• 1 Post By ladymonkey
  • 2 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By xlxo
  • 1 Post By xlxo

Thread: Driving Lessons

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Im looking for Driving lessons in the area of Scarborough. Please PM if you know someone legit. I also plan on doing my driving test sometime soon. So i am looking for recommendations for locations and also looking for a car to do the test that day.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's been over 20 years since I took a driving course.... I always recommend Young Drivers.
    https://www.yd.com/

Their comprehensive training program teaches you "how to drive", not "how to pass the test". I strongly recommend their "defensive driving" principles that has kept me accident free all these years. Where I live, Young Drivers also registers you for the driving test and means I can get my license sooner.

In addition to New Driver courses, Young Drivers also offers speciality driving courses like accident avoidance and driving for seniors.

Their fees include a vehicle and the first accident you avoid with the defensive driving skills will cover your learning costs. Where I live, getting your license early is a good idea as the safe driving years give you a discount when you are ready to drive.

The only training Young Driver does not offer is car racing. For that you need to look elsewhere.
    http://www.drivingunlimited.com/track.html
    Last edited by xlxo; Thu, Jul 17th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The car part is very hard to do unless you have a friend/family member who is 1) willing to let you borrow their vehicle and 2) it's one you can drive (if you are an automatic transmission person, you need an automatic transmission car).
    You may need to offer gas money to help cover use of car for any driving practice as well as the test day.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I should add... if you can't afford to take a class with Young Drivers. You can't afford to drive...
    • gas
    • parking
    • your first major auto repair
    • your first accident
    • your first moving/traffic violation
    Last edited by xlxo; Thu, Jul 17th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    The car part is very hard to do unless you have a friend/family member who is 1) willing to let you borrow their vehicle and 2) it's one you can drive (if you are an automatic transmission person, you need an automatic transmission car).
    You may need to offer gas money to help cover use of car for any driving practice as well as the test day.
    For the car that I need to take for the exam, does it have to be insured under my name? Say if i want to use a car that belongs to my relative, and it will be insured under their name, can I use it to take the test?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yes, you can borrow a relative's car. Make sure you have practiced with the car well before test day, so you can get familiar with all the mirrors (you have check them every few seconds and as another SCer put it, if your head does not move for the check, the examiner could write that you did not check your mirrors while driving), know how to parallel park, signal, etc.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Yes, you can borrow a relative's car. Make sure you have practiced with the car well before test day, so you can get familiar with all the mirrors (you have check them every few seconds and as another SCer put it, if your head does not move for the check, the examiner could write that you did not check your mirrors while driving), know how to parallel park, signal, etc.
    Can anyone give me tips on how the driving test to go? Any location recommended to do the driving test?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymonkey View Post
    For the car that I need to take for the exam, does it have to be insured under my name? Say if i want to use a car that belongs to my relative, and it will be insured under their name, can I use it to take the test?
    Yes , you can.

but any accident goes on their record as far as insurance is concerned .

Basically lend your car and you lend your insurance.

be very familiar with the car , before you take it and practice a lot on it , as each car is different.

BTW , G2 is not that hard to pass. G is harder as you go on the highway.

Be familiar with the test area in which you are planning to give your test..like the stop signs in the area, yield signs in the area , speed limits in the area, cross walks , 2 lanes or 3 lanes etc, left turn signals etc, school zone.

Practice parallel parking , 3 point turn , parking on a grade ( using your hand brake, turning the wheels in the right direction ) , reverse parking aka backing into a parking spot , lane changes , checking your blind spot etc a lot.

just a few tips :

1. Follow the speed limit. never exceed it, no matter what the other cars are doing, you will fail if you exceed it.

2. Stop sign come to a complete stop, not a rolling stop and only go after 2-3 seconds after checking left and right.

3. Check your blind spot every time you change the lane. And exaggerate your movement, move your head like an owl, so the examiner notices it.

4. Always drive in the right lane. after you take a left turn , come back in the right lane, when its safe to do so. don't keep on driving in the left lane , unless you are about to take a left turn and are required to go in that lane.

