User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree372Likes

Thread: could you give up ALL sugar for a year?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Could I give up all sugar? Done & DONE! Upon my Oncology results I went Vegetarian - cold turkey lol and I also cut all flour and sugar from my diet. All. Immediately. It's tough. Not in the sense that I'm craving it and I want it, because I don't. I actually feel SO much better not eating that stuff, but it's tough avoiding it. Because sugar is in everything. I'm constantly reading labels and if it has added sugar I simply don't buy it. Did you know Salsa has added sugar? Salsa! I found a delicious Organic Salsa at Zehrs that has no added sugar and it's amazing, but every other bottle I picked up has added sugar. It's insane.

I was shopping tonight and looking at some frozen veg when I came across a mixed medley, 3rd ingredient in? Sugar!!!! And it wasn't in a sauce, it was just the vegetables, spices and sugar. It's everywhere. I passed.

Whether it's coincidence or not, I've also dropped 14 lbs in that time.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Darth, funny how many of my friends have either the sweet or the salty cravings. I own up to both sadly, often in unison.
    What I have come to realize though is that it is not until a person's health worsens or weight creeps up that one starts to closely examine that old saying " you are what you eat ".

I can't remember who makes it but there is a seriously awesome high coaco sea-salt chocolate...

eta...I'm almost certanly a penguin in real life cos I love fish and seafood. I'd rather have that than most meats..
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Sat, Aug 9th, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Andit, macw1960, lecale and 2 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

was it this one Darth?

we were going to the movies a while ago and picked one up like this to share amongst the 4 of us, well.....DH and DS got none! DD and I sat close together, lol. See? we try and try and at the time thought oh dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you? ( yeah keep telling yourself that I say now )
    Andit, macw1960, ninna and 2 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Could I give up all sugar? Done & DONE! Upon my Oncology results I went Vegetarian - cold turkey lol and I also cut all flour and sugar from my diet. All. Immediately. It's tough. Not in the sense that I'm craving it and I want it, because I don't. I actually feel SO much better not eating that stuff, but it's tough avoiding it. Because sugar is in everything. I'm constantly reading labels and if it has added sugar I simply don't buy it. Did you know Salsa has added sugar? Salsa! I found a delicious Organic Salsa at Zehrs that has no added sugar and it's amazing, but every other bottle I picked up has added sugar. It's insane.

I was shopping tonight and looking at some frozen veg when I came across a mixed medley, 3rd ingredient in? Sugar!!!! And it wasn't in a sauce, it was just the vegetables, spices and sugar. It's everywhere. I passed.

Whether it's coincidence or not, I've also dropped 14 lbs in that time.
    Congratulations on that positive step to better your health Tara! ( I applaud you!! ) Dropping the weight is always a plus for us ladies BUT the feeling better??!! THAT is the real payoff. It is your body saying THANK YOU!
    Oh and yes, the darn organic section!! GRRRR! I also picked up organic salsa last year, got it home and then saw organic freaking sugar was in it!! It is a covert operation to scour the products that fit into the plan.
    Going cold turkey is the only way, there is no weaning off of this stuff, ( sugar) I know that now for myself it is just slow torture thinking I can sometimes have this or that. Some can do it, ( I hate you ....lol ) clearly I cannot. Now someone PLEASE invent a set of shopping blinders for me to wear that will filter out all the stuff I should no longer toss into my cart.
    Andit, TaraF, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

was it this one Darth?

we were going to the movies a while ago and picked one up like this to share amongst the 4 of us, well.....DH and DS got none! DD and I sat close together, lol. See? we try and try and at the time thought oh dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you? ( yeah keep telling yourself that I say now )
    drools....
    Andit, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

A few years ago I went off all added sugar for a month. It was the longest, most brutal month. First I got the shakes, then headaches, followed by blurry vision. I got my eyes checked but they could find no cause except maybe because my blood sugars dropped too fast. Then came the mood swings (hubby couldn`t even look at me without me snarling at him) Worst of all was the crippling depression...I truly wanted to die. I gradually started to eat sugar again and now I`m back to eating it a lot. I know I should cut it out of my diet but I can`t face living through that hell again.
    Andit, Natalka, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I do not think I could totally cut out sugar but am working on cutting back. I am trying to cut back on prepackaged foods so this way I know exactly what is in what I am eating and can make modifications to my tastes. It is funny I do not like overly sweet foods but cannot give up sugar in my tea.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

crochetlady I commend you for trying for a whole month. If your reaction was that intense I can understand why you returned to eating some again. At some point the stars will align and you will give it up with ease, fingers crossed for you!

