User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Questions about Mortgages

Trading Score
    102 (97%)

Hi everyone!

Can anyone shed any light on the minimum % downpayment a bank would require on say, a $180,000 home with a credit score of 700? Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO likes this.
    FT: TONS of $1 Unilever Icecream,including BREYERS! EXP: AUG 31ST!

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

5% = $9,000.

This is what's called a high ratio mortgage which means you will have to pay for it to be insured. For a mortgage of $171,000, that cost should be $5,386. (but it will be added to your loan)
    KEEP IN MIND insurance premium will have HST applied and you can NOT add that to the loan

Do keep in mind all the other factors.
    Income
    How long employed at job,
    All taxes filed and up to date
    Other debt obligations (i.e. car loans, high balances on cred. cards)

You will need to qualify to support debt you have (and will continue to have)
    Insurer will include $100 min. for heat each month
    ALso your property taxes will be included in costs, of course

If you need help just pm me. Best wishes!
    Last edited by MortgageQueen; Thu, Jun 12th, 2014 at 01:24 AM.
    ROMEO and Tinkerbella like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella View Post
    Hi everyone!

Can anyone shed any light on the minimum % downpayment a bank would require on say, a $180,000 home with a credit score of 700? Thanks in advance!
    Hi Tinkerbella,

Rather than explain all the details of the requirements, I've put a link below that will direct you to the CMHC website that provides an excellent explanation of the requirements for insured mortgages for purchases. It includes a program summary document as well as a presentation. You shouldn't have to do any guessing after following the link. If you still have questions just post them.

Hope it helps,

Rob

http://cmhc.ca/en/hoficlincl/moloin/hopr/hopr_004.cfm
    ROMEO and Tinkerbella like this.
    Robert Ganzhorn, Mortgage Agent, FSCO#11129
    Dominion Lending Centres - YBM Group
    [email protected]
    Join my mortgage group on smartcanucks
    Each office independently owned and operated

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OK, I'll be the wet blanket here.

I'll be blunt - you are asking the wrong question. Rather than asking "what is the minimum down payment", you really should be asking "can I really afford a house when I can't come up with a reasonable (i.e. well over 5%) down payment?".

I'm not meaning to come across as a jerk. But I really, really think that you should sit down and think long and hard about this. And I don't mean "I really want this house, and this is the only way I can afford it".
    super_e, Zonny, Retiree and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with Brundt. There is a lot more to owning a home than just the mortgage payment. On top of the mortgage payment there are the taxes, insurance and repairs and maintenance, to name a few.

I wouldn't have wanted not to own a house when our kids were growing up and there is definitely an emotional pay back to being a home owner but I can say that living in an apartment for the past 3 years has been a lot less expensive. It is a very nice apartment and the rent includes the utilities. This makes budgeting very easy. On top of that, our tenant insurance is about 1/3 of what our homeowners' insurance was. If we need a repair, we simply put in a work order and someone comes and does it.
    ROMEO and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think you have very good points Retiree, but really they are coming from someone such as yourself at a different time of your life.
    Its a strong human desire to have roots and a home of your own, especially if you have or expect to have children.

I mostly agree with you Brunt, but there are actually people out there that can afford the payment and maintenance of a home despite only putting 5% DP. But I think you are referring to the ones that are buying outside of their resources, and this is where I agree its a dangerous proposition.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree, MortgageQueen. Part of the driving force in moving toward home ownership, as it was with us, is the prospect of setting down roots and raising a family in a place we can call our own.

My only point, really, is that when it comes to affordability there is a lot more to consider than just the mortgage payment.
    Last edited by Retiree; Thu, Jun 19th, 2014 at 08:51 AM.
    ROMEO and MortgageQueen like this.

Happy Couponing
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

If you are only doing 5 percent down as a minimum remember to also put aside the cost of the cmhc insurance, the cost of an appraisal most likely (depending on you lender), land transfer fees and closing costs.

Good luck!
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
    If you are only doing 5 percent down as a minimum remember to also put aside the cost of the cmhc insurance, the cost of an appraisal most likely (depending on you lender), land transfer fees and closing costs.

Good luck!
    CMHC is tacked onto your mortgage . You don't have to pay it separately.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    102 (97%)

Well before you get a head of yourself, I did not say I didn't have enough for a down payment.
    I personally feel that 20,000 should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    OK, I'll be the wet blanket here.

I'll be blunt - you are asking the wrong question. Rather than asking "what is the minimum down payment", you really should be asking "can I really afford a house when I can't come up with a reasonable (i.e. well over 5%) down payment?".

I'm not meaning to come across as a jerk. But I really, really think that you should sit down and think long and hard about this. And I don't mean "I really want this house, and this is the only way I can afford it".
    FT: TONS of $1 Unilever Icecream,including BREYERS! EXP: AUG 31ST!

Happy Couponing
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

That can be done as well, just plan to have the 5 percent of the cmhc cost over and above your purchase price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

https://www.alterna.ca/SharedContent...ntMadeEasy.pdf

Easy to understand mortgage basics, precise & concise ..for anyone interested
    wtodd123 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It depends on your income & how much mtg you qualify for..and also how much other debt you have.

so you can get away with the minimum 5 % if all the above things are favorable in addition to a good credit score.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone, also trying to figure out these online Bank MORTGAGE AFFORDABILITY TOOLS, hoping someone can give me some answers! Trying to do some financial planning.

So each tool online is a little bit different, anyone know which is the most accurate? ex. TD asks for credit limit on c.cards while CIBC simply asks for C.card payments?
    Most tools only ask for heating but what about hydro, water ?
    Does anyone know where OSAP fits? Do you put the whole lump sum osap loan amount into lines of credit ? Or do you put it under monthly loan payments?
    How does do these tools accommodate for living expenses? Is that what they are looking for when they ask for C.card payments? Or is that simply asking for c.card payments towards loans and not actual living expenses (Food, Gas, e.t.c)

Current Situation:

Gross Income: 70,000
    OSAP Loan amounts: approx 40,000, monthly payments of approx $500/month

No other loans
    Living Expenses approx: $1000 (Gas,groceries,entertainment e.t.c)

Downpayment: 5% (min possible)

Thanks for the help folks. Looking to figure out how far we are from realistically applying for mortgage.
    Last edited by Zeppelin89; Sat, Nov 29th, 2014 at 06:45 PM.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I have to wonder if buying is the answer. If buying a home means "putting in roots" & having "something to call their own" ........ then so be it, but in my opinion if you can't pay cash for a house, it's not "yours" & putting roots into someone else's (the banks) home, doesn't make sense. We are raised to marry & buy a home to raise kids in ................ but rarely do people buy their homes outright, therefore making the dwelling someone else's until they see that zero balance owing............all it appears to be is a forced savings program with poor returns...........housing profits will not likely create returns as they had prior to 2008, so investing money into a home concerns me. We pay lawyers fees to buy, mortgage interest, land transfer tax, property taxes, increased utilities, & then all the upkeep costs of owning a home ( ie lawn care, roof, general upkeep, paint, gardens, etc etc). The cost of owning a home seems never ending....all in the name of "owning something & putting down roots."

Truly contemplate all angles before buying a "home to call your own." Most, not all,but most people "rent" from the bank to have these "roots" (myself included)........if you decide to buy, put as much down as you can & work to pay it off quickly so it truly is "yours to root into!"

Just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by lucy16076; Sun, Nov 30th, 2014 at 02:41 AM.
    neelkamalll1979 and emg like this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information