5. always signal any lane change or turn

6. don't forget the parking brake when they ask you to park anywhere. And the 4 way emergency flasher if they ask you for an emergency stop and also remember to turn the wheels in the proper direction.

7. When reversing or backing out, always turn back and look , don't just look in the rearview mirror.

8. watchout for pedestrians and let them finish crossing before initiating any turn.

9. yield to Transit buses like TTC etc if they are leaving a bus bay , changing lanes etc. same goes for ambulances , cop cars , school buses if their lights are flashing..you need to pull over to the right and stop in case of emergency vehicles.

10. don't tail gate and keep a 2 sec following distance between you and the front car.
    Cata and ladymonkey like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In BC, some insurance may be discounted by 10 yrs safe driving and anyone else driving the vehicle must have 10 yrs safe driving.

If you were in BC.... using a relative's vehicle would be a poor choice as their insurance would cover for lacking 10yrs.
    Last edited by xlxo; Tue, Aug 12th, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
    ladymonkey likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Yes , you can.

but any accident goes on their record as far as insurance is concerned .

Basically lend your car and you lend your insurance.

be very familiar with the car , before you take it and practice a lot on it , as each car is different.

BTW , G2 is not that hard to pass. G is harder as you go on the highway.

Be familiar with the test area in which you are planning to give your test..like the stop signs in the area, yield signs in the area , speed limits in the area, cross walks , 2 lanes or 3 lanes etc, left turn signals etc, school zone.

Practice parallel parking , 3 point turn , parking on a grade ( using your hand brake, turning the wheels in the right direction ) , reverse parking aka backing into a parking spot , lane changes , checking your blind spot etc a lot.

just a few tips :

1. Follow the speed limit. never exceed it, no matter what the other cars are doing, you will fail if you exceed it.

2. Stop sign come to a complete stop, not a rolling stop and only go after 2-3 seconds after checking left and right.

3. Check your blind spot every time you change the lane. And exaggerate your movement, move your head like an owl, so the examiner notices it.

4. Always drive in the right lane. after you take a left turn , come back in the right lane, when its safe to do so. don't keep on driving in the left lane , unless you are about to take a left turn and are required to go in that lane.

5. always signal any lane change or turn

6. don't forget the parking brake when they ask you to park anywhere. And the 4 way emergency flasher if they ask you for an emergency stop and also remember to turn the wheels in the proper direction.

7. When reversing or backing out, always turn back and look , don't just look in the rearview mirror.

8. watchout for pedestrians and let them finish crossing before initiating any turn.

9. yield to Transit buses like TTC etc if they are leaving a bus bay , changing lanes etc. same goes for ambulances , cop cars , school buses if their lights are flashing..you need to pull over to the right and stop in case of emergency vehicles.

10. don't tail gate and keep a 2 sec following distance between you and the front car.
    is the parking break the break you are talking about when you bring your car from "D" to "P" or is it another break that we put on the car in case the "P" isnt enough?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymonkey View Post
    is the parking break the break you are talking about when you bring your car from "D" to "P" or is it another break that we put on the car in case the "P" isnt enough?
    No Parking brake is the HAND BRAKE ..usually between the 2 front seats.

Yes you also put the car from D to P , and then lift the parking handing brake ( just for show )..after you finish parallel parking or if they ask you to do a road side emergency stop. Don't forget to put the four way emergency flashers , if they ask you to do a roadside emergency stop.

Don't forget to release the HAND BRAKE , when you drive off again ..lol

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone. Sorry for posting so late. However, I GOT MY G2 about 2 months ago!!!!!! :D

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Congratulations!

For additional training... have you consider a crash avoidance course?
    https://www.yd.com/Driver-Improvement-Program.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    No Parking brake is the HAND BRAKE ..usually between the 2 front seats.

Yes you also put the car from D to P , and then lift the parking handing brake ( just for show )..after you finish parallel parking or if they ask you to do a road side emergency stop. Don't forget to put the four way emergency flashers , if they ask you to do a roadside emergency stop.

Don't forget to release the HAND BRAKE , when you drive off again ..lol
    Yes, parking with a hand brake takes practice...
    ladymonkey likes this.

Thread Information