Sassy isn't this funny? You take sugar in tea but are not a real sweet eater, whereas I have always done my tea and coffee without sugar ( often drink coffee black as well ) but would always want that sweet pastry or treat on a side plate.
    Andit, macw1960, ninna and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Congratulations on that positive step to better your health Tara! ( I applaud you!! ) Dropping the weight is always a plus for us ladies BUT the feeling better??!! THAT is the real payoff. It is your body saying THANK YOU!
    Oh and yes, the darn organic section!! GRRRR! I also picked up organic salsa last year, got it home and then saw organic freaking sugar was in it!! It is a covert operation to scour the products that fit into the plan.
    Going cold turkey is the only way, there is no weaning off of this stuff, ( sugar) I know that now for myself it is just slow torture thinking I can sometimes have this or that. Some can do it, ( I hate you ....lol ) clearly I cannot. Now someone PLEASE invent a set of shopping blinders for me to wear that will filter out all the stuff I should no longer toss into my cart.
    I've been a lifelong yo-yo'er, and I've never been able to "do it". In my current situation though it's been quite easy, I pretty much looked at dietary change black and white: Do I want to live or die? The answer was easy. I use to have the WORST sweet tooth in the world, but I avoid sugar like the plague now and interestingly now that I don't eat it I don't crave it. As for organic, just because it is organic doesn't always mean healthier either!

The salsa I purchased only has (all organic) tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapenos, cider vinegar, green pepper. I was extremely excited when I found it! lol And at only $2.50 a jar I was REALLY excited

I do find that what ever someone's vice may be they oftentimes do have to just do it "cold turkey". Weaning doesn't work for a lot of people.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I gave up sugar and flour 13 years ago after my MS diagnosis. I've been mostly in remission with only 2 relapses. I cook with nut and coconut flours and lupin flour and use natural stevia for sweetening things. If I have a small piece of cake or a regular cookie at a party, I make sure I eat super clean for the next while. One of the benefits of a sugar free lifestyle is a lean body, great energy and youthfulness. I am often asked for advice on staying slim and feeling young, I tell them about living sugar free, and there have been a few converts. However, most people don't want to make the changes necessary to achieve their health and fitness goals. I get it,it can seem overwhelming at first, but once you start, it gets easier.
    Last edited by sueshe; Mon, Aug 11th, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I've been a lifelong yo-yo'er, and I've never been able to "do it". In my current situation though it's been quite easy, I pretty much looked at dietary change black and white: Do I want to live or die? The answer was easy. I use to have the WORST sweet tooth in the world, but I avoid sugar like the plague now and interestingly now that I don't eat it I don't crave it. As for organic, just because it is organic doesn't always mean healthier either!

The salsa I purchased only has (all organic) tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapenos, cider vinegar, green pepper. I was extremely excited when I found it! lol And at only $2.50 a jar I was REALLY excited

I do find that what ever someone's vice may be they oftentimes do have to just do it "cold turkey". Weaning doesn't work for a lot of people.

Tara, that was my big disappointment in the organic section of grocery stores and in health food stores. What matters more to me is the elimination of sugar and salt, ifit happens to be organic too then bonus! But often I find it is a hit and miss.
    So because I am tired of searching around, this a.m. I made my own salsa for the first time! ( from a combo of You Tube posters recipes ) Sweetened with a teensy bit of Stevia, but next time I won't even use the Stevia because it was even better tasting before I added it. The best part is I filled 6 Classico size pasta sauce jars and the liquid that seems to be present makes the most delicious salad dressing, ( I poured it over my dinner greens tonight, Mmmm! who would've thunk it??

