's a product l would buy, but I love the idea. If urban gardens bought one or two for their gardeners to borrow/sign out, I bet they'd get a lot of interest. They need to design a round one for pots.
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    That's creative. I hope they meet their fundraising goal. I don't think it's a product l would buy, but I love the idea. If urban gardens bought one or two for their gardeners to borrow/sign out, I bet they'd get a lot of interest. They need to design a round one for pots.

That is exactly what I was thinking, about urban/community gardens having some to lend out to their gardeners. I never thought about a round one - neat idea!

I hope they meeting their fundraising goal, too. I hate it when an idea I like doesn't, I feel badly for the folks behind the project. They have set the goal figure rather high, which is risky. (On the other end of the spectrum, a small bathing suit business in BC recently set their goal at $10,000 and I think they exceeded $70,000 in funds raised!) They've been written up in several papers and articles, so maybe that figured into the goal amount they chose. In any case, I'll be spreading the word!
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Sun, Jun 1st, 2014 at 04:33 PM.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Being a newbie gardener (second year planting an herb and vegetable garden) with a garden that is actually small (less than half the size they showed), that product totally does not appeal to me. From the reading that I have done so far, planting things that close together doesn't lead to "the highest yield possible" but rather too much competition between plants and deleption of nutrients in the soil.

While I admire their goal of trying to encourage people to plant a garden/make it easier, am not sure a lot of new gardeners would want to spend $39 (which they seem to be saying is below their retail price?) to buy a one square foot piece of plastic to assist with laying out the garden. How helpful is it really? The gardener still has to decide what goes where. This tool is just for spacing.
    rhexpose likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yep, I agree, it's a spacing gadget. I probably wouldn't use it, but some people love this kind of thing, along with other not-entirely-necessary but kind-of-neat gardening tools. I can see Lee Valley carrying something like the Seeding Square.

It must be helpful on some level, as I have seen dozens of home-made variations of this template on Pinterest, gardening sites, etc.

Thanks so much for your post!
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Fri, Jun 6th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
    rhexpose likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    Yep, I agree, it's a spacing gadget. I probably wouldn't use, but some people love this kind of thing, along with other not-entirely-necessary but kind-of-neat gardening tools. I can see Lee Valley carrying something like the Seeding Square.

It must be helpful on some level, as I have seen dozens of home-made variations of this template on Pinterest, gardening sites, etc.

Thanks so much for your post!
    Agree with you completely. They should almost try to bring that idea to dragons den (at least get some PR) but I am sure the dragons will say the same thing.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

This would be a perfect acessory for one of those square foot garden bed building kits you see advertised.I could definitely see Lee Valley offering it,but at a lower price point,say $19.95 or so.
    Super807,if you are a newbie gardener you should check out a book called Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew or visit the SFG website.This product is designed for use with this type of garden.The method does provide very high yields in small spaces,but optimal soil fertility is the cornerstone,and careful layout is vital.Plants utilize a certain amount of the area around them (root zone)and a larger area is basically wasted space,although weeds will apreciate it!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

nice sharing. will have a try

Thread Information