• 4 Post By oscarandme
  • 3 Post By coupon girl
  • 3 Post By Lynn49
  • 3 Post By Frugalbigmama
  • 4 Post By GoJays
  • 2 Post By luckbealady
  • 3 Post By ninna
  • 3 Post By walkonby

Thread: Fighting for breakfast sales - Have your breakfast foods changed?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Interesting article about the fight over selling breakfast foods

Looks like cereal sales are declining (guess this is why Kelloggs has that annoying "Cereal and Milk" song)?

And customers want protein (which I guess explains all those new protein cereals/drinks)

http://online.wsj.com/articles/as-ce...ars-1406053467

Have your breakfast tastes changed?
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Kellogg's
    coupon girl and ticul like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think people just realized that cereal was not the best option in the morning - especially the popular mainstream boxed cereals - of course something like real oatmeal sure is.

Protein is def the way to go - having an egg or some meat is way better for energy and to get the brain working.

Decades ago, I was a morning cereal eater.
    Then I went to just toast.

Now I make sure I have an egg or meat - often I don't have a traditional breakfast, but leftovers, or a sandwich. It's better than no breakfast at all - which I can easily be guilty of.

From being a primary teacher, there's a HUGE difference in how children are in the morning according to what food/drink they have had for breakfast.

This all said - it's better to have something in the morning than nothing at all...
    Mia001, ninna, ticul and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like protein in the morning as well. I usually have an egg salad or tuna salad sandwich. When I have time to cook, it is an egg with toast. Weekends are generally bacon and eggs or a veggie frittata or something like that.

The kids always have cereals and waffles at their disposal for when they wake up, then I cook them something else when I get up.

Grains do not go far with them. They eat and eat and eat grains....bottomless pits.
    Natalka, ninna, ticul and 1 others like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

My husband and I have tried some of those protein cereals...we taste the vitaminy/healthy taste...ick...and the freggin' chewing, I know how our dog Sandy feels when she chews on her Dentastix and Greenies....not for us.

And oatmeal. eggs, fruit, yogurt are awesome. I think we needed that cereal phase to appreciate the simple options that were always there but in moderation and a little creativity. I will always buy my Mini-Wheats though..on sale and a coupon..of course.
    Natalka, ninna, ticul and 1 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well we use to eat cereal everymorning-but it left us with bloated stomachs -I guess your eating changes later in life is so true
    so buying less cereal
    -eating egg or English muffin and tea
    Natalka, ninna and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Before my accident I would have a protein smoothie every morning: 1c chocolate almond milk, 1 scoop of protein powder and any variety of fruit...sliced banana, frozen mixed berries etc.
    With hubby doing all the cooking, I haven't asked him to make it for me since it requires a little more prep, and my appetite has dramatically reduced since my fall.
    But when I can prepare foods again, I absolutely will make my smoothies again: delishious and filling until lunch!
    Otoh I also love steel-cut oatmeal with raisins, craisins, or chopped dates, vanilla almond milk.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I only buy cereal for the promos lol. We prefer smoothies and/or egg on an English muffin. (and oatmeal with fruit for me)

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

No breakfast.. can't do it this early in the morning. A good, strong cup of coffee is what helps me keep going.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    No breakfast.. can't do it this early in the morning. A good, strong cup of coffee is what helps me keep going.
    I will sometimes have yogurt and fruit in the morning - but more often than not I skip breakfast. I know it's bad for me, but I find it doesn't matter what I eat, any food (or food substitute like a smoothie) early in the morning leaves me feeling sick for a few hours. Normally I just have some water and a few nuts before I go out the door.
    ninna and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have never been a cereal eater because I don't enjoy the taste of milk so if I do eat cereal, I eat it dry. LOL. Nothing beats a good bowl of milk-less Shreddies as an evening snack imo.

My kids eat cereal from time to time but usually only in summer. In winter they'd rather have oatmeal or toast with PB or waffles. On weekends we always do a big breakfast with eggs and bacon or pancakes etc.

I would say my eating habits have changed thanks to this awareness of protein. I used to eat way more grains in the morning but discovered that a breakfast high in protein keeps keeps me full til lunch so most weekday mornings I eat refrigerated oatmeal...which has milk but it's mixed with yogurt and fruit so I don't notice it.
    Natalka, walkonby and torontogal12 like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

just as everyone else has said the protein is the key!
    cereal schmereal! Phooey! to it all ( except for my beloved hot large flake cooked oatmeal, I'll never leave you! )
    I have tried quite a few of the gf and organic cold flake cereals, and the cost!! ouch. but I find there is still too much sugar and salt in them, so not worth it. I keep a few boxes here for DH, he seems to enjoy the cold cereals as well as my kids.
    Much like Natalka can enjoy leftovers for brekkie quite often. Or when I feel very confident a mean green juice!

babies teach us acceptance

Thread Information