User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: People who want you to beg for the money you loaned them

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

deleted, wrong thread.
    Last edited by lorken; Mon, Sep 15th, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

UPDATE:

They have finally paid us after J himmed and hawwed and threatened to not pay a penny from September on. When Dec. 1 came around she started telling my husband there where issues with the bank in getting us our money, she couldn't make it to the bank that day and we'd have to wait until Friday when her husband was off work, she'd been in the hospital (this was true, she burst her stitches, but she was out of the hospital that morning), etc. My husband stood his ground, and stated that he would accept an e-mail transfer only, no cash (I was unwilling to wait until Friday, since I had been waiting for my money since May 2013). She only sent half the money on monday stating that her bank wouldn't allow the full $4000 to be transferred - I understood this and stated that the rest needed to arrive on Tuesday and no later. J said fine, she'd transfer it when she woke up on Tuesday. Tuesday morning rolls by, the afternoon is the same, and finally at around 6pm when my husband made a huge deal to her about the rest of the money, she finally sent it. WE HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN PAID BACK!!!!!

She is NEVER seeing a penny from us again and neither is anyone getting any loans of cash from us ever again!!!! I will gift less then $100 to family when they are in need, but never again will I EVER go through this B.S. in this life time!!!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

So glad it finally worked out for you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nainai0585 View Post
    UPDATE:

They have finally paid us after J himmed and hawwed and threatened to not pay a penny from September on. When Dec. 1 came around she started telling my husband there where issues with the bank in getting us our money, she couldn't make it to the bank that day and we'd have to wait until Friday when her husband was off work, she'd been in the hospital (this was true, she burst her stitches, but she was out of the hospital that morning), etc. My husband stood his ground, and stated that he would accept an e-mail transfer only, no cash (I was unwilling to wait until Friday, since I had been waiting for my money since May 2013). She only sent half the money on monday stating that her bank wouldn't allow the full $4000 to be transferred - I understood this and stated that the rest needed to arrive on Tuesday and no later. J said fine, she'd transfer it when she woke up on Tuesday. Tuesday morning rolls by, the afternoon is the same, and finally at around 6pm when my husband made a huge deal to her about the rest of the money, she finally sent it. WE HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN PAID BACK!!!!!

She is NEVER seeing a penny from us again and neither is anyone getting any loans of cash from us ever again!!!! I will gift less then $100 to family when they are in need, but never again will I EVER go through this B.S. in this life time!!!!!
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Glad you got your money! See if you can put it into TFSA to earn some interest between now and Feb. (just check if the banks offering the higher rates are going to ding for withdrawing the sum later).

Euphoria can be a good feeling for a couple of days. Given the months of hassle you may not wish to expend more energy on this duo
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am very sorry to hear this story. I can empathize.

My uncle stole my dad's death benefits when he was my guardian and invested them for himself. This is not legal. You are supposed to put any moneys for a child you are caring for in a separate account and while he could cover mortgage or rent partially with these funds, since I didn't live with him, this was not remotely legal. He even refused to buy me a prom dress or complained if he had a small copay when I had a surgery. He found a way to justify it. He invested through out the booming period of the 90s pulled out before the great recession and retired at 45, also because he used one of sisters benefits too. I was homeless at 18, he wouldn't let me stay in his house while I was transitioning to college. He was the most responsible and reasonable guardian my parents could have selected, granted their options were kinda limited but I get why they chose him. Looking historically I would have never expected this behavior. He'd tell the story different mind you. It's more complicated than what I wrote because I was in foster homes and he used insurance money to cover those expenses. However what I learned from this experience is that money can make reasonable people unreasonable. and even crazy. Who in their right mind would steal from an orphaned minor niece? More people than you care to think. He's not the happiest human being and I think I am happier. Karma will wiggle its way around I think.

I only give gifts. If people who earn a similar income offer to repay me because they forgot their wallet or something I will let them repay me but I don't give out more than 20 dollars ever. Furthermore I think that people who offer to repay and don't are not particularly trustworthy or reliable afterwards. I would still be friends with them....but I wouldn't use them as a baby sitter or travel with them after forgetting to repay me. It's a great lesson learned.

My own two cents.

Money is very rarely about not having enough. It's more often than not about not prioritizing appropriately. Personally I would write her off. I would sue in small claims court and try to collect her husbands salary if I really needed it. Otherwise I would write the debt off as a bad decision. I would never pay for someone else's vacation or loan anything larger than I can afford to gift. There is too much risk and I value friendships more than money. Again sorry you have a ****ty former friend.
    nainai0585 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information