• 1 Post By CanadianCouponCollector
  • 3 Post By tjthemanto
  • 3 Post By DiscoInfiltrator
  • 2 Post By captainfats
  • 1 Post By sickcars

Thread: Question about Teksavvy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Finally, I'm able to switch providers (my choices were Rogers or Bell until recently). I know a few folks on SC use Teksavvy, so I thought I'd ask here.

My options are Cable (25MBS, 300GB) or DSL (15MBS, 300GB). Not sure which is better (prices are more or less even with one a bit more expensive up front, but cheaper monthly rates).

Which should I choose? I`m not a gamer, watch the odd show or documentary, a bit of youtube, mostly email and such. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Rogers (Plus)
    walkonby and terry2144 like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have the DSL and run my Smart TV including Netflix, two Smart phones, a laptop and an iPod constantly and have noticed NO difference between them and my previous provider (Cogeco) since switching other than price. I chose unlimited useage, but if you lower the quality on Netflix (which doesn't actually affect the quality) you can keep the usage under decent amounts. I will be changing that also in the near future to save a few more dollars.
    Andit likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Finally, I'm able to switch providers (my choices were Rogers or Bell until recently). I know a few folks on SC use Teksavvy, so I thought I'd ask here.

My options are Cable (25MBS, 300GB) or DSL (15MBS, 300GB). Not sure which is better (prices are more or less even with one a bit more expensive up front, but cheaper monthly rates).

Which should I choose? I`m not a gamer, watch the odd show or documentary, a bit of youtube, mostly email and such. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help.
    Go with Cable if they are pretty much the same.

the problem with DSL is BELL plays lot of games when you go with a third party provider like Teksavvy, Distributel etc..as BELL owns the lines and these guys just rent it from BELL.

not a Teksavvy problem per se , but more BELL screwing up things for you, during the installation phase
    Andit, Shwa Girl and TLD like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yeah, just go with the cable. The great thing about TekSavvy too is if you go over 300GB, they cap your overage charges at the same price as the unlimited plan.
    Andit, Shwa Girl and terry2144 like this.

Current user title here.
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Sounds like you could get by with less speed and lower bandwidth. Check into their 6mbps cable option. It's only $25 a month in our area with a 75gb cap.
    Andit and terry2144 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I heard about teksavvy and I want to change my provider, my question is if I want to change from the 300 mb dsl to unlimited do they charge a fee for this?
    Last edited by apple pie; Sun, Nov 9th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

oh

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

And what do you think cable is? Rogers or Cogeco or whoever owns the cable lines also & there are the same issues with getting cable instead of DSL.

I personally say you get DSL because it is more reliable from what I have seen over many years. There tends to be more slow downs on Cable vs DSL because cable is shared in your area. Also DSL has lower ping times (really only good for gaming). Also Bell seems to watch and monitor their network better then cable, which is another reason why there are less slow downs during peak hours.

Depending on the the exact speed package you get the modem can be much cheaper.
    15/1 = $50 modem
    15/10 = $120 Modem

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    the problem with DSL is BELL plays lot of games when you go with a third party provider like Teksavvy, Distributel etc..as BELL owns the lines and these guys just rent it from BELL.

not a Teksavvy problem per se , but more BELL screwing up things for you, during the installation phase
    TLD likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

ok Andit, hope you have a nice experience with teksavvy which package you selected after all and hows that going so far? monthly bill etc.
    We are with Roger from last 10 years, but now its simply too much to pay their bills, first we changed home phone from them to magic jack (working great from last one year with unlimited long distance) now searching for internet unlimited. I checked acanic, teksavy and vmedia (3 diff. friends using those and every one has diff. opinion lol) so still confused which one in better.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Saver
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

uanoor, I've been with teksavvy for 6 months on their 30 mb/s cable package. They recently upped the cap to 400 GB which is as good as unlimited for me. So far not a single problem.
    Get $25 CASH for opening a Tangerine account. To receive the $$, enter 39061906S1 as the orange key when you sign up.To sign up or for more info go to http://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Looking for TekSavvy referral. Referral and me will receive $1/month credit for Internet service. PM me with your TekSavvy CID or name, I will sign up with TekSavvy and you will receive $1/month credit for all future internet service.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Sent you a PM Canada01
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Thread Information