User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree746Likes

Thread: Chemotherapy Starts Soon

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

As some of you already know I have Breast Cancer. I will start Chemo very shortly, then radiation, radiation, and hormone therapy is no good for me because all my hormones tested negitive.

I just need to know how was it for you when you had chemo? Were you sick alot, hair fall out? Did you get a wig?

Thank you all of my Smart Canuck friends

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Horndogg; Wed, Aug 6th, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wishing you all the best with your treatments.

Thinking positive thoughts and praying for you!

Name:  hugsbearflowers.gif
Views: 505
Size:  53.9 KB

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I've never had to undergo chemo but my FIL is going through it right now. Apparently every chemo plan is different depending on the type of cancer and the severity. For FIL, he is on a regimen of chemo for 3 consecutive days, followed by 3 weeks off then rinse and repeat for 4X total. He has a very rare form of cancer but apparently this one is highly responsive to chemo which is good because it's darned near everywhere in him: liver, bladder, intestines, stomach, prostate, and there's even some spots on his lungs too.

He finished the first round of chemo and felt waaaay better. The tumour he has is massive and was causing him not to be hungry or able to eat so after the first week of cancer we noticed a huge improvement in that area.

During the weeks when he has chemo he feels quite nauseous. He gets medication during the chemo week to assist with the nausea. Apparently this medication isn't covered by our provincial health plan (OHIP) and costs MIL close to $500/week but it's worth it for her because he's already so thin from not eating that we just can't afford to have him not eat.

After one week of treatment his hair began to fall out in clumps. He finished his second week of treatment last week and his hair is quite patchy now.

For him, the week AFTER chemo seems to be worse for him than the week of treatment itself. He is exhausted and feels so lousy that he wonders how on earth he can possibly do it again. He is on some pretty heavy pain meds too so while he presents as 'with it," I half suspect he is sometimes not with it whatsoever.

But I suspect his is a much different case than yours too- cancer has pretty much eaten him alive so we are talking about chemo to extend his life by a year or two if we are lucky. So don't take his reactions/responses as the "be all end all." Hopefully someone with breast cancer will post their experiences on here since I suspect theirs would be far more relevant to you than his.

Horndogg--do you have someone who can help you out while you go through this? I just can't imagine FIL going through this alone; there's no way he could manage. And he is fortunate enough to live 5 minutes away from the London Regional Cancer Centre. How close are you to the place where you will receive treatment??

Do you have someone who can drive you to the chemo appointments and keep you company while you undergo treatment? Do you have someone who can help you out at home too while you recover?

There are many options for help if you don't have it. Some free ones even! I see you are from Western Ontario, so be sure to access the services of your local Community Care Access Centre (CCAC): http://healthcareathome.ca/southwest/en. Through them you can get help for yourself at home including nursing staff if needed. They could probably also hook you up with a home care person just to help out with light housekeeping that you don't feel up to. In order to access this resource you have to call them yourself and make arrangements to have an assessment done. A tip: they will try to do the absolute bare minimum so don't be afraid to be pushy and to tell them you need more. I mean it. Be obnoxious and persistent. LOL. Twice I've had to do this with ailing parents. For example, we solicited them for caregiver respite for MIL and they originally said they could give her 3 hours a week until we pushed harder and got 10 hours week for her.

Be sure to check out Cancer Care Ontario: https://www.cancercare.on.ca/ for resources as well

If you are undergoing treatment through the London Regional Cancer Program, they have a very informative website: http://www.lhsc.on.ca/About_Us/LRCP/

At LRCP they offer wigs to lend for free to help with temporary hair loss from chemo.

There is also a way to get free or subsidized mastectomy bras and swimsuits through the LRCP Patient Assistance program. Here is the link to the PDF application: http://www.lhsc.on.ca/Patients_Famil...undFormv19.pdf

Sorry that most of these links are for London; it's just what I know the most about. If you aren't receiving treatment in London, be sure to ask staff about all that stuff; I'm sure other cancer programs will have similar type services.

