User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Body Odour and Bad Breath

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    I have a very sensitive nose( which is not fun) and this is one of my personal pet peeves. I have had to leave stores because of stinky people. I mean when you leave a trail so bad that I can smell you 2 aisles over......ugh! Old Man smell is the worse. I can understand that people can become immune to their own smell but how can they NOT notice the reaction of other people? I have physically recoiled from stinky people. My reactions can vary from taking a couple of steps back to clapping a hand over my mouth to stop from retching. I feel bad for the people that try to control BO with no luck. But the ones that are just sloven gross me out. I'm like Minou's DH in that I just don't get stinky so I'm not throwing stones at glass houses.
    hihihi that made me laugh..they do have a certain distinguishing odor about them. As a kid I used to think it was the smell of death (at that time, an 80-yr old was super ancient lol). It's almost like a rotting scent...bleh, thinking about it is making me gag already.

About the bad breath, many medications can cause this (as well as some medical conditions). I agree that it's best to leave it up to HR. They are best suited to deal with this, especially if it is a sensitive issue the worker doesn't want disclosed.
    wolfwoman likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-hate body odour -had a woman in walmart the other day that just plain stunk
    -oh and the bad breath I worked with people like that (only 1) you have to tread lightly
    -ohh and another(way to much perfume any time of the year) I had to be 2 people behind a guy in dollarstoreteother day -I think he poured or sprayed the whole mens cologne on himself (would rather smell a man freshly showered)
    CrazyQT and Sunshyne1 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ugh get off me stinky ppl! I have to say :leave it to HR the old man smell is terrible I esp hatred of smelly stinky moth balls smells just another way to really kill yourself (a neurotoxin) I rather ppl smells like lavender or those aromatherapy smell

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -

-ohh and another(way to much perfume any time of the year) I had to be 2 people behind a guy in dollarstoreteother day -I think he poured or sprayed the whole mens cologne on himself (would rather smell a man freshly showered)
    that's the worse....people who overly do it on the perfume. I think alot of people keep putting it on because they can't smell it anymore so they assume it's wore off, when it hasn't, it's just as strong as ever but they can't smell it!!!

I remember being stopped at a red light and I could smell the guy's cologne in the car next to me!
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    I would definitely want someone to discreetly let me know if either of those things were my issue. I would rather that that have everyone talking about it at work. We had that situation at a place I once worked at, one of the girls had intense body odor. We left deodorant in the bathroom with a note to "help yourself" etc. but the only thing that worked in the end was having the boss give her a heads up.
    I agree 100%. If I had bad breath or body odour, I would much rather someone tell me (so I can remedy it when possible ) than to have people avoiding me at work and me not knowing why.

BUT I think the idea of confronting someone is far more squeamish for the person doing the confronting than the one being confronted. I dunno. At home we tell each other discretely if there is a problem in that department so maybe it's a trust/security issue--the more you know someone, the easier it is to tell them because you aren't worried they will judge you or over-react. However, I wouldn't, for example, tell a complete stranger that their breath or body stinks. I would simply move away from them because I don't have a personal relationship with them.

And as other posters have suggested, there are a myriad of ways to have bad smells that aren't the result of crappy hygiene practices. For example, when my daughter is about to come down with something she veryo ften will have body odour for a couple days before hand. And needing dental work (cavities filled) can also cause halitosis. My grade 8 teacher was in that boat. At the time I thought he was just gross but hindsight tells me he was a brand new young teacher just starting his career and he couldn't afford the dental work. This was before the era of mandated salaries and benefits.

Ask HR to help you out. Trust me. This won't be the first or last time they've been commissioned with the task.
    Ciel likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Years ago my dh employed a man from Romania He had an extremely foul body odor. It got so bad that even the sales reps in the front office started complaining to my dh saying he had to do something. We both sat him down in private and spoke with him. Turns out he showered twice a day and used a deodorant the he got from his Dr. His body (pores) emitted this foul odor that his Dr said nothing more could be done about.

Needless to say everyone just kept their distance. I felt really bad for him, he was a real sweet guy. So, sometimes it's not that people don't look after themselves, sometimes it can be medical.
    Ciel, ninna, Shwa Girl and 3 others like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone Will definitely speak to HR about this again. I know it's a touchy situation and maybe I need to be a bit more sympathetic but some days it's just so overwhelming I can't take it LOL
    If you've spoken to them before about it and nothing changed keep pestering managment or HR or whoever would be the type of person responsible dealing with this situation. I worked with someone who did a physically demanding job and he just REEKED. Like 10 minutes after he passed you could still smell him. Customers were complaining, employees were complaining but because management was dreading "the talk" it took a long time for someone to speak to this man as we were all nervous of bringing it up as well.

In the end it was the fact that this man would not wash his uniform every day. I guess just being all around lazy with keeping up with laundry since he did have several uniforms.

Eventually things did improve and it was so nice because a lot of us commented on how nice he smelt, good he looked (he cleaned up his various facial hairs too) and you could see the glow on him. Then it started going downhill again as the man had personal things going on in life that I guess made things like this hard to keep up with. Priorities I guess.

Luckily I left not to long afterwards.

Moral of the story - keep bugging HR until they finally do something. They'll be glad that you will stop hounding them and glad that smelly people stop being smelly.
    Ciel likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    that's the worse....people who overly do it on the perfume. I think alot of people keep putting it on because they can't smell it anymore so they assume it's wore off, when it hasn't, it's just as strong as ever but they can't smell it!!!

I remember being stopped at a red light and I could smell the guy's cologne in the car next to me!
    One spray is all it takes in my opinion. People who use more then one spray of perfume are over doing it. I just apply one spray to my chest/neck area and I'm done.

As for the old man smell I do have to agree with a lot of you but also add in that I think old lady smell is much much worse. But then it surprises me that not all old men/ladies stink that stench. My one set of grandparents are normal smell and the other set are on the light side of old person smell. Its still a little hard to deal with.
    Ciel, wolfwoman and toronto166 like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I read recently that old person smell can be a result of infrequent showering and that the skin's bacteria contribute to the "eau de peau" aroma. If that older person also likes pungent foods, give them a wide berth.

About mothballs-there were two persons that in colder weather would wear heavy clothing that smelt of mothballs and musty basement. They took public transit. It was hard to sit nearby. Then there was a chat while walking with one of them by chance in an area along the bus route. At one time, the persons lived in a well known city with water issues aka flooding. I realized that perhaps the mothballs were their way of keeping their things in damp conditions. Mind you, a few years had passed before the chat but perspective helps when one is older.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

LOL the comments.

Problem one. Gingivitis. Solution. Free toothpaste from your stock pile

ptoblem two. Poor students. Solution free deodorant from your stock pile

That and a kind note from HR on cleanliness. No need to be stinky !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information