User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: 1000 Pencils - $10

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

If you want to donate books to your school, you might want to volunteer at the school book fair this year. Teachers and parent book fair volunteers are invited to the Scholastic Warehouse sales (here they've happened in Sept. and April). They're not open to the public. They have a huge selection of books (primary, junior, middle years, some high school, and even some grown-up titles), and almost every book is $1.25 each, aside from rock and mineral sets and Klutz books and craft kit-type things, which were $4 each last time I was there. They also have bundles of bookmarks (about 50 for $2) and "reward" type eraser sets, fancy pencils with toppers, cool pens, etc. for $0.10 each. Teachers and kids love having new books for classroom libraries!
    Patty Smyth and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Those are awesome deals!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by travel-mum View Post
    WOW WOW WOW
    To do all that for your school and give it anonymously!
    My hats off to you
    Well actually you guys all know but noone on here knows me in real life

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Patty strikes again! Big ups for being such a big supporter of the school community.
    Patty Smyth, ticul and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    757 (100%)

you are amazing Patty!
    Patty Smyth, ticul and toronto166 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Patty you never cease to amaze me. Well done!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

WTG

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

You are amazing and have really inspired me. Way to go! The kids at so lucky to have you.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Wow, your school is lucky to have you...I teach, and all the schools run out of the basics like notebooks, paper, and pencils by March Break, leaving the teachers to buy what their classrooms need, you're awesome for doing this
    Patty Smyth likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Reading these posts have made me think - is it common for parents to not buy school supplies for their own kids in some parts of Canada? When I was in elementary school, we always had a school supply list that our parents had to fulfill themselves. Crayons, notebooks, looseleaf? All came from home. Anything the school needed came out of the school district's budget for stationary supplies for teachers and the office.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chelleshocks View Post
    Reading these posts have made me think - is it common for parents to not buy school supplies for their own kids in some parts of Canada? When I was in elementary school, we always had a school supply list that our parents had to fulfill themselves. Crayons, notebooks, looseleaf? All came from home. Anything the school needed came out of the school district's budget for stationary supplies for teachers and the office.
    Im
    31 when I was a kid we had. List too...I think many school stills do especially in well off areas. My sons school asks for $20 and shoes for class and that's it! We are in a very low income area with many troubled parents and I think that has something to do with making sure everyone gets everything they need and no one having better stuff... I find it weird...I miss school supply shopping its my favorite
    HOHOHO ‘‘tis then season for trading
    check out my TL/WL fair trader, been out of the game for too long, small but HV list.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yes parents have a list, as do I, but this is just extra so that they can spend money on other things that normally they wouldn't be able to.

The school does not ask for anything this is just my way of giving back. I used to volunteer much of my time at school but can no longer do it so this is my contribution.
    ccmp1974 and MillieH like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Amazing deals. You (and your DH) are a superstars!!!!
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

Yahoo!!!
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

When I was in school, the schools in our board would provide pencils, erasers, rulers, duo tangs, paper, the basics. Plus we would have class supplies to use but not keep, like scissors and glue. Anything other than the basics we had to buy ourselves (binders, binder paper, pencil crayons, etc.)

I work in the same board I went to school in and schools no longer automatically provide those things. Schools do purchase these supplies but they are not guaranteed for everyone (no classroom I've been in has a class set of scissors for example) because budgets are slashed more and closely monitored, so we try to provide for those students whose parents cannot afford school supplies.

But those supplies run out fast, especially when parents who can afford supplies don't buy enough, and when kids waste supplies and lose them at the rate they do. I remember going through a box of 50 pencils in a month for one class, students would lose them and need another. If the supply closet has no more pencils the teacher needs to provide or else the kids can't do their math homework.

I carry around pencil boxes full of extra everything for my classes: pencils, pens, pencil crayons and markers, because we waste so much time just making sure everyone has the proper materials to do their work. In wealthier areas this isn't as much of an issue because most of the kids have more than they need and share with those that don't, but in other schools you will have kids who don't have their own pencils after the first month because the 10-pack mom bought them is all gone. The school supply drives only deliver to the most needy schools, so there's a huge middling bunch of schools that still need stuff but they aren't considered needy enough.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information