Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By tobiwobi
  • 1 Post By mulock
  • 1 Post By MrsSunshine
  • 1 Post By Chantel
  • 4 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 1 Post By luckbealady

Thread: Do yo find the following P&G comment sexist and rude?

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

So I'm reading a newspaper article on P&G consolidating its myriad of different brands and their head going on and on about it being profitable focusing on successful brands only one of which is adult diapers apparently, and then I read this quote
    And the company is entering new areas where it sees potential for growth. In the next few weeks, the company plans to start shipping adult diapers under the Always Discreet name in North America, a move intended to capitalize on the country’s aging population.

“Obviously, we’re hoping to find success in female incontinence,” Lafley said

Really? Men don't have issues when they get old? I found this comment rude and sexist and offensive to their core consumer/women. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks, does it even register and that's why he can make comments like that? Lady folk not reading the business section of the paper so won't know? Any comments welcome.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Though it does seem a bit sexist, I wonder if Lafley was just thinking about the fact that pregnancy can cause bladder problems. Maybe the Always Discreet is to be competition for Poise which seems to be geared mostly towards women as well.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As a man, I don't find the comment sexist or rude. It's simply based on fact that women have a higher probability of experiencing incontinence in their lifetime compared to men:

"The prevalence of incontinence in men of all ages is certainly lower than that for women. Large studies have indicated that there is a 3% to 11% overall prevalence rate of incontinence in the male population" (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1476070/).

"About 20 million American women and 6 million men have urinary incontinence or have experienced it at some time in their lives." (Source: http://umm.edu/health/medical/report...y-incontinence)
    tobiwobi likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I fail to see how it is sexist at all. I guess it depends what you want to read into it.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

maybe if they removed the word 'Obviously' it might seem less geared in that direction.
    as some men do experience incontinence especially if they are dealing with prostate issues.
    walkonby likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Interesting, thanks for the comments. I had a very strong negative reaction toward the comment. I'm struggling to find the male equivalent of 'feminine incontinence', is it 'masculine incontinence'? It is definitely interesting to read different reactions to the comment.

Now that I go back, the original comment was female continence.
    Last edited by tobiwobi; Fri, Aug 1st, 2014 at 02:51 PM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Not sexist particularly, but kind of made me grimace. You're hoping to find success in the embarrassing reality that is incontinence? So nice of you.
    luckbealady likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I was picturing a bunch of male execs brainstorming and one of them goes 'women have this incontinence issue!' and men do too, but it won't work to advertise to men. Because actually research shows men react to positive advertising building their confidence and women to negative messages that they need to be fixed or protected and here is a product for it. Even embarrassing male issues are advertised in a positive way like viagara and remember the erectile dysfunction ads that flopped. I guess I turned all hyper vigilant because of all this exposure to male "you're the man" ads and "fix yourself with this" ads directed at women.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No, they are a huge business and spend tons of money figuring out their demographics, and future trends as well.

Once I googled, there are many articles about it.
    http://adage.com/article/cmo-strateg...inence/294055/

I don't have this health condition, but i ABHOR the Poise commercial - (Kimberly-Clark)

"SAM knows how to take care of a woman. SAM is also very small, but SAM can last for hours!" "I have SAM in my pants right now," "I wish I had SAM in my pants."

ARGH!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think they just want to leverage the Always brand name. It's easy for them to stretch feminine pads to inconcenitence pads. Sell them on the same absorbency etc.

Safe to try it on the women who know and trust Always. Figure out how to sell properly, then roll out a male brand later
    Natalka likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    No, they are a huge business and spend tons of money figuring out their demographics, and future trends as well.

Once I googled, there are many articles about it.
    http://adage.com/article/cmo-strateg...inence/294055/

I don't have this health condition, but i ABHOR the Poise commercial - (Kimberly-Clark)

"SAM knows how to take care of a woman. SAM is also very small, but SAM can last for hours!" "I have SAM in my pants right now," "I wish I had SAM in my pants."

ARGH!
    I DESPISE those commercials. They make me so uncomfortable, and a little disgusted. If someone started telling me about "Sam in my pants" I would leave. Gross over sharing.

As far as the P&G comments...doesn't bother me, I don't find it sexist. There are a lot of incontinence products that are geared primarily/exclusively to women - that's where the money is. I think the comment itself could have been worded with more tact. Yes, men can also suffer from incontinence, but I think 1) it is more common among females, 2) women are more likely to respond to new products and promotions/advertising.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Incontinence is not specific to either gender. Some social media savvy PGer ought to flag the marketing squad/agency of record/board to recognize incontinence as such is a fact of life, not a gender issue. So OP, that line is a valid point-it does seem sexist.
    When the board members need help with the bladder issue themselves or within their families, maybe sensitivity training will gain momentuum. And gee incontinence can happen as a result of accidents, illness, injuries, post-surgery, etc.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Aug 20th, 2014 at 08:40 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information