User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Choosing between Cuba or Lasik

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm stuck and need others opinions, other then my husbands and my young boys
    This December my family and I plan on traveling to Ontario for a week to visit with family. After 6 days on SW Ontario, I had talked my husband into taking an all-inclusive Cuba vacation (amazing cheap deal too!) with just us and our boys and arrive back just before christmas day. My boys are REALLY excited to go to Cuba again.
    Yesterday my husband suddenly brings up Lasik surgery for me (I had been thinking about it a year prior but did not have the funds at the time and was unwilling to put it on a credit card). His argument is that he will be taking 2 weeks off in December for our trip to Ontario and Cuba, so why don't we put Cuba on hold and get Lasik done since he'll be home already and won't need to take any additional days off. As well, my contacts, solution, and glasses do cost quite a bit every 2-3 months (farsighted - that's where you can't see things far away, right? - and astigmatism in both eyes). He believes that the cost of $499 per eye (that is the starting price, I have not gone for a consultation yet so I don't know the full cost) is a small prices to pay for great vision.

His logic is sound and I do agree with it, but I have lived with contacts and glasses for years now and see it as no bother at all. I've also been to Cuba a few times now, but this will be the very first trip with just the four of us and no drama or b.s. from relatives who have joined us in the past to Cuba. Due to my husband busting his butt at work and my money management skills, we will have the funds by Sept. to pay for our Cuba and SW Ontario trip without the need of a credit card, and I already have quite a bit in a christmas savings fund. The ONLY thing I have not saved for was Lasik since it was not a planned expense. BUT, if we don't go to Cuba, I can fully afford the Lasik......but I really want Cuba too, mostly for quality time together, and being able to have a calm and relaxing week after a crazy drama filled week with our families.

Which would you choose? Cuba or Lasik?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by nainai0585; Thu, Jul 10th, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Natalka and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Personally, I would do Cuba.

Reason: Memories last a life time. The kids will have so much fun, and family comes first IMO. You can start saving for Lasik after that.
    walkonby, ticul and torontogal12 like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

What a wonderful man you have there! That's a LOT of love and it's very special that he has suggested you do this.

Get your eyes done.

I would do it in a heartbeat if I could afford to. My best friend had it done, and just can't explain enough how much freer she feels!

A holiday away is fleeting. You can save again to go in the future, and then you won't have to wear contacts/glasses to see everything clearly!
    Angela273, Nomerr, ticul and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Hubby had lasik and does not regret it one bit. Be prepared however to opt for the personalized treatment. The $499 per eye is basically a "one size may fit some" treatment. It will improve your vision but hubby opted for the personalized. His vision is better than 20/20 now. I believe it cost $1500-$2000 total (don't remember) but they offer payment plans that are reasonable and we paid it off faster than the term anyways. His eyesight was terrible so that has a factor in the price of the personalized treatment as well.

I agree with Natalka, Cuba is a short period of time. Not having to deal with glasses everyday far outweighs Cuba.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Speaking as the fiancee (and bank) of a beautiful lady who has lasik done about 2 years ago now, the starting rates are just that.
    the starting prices are basically the prices for those with a very weak prescription (+/- 0 to 2ish).

The price will start adding up fast depending on your prescription, age, prescription history and also your astigmatism.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get lasik. My lady says it's absolutely one of the best decisions she's ever made (getting it done)
    Natalka, Angela273, ticul and 1 others like this.
    DANGER

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not a fan of eye correction surgury.... I vote Cuba. I've been wearing glasses for 30 years and plan to wear it for another 30 years.
    travelgeek, ticul and torontogal12 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I also vote Cuba because ANY procedure is a risk. Although many have had wonderful outcomes from having Lasik performed does not mean yours will go well. You say you have np with wearing glasses/contacts, then that should be the deciding factor, they are your eyes, no one else's and if doing this for other people ends up compromising your eyesight, well I shudder to think about that.
    travelgeek, ticul and torontogal12 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cuba sounds lovely BUT not as great as seeing clearly. Everyone I know that's had it done was thrilled with the results. Cuba will come and go, but vision stays forever. It's also good for children to sacrifice once in awhile for the good of someone else. Sounds like ur hubby learned that behavior well.
    Natalka, Angela273, Nomerr and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I would go with lasik. Cuba isnt going anywhere, and there are always tons of all inclusive deals for Cuba all the time. Imagine the freedom of not wearing glasses or contacts!!!!!!
    Natalka, ticul and torontogal12 like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

LASIK for all the above mentioned reasons. I had it done 13 years ago and have never regretted it. It was an investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Natalka, ticul and torontogal12 like this.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    What a wonderful man you have there! That's a LOT of love and it's very special that he has suggested you do this.

Get your eyes done.

I would do it in a heartbeat if I could afford to. My best friend had it done, and just can't explain enough how much freer she feels!

A holiday away is fleeting. You can save again to go in the future, and then you won't have to wear contacts/glasses to see everything clearly!
    I agree with Natalka.
    Imagine your vacation with your glasses/contacts and now imagine it being free of all that during your vacation and beyond
    There are plenty of good deals you can get on Cuban destinations, they always have sales.
    A here's a thumbs up for having such an awesome hubby!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

It's so sweet and wonderful of your husband to think of you!

But at the end of the day, they are your eyes. If you're not ready then I say go to Cuba. The memories will be worth the trip!

If, on the other hand you do want the surgery then you have to decide if you want it now or are willing to wait a bit longer.

Perhaps you can get a free consultation and decide after that?

Whatever you decision, good luck! Wishing you the best

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    walkonby, ticul and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

It sounds if you had wanted the Lasik you would've planned for the expense, and the only reason you're thinking about it is because DH mentioned it.

I'd choose Cuba. I always wanted to go on family vacations when I was a child and we could never afford it. It’s so good for kids to learn about other cultures. Your kids would have so much fun too.

If the glasses don’t bother you, then another year wouldn’t really bother you, right?

This is coming from someone who doesn’t need glasses so doesn’t know your pain
    walkonby and ticul like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I just had Lasik done last month after saving up for it, for a while and I love it! I have been wearing glasses for over 30 years and I had a high prescription but I was a candidate and I bit the bullet and had it done. For me the idea of waking in the morning seeing clearly and no more panic when I cant find my glasses was my driving factor. Now I see my babies clearly every moment! If you do go through with it just research the additional charges for after-surgery appointments (that you have to do to keep the warranty) ...I kind of wasn't prepared for those charges by my optometrist.
    ticul likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I'd get the consultation done first. find out the exact cost.

if it were me, i'd go to Cuba, ONLY because i have an obtrusive bump on my nose and the glasses hide it. (i was hit with a shovel handle as a child)
    i just dont' think i'd look right without them..
    now if I didn't have that dang straight i'd have it done.

go have your consult done. then decide if you can still afford it.
    if not go to cuba
    ticul likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information