• 1 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 1 Post By PurpleBunny89
  • 1 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 1 Post By Little_Winter

Thread: Mulch

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone here use mulch for landscaping? I'm unsure whether to go with wood mulch or just go with stones/rocks. I know mulch is cheaper but I don't want to have to re-do it every few years. My house is brick...not sure if using rocks/stones for landscaping would look ok? My house is dark brown, which color stones or mulch would look best? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I will tell you the one problem I have with stone mulch, everything sticks in it whereas cedar mulch you can just mix everything in it and it will decompose. I find it a chore to clean out the rocks. I have them around my pool and a small pathway.

That being said I would not get rid of the stones around the pool but a good leaf blower sure does come in handy.

p.s. I have to add cedar mulch every year to the garden as it does decompose over time.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

what about rubber mulch? I liked this idea when I was looking into it but never did end up doing anything because I rent.
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    what about rubber mulch? I liked this idea when I was looking into it but never did end up doing anything because I rent.
    I see rubber mulch a lot now in playgrounds but the same problem, stuff gets in it and you have to clean it out.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Hi If it comes to colour - it's personal, we used to have the red one for many years, right now we use black (stone walls). We add new every season and I buy ripped bags from The Home Depot for 50 % off. I ask Head cashier for discount. It's better for the store to sell it to the customer instead of giving it to charity. Right now Scott's mulch is on sale at Canadian Tire and the Home Depot. Sale price 4.99 $ - 50 %. Not bad for me.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

mulch will also decompose a bit each year, so you can rework it back into the soil. I always use Mulch....keeps the weeds out (but you have to make sure to put a pretty thick blanket of it down in order to have weed control). Each year I just move the mulch out of the way to do my planting, then throw it back on....easy peasy!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you everyone !

Thread Information