Quote Originally Posted by sueshe View Post
    I gave up sugar and flour 13 years ago after my MS diagnosis. I've been mostly in remission with only 2 relapses. I cook with nut and coconut flours and lupin flour and use natural stevia for sweetening things. If I have a small piece of cake or a regular cookie at a party, I make sure I eat super clean for the next while. One of the benefits of a sugar free lifestyle is a lean body, great energy and youthfulness. I am often asked for advice on staying slim and feeling young, I tell them about living sugar free, and there have been a few converts. However, most people don't want to make the changes necessary to achieve their health and fitness goals. I get it,it can seem overwhelming at first, but once you start, it gets easier.
    Oh congrats on taking some positive steps to better your health sueshe!! That is so wonderful that you had improvements that drastic, and also wonderful that others want to " know your secret ". Eventually I believe more and more people will come to a crossroads themselves and become very selective about what they are eating. For some like you a diagnosis was the turning point, for others it may just be that inner voice nagging at them to change some things around to make their body function better.
    Thanks for your comment!!
    Andit, macw1960 and ninna like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Just came across this - lots of info I didn't know

https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/10-natura...133811843.html

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Just came across this - lots of info I didn't know

https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/10-natura...133811843.html
    Great info in this very recent article Natalka, the only one I was unaware about was the Lo Han one they use in China.
    I have to agree with L. Davis, ( in the comments below the article ) which was:

This article is heavily biased--even when the alternative is healthy, it will 'trick you into desiring more sweets'--why not stop after the first few paragraphs and just say, "DON'T USE ANY SWEETS SO AS NOT TO BE TRICKED INTO EATING MORE SWEETS"--that's the bottom line of this article--I am a health food fanatic, a runner, etc., and I have a perfect hatred and disgust for the sugar industry (especially the soda companies who ought to be sued as were the tobacco companies) for perpetrating their obesity causing products on the general public--but when there are healthy alternatives, let's not muddy the waters with bias and 'trickery.'

I feel Stevia gets slammed unfairly many times because there is much confusion on " which " Stevia people are referring to.
    It must be the pure, certified organic ( 100% Stevia rebaudianna leaf extract ) and you will NOT get any bitter taste if you do not use too much. People use this stuff without reading how miniscule the amount needed really is, most never believe so little could sweeten a whole jug of something , so they sprinkle more in. That is why I still have over half of the huge container left that I bought. It takes forever to use up unless you are baking daily.
    My next step is to only have unpasteurized honey here. ( Thanks Lynn49 for that info ), I personally don't reach for that, but occasionally DH squeezes a dollop into his tea.
    Ultimate goal is to go without any of them.....ahhh one day!
    Andit, macw1960 and ninna like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think a lot of people go astray so to say based on labels of products. A lot of people I know think Gluten Free products are diet products but they are not they are gluten free not calorie or sugar or fat free. But the on the flip side of that you have diet products like Weight Watcher meals which have lower fat or calories but are through the roof with sugar and salt.

Even than you have to wonder about so called healthy foods. Let's take coconut oil for example yes it is a healthier alternative to butter but really how healthy is a dish when you are using 1 or 2 cups of coconut oil, it is still an oil. Personal I have never looked at the nutrition facts about coconut oil as it is not an option for us we have a coconut allergy but I just cannot see it being that much better for you in large quantities.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I think a lot of people go astray so to say based on labels of products. A lot of people I know think Gluten Free products are diet products but they are not they are gluten free not calorie or sugar or fat free. But the on the flip side of that you have diet products like Weight Watcher meals which have lower fat or calories but are through the roof with sugar and salt.

Even than you have to wonder about so called healthy foods. Let's take coconut oil for example yes it is a healthier alternative to butter but really how healthy is a dish when you are using 1 or 2 cups of coconut oil, it is still an oil. Personal I have never looked at the nutrition facts about coconut oil as it is not an option for us we have a coconut allergy but I just cannot see it being that much better for you in large quantities.
    Ashley you are correct about the gluten free processed crap they are peddling and the Weight Watcher's or other " diet " prepared things. Any of them, ALL of them have one reason for you to buy their product and it is not because they care about your health or weight, it is JUST to sell ( as much as they can )

On the topic of coconut oil, I do use that when I bake as well, however I have never had a recipe where a cup or 2 cups goes into one dish. That would not make sense with ANY oil. Most recipes or dishes are in tblsp amounts, or at the very most 1/4 cup. Even in that case you can cut the fat by using part unsweetened applesauce instead. There is usually a way around the fat, but the trouble is we have to MAKE the dishes at home to be sure of what goes into them.
    Andit, macw1960 and SassyAshley like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information