User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By idiotcanuck
  • 1 Post By idiotcanuck
  • 1 Post By idiotcanuck

Thread: Online Prescription Glasses for $10-$20

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently decided that it was time to get actual prescription glasses instead of using cheap readers for reading and some minor distance correction. Which does actually work, if your primary vision correction need is magnification. I started looking at local options, but as I already suspected, the prices for even a simple single prescription pair were extreme IMO, even at so called discount options like Costco, Walmart. So I started looking at the online options, which I was vaguely aware were known to be significantly cheaper. To my surprise I found that there was a wide variation in price among online eyewear sellers too, but there were three ultra cheap options ($10-$20) that seemed to be viable, if quality, materials, and workmanship were OK. They are:

Eyebuydirect.com
    http://www.eyebuydirect.com/eyeglass...age=1/sort=low
    Or register through the referral link in my signature, if so inclined.

Zennioptical.com
    http://www.zennioptical.com/

Goggles4u.com
    http://www.goggles4u.com/

All are US based, but ship to Canada, and it turns out that it is quite possible, depending on your prescription and needs, to get a decent pair of single prescription glasses for $10-$20. I decided to try this on a cheap pair before ordering some more expensive progressive glasses, since I was still a bit wary of buying online. After reading the reviews and info, I decided to go with Eyebuydirect, primarily because they had a frame at $8 including free lenses, that I liked and would fit, they had a lot of promo codes 15%-30%, and you could get local cash back (6% at Ebates.ca). They like Zenni have $10 flat rate shipping to Canada, so you can get multiple pairs of glasses shipped for that same amount. I decided to order two pair to minimize the shipping cost, one clear with anti-glare, anti-scratch, and UV protection and one with just anti-scratch (included) and a medium tint for use as sunglasses. Ordering was pretty straight forward, and this company sends status updates at each stage of production and when shipped. 9 days later they arrived without duty or customs fees owing, in separate boxes each inside a plastic glass case wrapped in a microfiber cleaning cloth. The frames were nice and were sturdy, fit and finish were good, with no gaps between the lenses and frames, lens surfaces were clear and unblemished, and I guess most importantly the prescription seemed correct. I could see with them without any discomfort or eye strain. Overall I have no complaints, total cost was around $37 canadian including shipping, after CB, it would have been around $34 had I found a 30% promo code in time, instead of 20%, and I still have enough insurance cap left to order a pair of more expensive progressive lens glasses, now that I know this works. Although I could live with these glasses quite well, other than having to use a pair of readers for small text.

Here is a price comparison:

Eyebuydirect
    Frames start at $6 and include free basic 1.5 single prescription lenses with anti-scratch coating. Decent frame choices in the $6-$9 range, at least for my taste. Antiglare and UV are extra, $6.95 and $4.95. Tint is $4.95. There are 15-30% promo codes around, (Promo TB20 almost always works for 20% off on first orders)and sometimes they have a BOGO offer which gives you a second pair of glasses with free frames and basic lenses, if you buy a pair of +$15 frames. Lens upgrades are extra on both pair. As above, 6% cashback at ebates.ca, and more at US CB sites. EBD also has a referral program. If you refer someone, who registers and makes a purchase they give you a $10 credit. No restriction on the amount of the purchase or number of referrals that I could find. $10 flat rate shipping to Canada.

Zenni
    Frames start at $6.95 with free single prescription 1.5 or 1.57 lenses, including anti-scratch, and UV coating, $4.95 for anti-glare. $4.95 for Tint.
    Not a great selection of frames in the $6.95+ range IMO, but overall a bit cheaper if you see inexpensive frames that you like.
    Not too many promo codes or offers, currently SCHOOL10 for 10%. Cashback from US sites only. $10 flat rate shipping to Canada.

Goggles4U
    This one is the cheapest option, but there seem to be more complaints of poor quality, online.
    Frames start at $0 with 1.57 single prescription lenses for $6.94. Includes anti-scratch and UV protection. Anti-glare $4.95. Tint $9.95.
    Shipping $4.95 per pair to Canada. Promo Code GLASSES990 brings a free frame pair, without extras, to $9.90 US shipped, or takes $2 off more expensive purchases and gives free shipping.
    Cashback is available at US sites.

If you are thinking about jumping on to the online glasses bandwagon, I would recommend doing your own research on these companies, and doing a comparison of your exact purchase at each vendor, there is enough variation in pricing and offers that any one could be the best for a specific purchase.
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Guess, Walmart
    Last edited by idiotcanuck; Sun, Aug 17th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
    ticul likes this.
    Sign up at Ebates.ca for a 5% or more cash rebate and cash rebates at most online sellers. Try Eyebuydirect.com for cheap $20 online prescription eye glasses.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

great post thanks

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here is some information on lens types and applications.
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/how-to-choose.htm
    ticul likes this.
    Sign up at Ebates.ca for a 5% or more cash rebate and cash rebates at most online sellers. Try Eyebuydirect.com for cheap $20 online prescription eye glasses.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just received a cheap pair from Goggles4U. Used the GLASSES990 code and got the above for $11.31 cdn shipped. First impression is really positive. Fit and finish are good, prescription seems good and they came with a case, a cloth, and a spare pair of nose pads. Frames seem a bit lighter duty than my EBD pair above, but still acceptable. They are lighter weight too, so they may be more comfortable. I have to say that so far G4U seems to be a good option for those looking for glasses as cheap as possible.

So if you need just a simple pair of single prescription glasses, cheap, pick some 0$ frames, choose 1.57 CR39 Lenses for $9.94, this includes anti-scratch, UV coating. Add anti-glare for $4.95. Use code GLASSES990 and your total will correct to $9.89 US shipping included.
    Last edited by idiotcanuck; Thu, Oct 2nd, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
    ticul likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thank you for the info. We (DH&me) have been thinking for a while now to order them on line. We were not to sure about it but now with this info. maybe we will. Both of us are due this year for new prescriptions glasses.

Again, Thank you so much for the info...................................

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ticul View Post
    Thank you for the info. We (DH&me) have been thinking for a while now to order them on line. We were not to sure about it but now with this info. maybe we will. Both of us are due this year for new prescriptions glasses.

Again, Thank you so much for the info...................................
    Glad it was of use to you. In case you didn't run across it already, here is a link to my coupon/discount thread for these online eyeglass sellers. If/when you decide to give online glasses try.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/389368-...gles4u-canada/
    Last edited by idiotcanuck; Thu, Oct 2nd, 2014 at 05:52 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cool!

Thread Information