And if you don't have someone who can help get you there, ask also about arranging a volunteer driver to drive you to and from chemo appointments.

As for radiation and its effects, we haven't crossed that bridge yet with FIL. Really, the only thing I know about radiation is that it's very hard on your bones making them more suscpetible to breaking. But that's all I know.
    Judstir, Horndogg, strew and 12 others like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

PS: I forgot to add that I wish you strength and courage and want to you know that I will be sending positive vibes your way and prayers too.

*hugs*
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

OMG, I sure wish you all the luck in the world. Hugs and prayers your way. Take good care during the treatment as you will need lots of rest. Take good care because we care........................................

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

(((HUGS))) I have never been through Chemo but have friends who have and everyone seems to react to it differently. The most common side effect I hear most complain about is that food will lose it's taste and everything will taste metallic, which makes them not want to eat.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Wishing you well.

Everyone will have a different story. But the thing to remember is many of the stories will be coming from SURVIVORS.
    My experience is now 15 years ago. Won't bore you with too many details as methods change with research. My hair started to fall out then they changed the drugs. Had chemo and radiation at the same time just weeks after my mastectomy. Was exhausted all the time.

The hardest part was losing my mental capabilities (focus, memory). It is called chemo brain (to some of us). It is common. You feel frustrated. This too will pass. The reason it was hard for me was that no one prepared me for it.

When this is all done, a lot of women go from the "Life is Wonderful and enjoy every moment" to a depressed state. This is not uncommon but again rarely talked about.

There are support groups. The need to talk about things really helps some people. For myself I joined a Breast Cancer Survivor Dragon boat team. This is a group of survivors trying to get better and stronger and have a lot of fun in the process.

Trusting you have some to help you with the appointments, driving, meals, pharmacy runs, etc. You may not be mentally on your game and it is okay to get help.

If there is anyway I can help please let me know.
    Last edited by Cake; Sat, Aug 9th, 2014 at 05:05 PM.
    Judstir, Horndogg, Natalka and 8 others like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Horndogg, first and foremost I wish you the best of luck! I send you positive vibes and good thoughts as you embark on your journey. As for chemotherapy, I don't know, but it's a great question. I think everyone reacts different as some take chemo pills, some take the IV, etc.

I would speak to your Oncologist and ask them what they believe you will experience based on your specific treatment. I wish you the best!

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Sending prayers for strength and healing for you and well wishes. Take care.

Sent from my mobile device, somewhere over the teacup :D
    Judstir, Horndogg, Natalka and 7 others like this.

“For one bad night there are a thousand amazing nights” - Gavin DeGraw

cookie muncher
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Take care and best wishes in your treatments.
    Judstir, Horndogg, Natalka and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I'm wishing you the very best as you start this journey. Stay strong my dear, and know that we are all thinking and praying for you
    Judstir, Horndogg, Natalka and 7 others like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Thank you everyone I love you all. You guys mean the world to me. I am a triple negative which means I cannot take hormone drugs they will not work. Went for blood work today and going to talk to the dietician tomorrow. I lost 15 lbs a few months ago and thanks to my wonderful daughter(horndoggJr.) she put the 15lbs back on me. she cooks great meals everyday. I will keep you all up to date. Thank you all again
    Judstir, TaraF, Lynn49 and 9 others like this.
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Oh dear, thinking of you with heartfelt thoughts and prayers. I have no advice to give because I do not know anyone that has had cancer that I know of but all the heartfelt advice from the members that have gone through this horrible "thing" is what I have read about it too.

Think positive and as previous members mentioned accept help and ask for help and we are here for you, please let us know how you are doing. Good luck little one, you will be in our thoughts.
    Horndogg, TaraF, Dee09 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Can only offer my thoughts and prayers Horndogg. And bless horndoggJr too .
    Horndogg, Lynn49, ninna and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thoughts and prayers winging their way to you.....all the very best wishes for the strength and courage to get through this challenge towards healthy happy days.
    Horndogg, Natalka, TaraF and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information